UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Karate Hottie: Obviously, sex sells

3/27/13 11:22 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
900 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Sports Illustrated caught up with Michelle "Karate Hottie" Waterson, ahead of her headlining fight with Jessica Penne at Invicta FC 5: Penne vs. Waterson, live via online PPV on 5 April 2013.

Sports Illustrated: The marketing of female athletes is always tricky, especially when it comes to appearance. With your background as a model and nickname as the "Karate Hottie," how do you want to be marketed as an athlete?

Michelle Waterson: People are going to see me however they want to see me. Obviously, sex sells and whatnot. Part of that, as far as my image, was me. When I was first getting into it, I was working at Hooters and I was doing bikini competitions, photo shoots for calendars, and this and that. But it's not necessarily who I am now. If people want to view me as that and label me as that, that's perfectly fine. Because if that's going to get me in the door so people can actually see how skilled I am as an athlete, that's fine. I'll play the game. To me, people are going to judge you no matter what, no matter how you put yourself out there. In my opinion, they can judge however they want to. Hopefully, it's in a positive light.

SI: You took a brief hiatus from fighting to give birth to your daughter, Araya, who just turned two. How has motherhood changed you as a fighter?

MW: Once I had my daughter, it heightened my sense of reality ... It makes you really question, is this something I should be doing with my life and for my daughter? Will my daughter look up to me because of it? It's made me more passionate about [fighting] and it's made me more driven because I want to show my daughter that you can go after your dreams and still be a good mother. Anything is possible. If I can show that to her, and just set an example with what I'm doing with my life, that would be the best teacher to her.

Read entire interview...

Michelle Waterson - The Karate Hottie

3/27/13 11:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lahzerous
263 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I guess my thread just became pointless :/
3/27/13 11:24 PM
DreamMMA
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Count me in for 2. Phone Post
3/27/13 11:27 PM
dirt24d
662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
3/27/13 11:27 PM
Bojangles
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/27/13 11:27 PM
3/27/13 11:30 PM
UGCTT_Song2
568 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ill buy that for a dollar! Phone Post
3/27/13 11:39 PM
TEX4N
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
3/27/13 11:47 PM
Matrixkick
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TEX4N -

Phone Post
Thx 4 this. I'm really enjoying what you're showing me here.

Phone Post
3/27/13 11:49 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Inn Phone Post
3/27/13 11:55 PM
Ip Man 81
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She should consider nudes in the future..nearrrr future. Phone Post
3/28/13 2:13 AM
gregnog

Getting pretty bored of these mediocre womens fighters using the tried and true 'sex sells' tactic. Makes the sport look like a joke.
3/28/13 2:35 AM
FinestScotch

gregnog - Getting pretty bored of these mediocre womens fighters using the tried and true 'sex sells' tactic. Makes the sport look like a joke.

She's 10-3, and has a child that she referenced multiple times.

Clearly you just read the title, and douched out.

She said IF her hotness and past as a model are helping her now, then it's great.

You think girls that like MMA are always technical fans and don't like shredded dudes? Get real loser. It goes both ways.

3/28/13 8:27 AM
CindyO

Good golly, that booty! And she's always as cute as she can be.

Cindy

3/28/13 9:00 AM
CindyO

gregnog - Getting pretty bored of these mediocre womens fighters using the tried and true 'sex sells' tactic. Makes the sport look like a joke.

Then its a great joke because WMMA is GA-ROWWWWWING! Would mainstream folks have ever even noticed WMMA were it not for the beautiful and sexy Gina? Still, when they step inside the cage come fight night nothing they have ever done outside of it (except trane:) will be of any advantage and IMO, that is the sport.

And Waterson is far from being a mediocre fighter. She started training and competing as a kid and holds a BB in karate. She's ranked 3rd in her division right now and has only lost one fight since 2007, and that was to a former WIBA and IFBA pro boxing champion.

What annoys me is when a female fighter trades on her looks and then criticizes others for doing the same thing to get ahead a few months later like Tate did. To me, that's a joke.

Cindy

3/28/13 9:53 AM
ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever

willienugget - Don't make it sound like all that is in the rearview. If Ronda looked like Cyborg, UFC wouldn't have a woman's division.
Take it one step further, if cyborg didn't pop, the ufc won't have a woman's division. Phone Post
3/28/13 9:57 AM
AdrianK
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd fuck her
3/28/13 10:24 AM
EKPOGI
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/28/13 10:55 AM
Quik
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SIX DEUCE, Anti-Douchebaggery
Michelle is awesome!!!
3/28/13 11:18 AM
CheckMatBjjJoe

meh.

WAR PENNE!!!
3/28/13 11:23 AM
stevekt
462 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Karate MILF Phone Post
3/28/13 11:43 AM
jkd_guy
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*waits for gif of her jumping out of bed*
3/28/13 11:46 AM
Daverr

honda got nothin on waterson
3/28/13 11:47 AM
chaplinshouse
650 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

me love her short time

3/28/13 11:54 AM
Daverr

if things dont go well in wmma for her (which they will)

she should replace arianny for a ring girl.

an asian with a behind...

great stuff
3/28/13 5:49 PM
SamboMMA

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.