UnderGround Forums

What if ... >> the sport will be better off when gsp RETIRES!

3/17/13 10:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/17/13 10:08 PM
Some basketball fans would rather watch the Harlem Globetrotters over the Spurs

Some boxing fans would rather watch Butterbean over B-Hop

Some mma fans would rather watch Kimbo over GSP

The best really don't give a flying fuck what fans think, the ones who care what fans think are the ones who need the fans to like them in order to stay on the roster. GSP is the only fighter in the history of combat sports to lose on average 1 round every 4 fights, he is making history and some don't like it or simply don't have the intelligence to appreciate it. Enjoy it while it lasts because there will never be another and when he is gone he will be missed.

MMA fighters styles are a result of the evolution of the rules, GSP didn't make the rules, he adapted to them better than anyone else. He is in his mental prime, watching him move around from side to side and knowing what Diaz was planning to do before Diaz even knew what he was going to do was a thing of beauty. Like I said though, he isn't for everybody, especially the felony fight/kimbo slice fanbase
3/17/13 10:14 PM
man meets fate

Edited: 03/17/13 10:16 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - Some basketball fans would rather watch the Harlem Globetrotters over the Spurs

The best really don't give a flying fuck what fans think, the ones who care what fans think are the ones who need the fans to like them in order to stay on the roster. GSP is the only fighter in the history of combat sports to lose on average 1 round every 4 fights, he is making history and some don't like it or simply don't have the intelligence to appreciate it. Enjoy it while it lasts because there will never be another and when he is gone he will be missed.

MMA fighters styles are a result of the evolution of the rules, GSP didn't make the rules, he adapted to them better than anyone else. He is in his mental prime, watching him move around from side to side and knowing what Diaz was planning to do before Diaz even knew what he was going to do was a thing of beauty. Like I said though, he isn't for everybody, especially the felony fight/kimbo slice fanbase

But I hate kombo. Why can the new era guys like aldo, and rory macdonald can finish fights and gsp can't? Br tter yet, why can they push the action and gsp is only good at nuetralizing his opponents?
3/17/13 10:27 PM
dubate
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes because comparing one of, if not the best MMA boxer who also happens to be a legit Gracie black belt to the Harlem Globetrotters is totally apt.
The funny thing about people like you (the viewpoint) is you only respect winning. So you are the fans GSP doesn't want to lose by risking it all. This viewpoint usually coincides with the statement (thanks for not letting me down on this one) with the people who find GSPs style uninspiring only like Kimbo type fighters.
As if knocking someone out is the only way to finish a fight. It's fine to like GSP as a fighter, to each their own, but to act like the people who criticize his "do enough to win" approach are off-base is a little disingenuous. Phone Post
3/17/13 10:52 PM
D241
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dubate is on my radar as one of this sites QUALITY POSTERS.

I'd vote you up, but I already did 3 times today.

3/17/13 10:54 PM
D241
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - Some basketball fans would rather watch the Harlem Globetrotters over the Spurs

I've officially started missing GSP after last nights performance  :(

There will be 2 GSP's in my eyes. George Rush St Pierre, and George Safe Pierre. Rush was a fucking bad ass.
3/17/13 10:59 PM
badboyhere

well if diaz hits so hard and gsp doesnt, how come they were both still standing at the end?

they both punched and they both took the shots!

gsp controlled the whole fight...

the end
3/17/13 11:01 PM
suess
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 - 

i think we get like 50 votes a day or somethin

3/17/13 11:04 PM
Brabatross

man meets fate - For fans who want to see fight.Call me a troll or not a reel mma fan (I'm a fight fan, sorry) but, for the fans who grew up watching fedor, wand, liddell, gomi, or even hughes.. its sad to see what gsp has done to neglect away from that. I'm happy he took his game to a whole nother level, but, in doing so, he has used his vastly improved all round skill set to use it as defense, and amount no offense if his life depended on it. Its sad to see, cause growing up, George "Rush" St. PIERRE was a killer with a very dynamic striking game mixed with wrestling, overwhelming and devastating gnp, and an agressive submission gAme. He is not that anymore, and is proud of it. I don't hate or even nvy the man, he did what he had to do to make millions, but also changed the sport into something it was never meant to be. He has made an era for the tremendous athletes with good wrestling to dominate and neutralize a more well rounded fighter and call themself the best fighter in the world (although gsp is honest, and says mixed martial artist, and not a fighter). The new era of mma is what gsp is and what it will continue to become until he is gone. Then once he is gone I just pray this sport goes back to what it used to be, and what we grew up falling in love with.

English obviously isn't your first language.
3/17/13 11:06 PM
ChaosOverkill
551 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sings:

Crying free...

Crying free...

Crying faggot.

Crying faggot crying free; see the faggot, see the crying faggot, crying faggot crying free

3/17/13 11:13 PM
Brabatross

man meets fate - 

But I hate kombo. Why can the new era guys like aldo, and rory macdonald can finish fights and gsp can't? Br tter yet, why can they push the action and gsp is only good at nuetralizing his opponents?

Write in your native language first, then use Google translate to translate it. It'll come out much better than you trying to translate it yourself.
3/17/13 11:17 PM
Brabatross

dubate -  Yes because comparing one of, if not the best MMA boxer who also happens to be a legit Gracie black belt to the Harlem Globetrotters is totally apt.
The funny thing about people like you (the viewpoint) is you only respect winning. So you are the fans GSP doesn't want to lose by risking it all. This viewpoint usually coincides with the statement (thanks for not letting me down on this one) with the people who find GSPs style uninspiring only like Kimbo type fighters.
As if knocking someone out is the only way to finish a fight. It's fine to like GSP as a fighter, to each their own, but to act like the people who criticize his "do enough to win" approach are off-base is a little disingenuous. Phone Post

Personally I like when a fighter fights smart and tries to win. Losing the stand-up? get a takedown. I can't stand it when a fighter is getting picked apart on the feet and he just keeps coming forward and doesn't change anything.
3/17/13 11:34 PM
dubate
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My point is that trying to win and trying to finish your opponent don't have to be at odds with each other. Running at your opponent with your arms flailing berserker style is not skillfull neither is consistently walking into punches. My point is that if GSP is winning the stand up fight (like with Kos) why can't he go for the finish? The answer is mathematical, if he continues he has an almost 0% chance of losing if however he tries to go for the finish that number jumps way up. You can call that smart and love him for it, I call it safe and uninspiring. If you could fill two organizations of exactly the same elite skill level of fighters but one organization has fighters playing it safe/smart, and the other with fighters trying to submit or finish their opponents, I know which one I would watch, I just can't imagine I would be the only one. Phone Post
3/18/13 4:43 AM
D241

suess - 
D241 - 

i think we get like 50 votes a day or somethin

I meant I voted up a thread he started to give him 3. I see right now he's back where he was before I did it. Haters. And you're right it's 50 votes a day I figured that out last week on a thread of mine where I had a year to watch. So many awesome replies I went to vote someone up I knew I hadn't voted up, and read a different message about I'm maxed out.

dubate -  My point is that trying to win and trying to finish your opponent don't have to be at odds with each other. Running at your opponent with your arms flailing berserker style is not skillfull neither is consistently walking into punches. My point is that if GSP is winning the stand up fight (like with Kos) why can't he go for the finish? The answer is mathematical, if he continues he has an almost 0% chance of losing if however he tries to go for the finish that number jumps way up. You can call that smart and love him for it, I call it safe and uninspiring. If you could fill two organizations of exactly the same elite skill level of fighters but one organization has fighters playing it safe/smart, and the other with fighters trying to submit or finish their opponents, I know which one I would watch, I just can't imagine I would be the only one. Phone Post

Preach on brotha

3/18/13 5:20 AM
I_LOST_A_SN_BET_TO_LEGHOUND
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yabadaba -
DoctorVanNostran -  The forum will be better off when you retire. Phone Post

\Thread

. Phone Post
3/18/13 5:20 AM
Dmoney35
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DoctorVanNostran - The forum will be better off when you retire. Phone Post
KAAAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOM

GTFO Phone Post
3/18/13 5:36 AM
meekie01

Agreed Phone Post
3/18/13 5:38 AM
meekie01

Although I think the only way the boring defensive fights will go away is if the ufc continue to cut and punish those that put on consistant boring fights... ala jon fitch... if gsp retires somebody else will get that spot and have all that stuff to lose so will become defensive and protecr it. Phone Post
3/18/13 5:46 AM
Foob
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Give GSP knees to the head on the ground, and everyone will love him again

3/18/13 9:33 AM
Vitor29

Lmao@ that fight being "a thing of beauty" and gsp being in his "mental prime". Stop the faggotry. First of all that fight was two guys making no attempts to finish the other. Second of all GSP phoned that fight in, you can tell now he doesn't care about fighting he was in that ring for paycheque, nothing more. His passion for fighting is gone, a blind man could see that. So spare us all the "thing of beauty" bullshit. Phone Post
3/18/13 9:34 AM
6ULDV8

As soon as you finish all the guys GSP hasn't you can have an opinion bro.

So get to work.

3/18/13 9:36 AM
GloverRampagedMyBrownEye
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DoctorVanNostran - The forum will be better off when you retire. Phone Post
Lol. This Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.