UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dave O’Donnell soars to top of UK MMA, again

3/28/13 1:16 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

This is number twenty-eight in Jack Brown’s series of interviews with MMA fighters and personalities, and for this particular interview, we’re pleased to feature Cage Rage and UCMMA’s, Dave O’Donnell.  Please enjoy our conversation below.

Jack Brown: What were your early experiences with martial arts/combat sports when you were young?

Dave O’Donnell: I started training Judo when I was ten years old.  I discovered Jakob Style self-defense when I was eighteen, which changed my whole outlook on life.  I started MMA training in 1995, and I have been teaching MMA since 1996.  My coaching came to an end in 2010, before creating UCMMA.  I wanted to give 100% commitment to MMA and didn’t have the time to concentrate on teaching as well as creating a number of TV shows.

JB: You are well known from your days in top UK MMA promotion, Cage Rage.  How did you first get involved with the promotion?

DO: Myself and Andrew Geer sat down together and thought of a way we could bring MMA to the masses in the UK.  Thus, we formed Cage Rage.  It was a fast success.  Within eight shows, Cage Rage became the talk of the town when we brought over the current pound-for-pound, greatest MMA fighter to date, Anderson “The Spider” Silva, to take on London boy, Lee Murray.  Cage Rage went from strength to strength, and the rest was history.

JB: Cage Rage had so many of today's greatest MMA fighters - Anderson Silva, Vitor Belfort, Bigfoot Silva - compete for them.  What were a few of the most memorable fights for you?

DO: Cyborg vs. Manhoef, Anderson Silva vs. Tony Fryklund, Vitor Belfort vs. Anthony Rea, Michael Bisping vs. Mark Epstein, Brad Pickett vs. Vaughan Lee, Murilo Rua vs. Mark Weir, Butterbean vs. James Thompson, Matt Lindland – The list goes on and on and on.

JB: Got to ask, sorry, but please, can you give us one or two Lee Murray stories?

DO: I would love to tell ya, but we would have to kill ya.  LOL!

JB: How did UCMMA first come together as a promotion back in 2008?

DO: After the collapse of Elite XC, it was either make or break for me.  MMA was my life, and it still is.  That’s why I am here today, with an army behind me trying to drive the UK MMA scene where it belongs - on the mainstream circuit.  I put everything I had on the line to give it another go.  I got Cage Rage to the right places, and I know I can do the same with UCMMA.  Muhammad Ali once said, “He who is NOT courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.”

JB: Over the past few years, what have been some of the highlights of the numerous UCMMA events?

DO: There was Brad Pickett winning the featherweight championship.  And there’s the latest star taking the UFC by storm, former UCMMA light-heavyweight champion, Jimi “The Posterboy” Manuwa, who has one of the most devastating punches in MMA.  Take a look at his KO’s, getting over 1.5 million hits here:

There was also Tom “Kong” Watson winning the middleweight championship.  Jack, I could go on with loads, but you will just have to check us out on UCMMA.com or we will be here all night.

JB: Your next event is UCMMA 33, on April 6th, live from The Troxy in London, England.  What are the fights that fans should be the most excited to see?

DO: Although these fighters are not known worldwide yet, trust me, you will definitely see these guys in the UFC sooner or later.  We don’t just book winners.  We book exciting fighters, and the card from top to bottom is exciting.  Our good friend from LA, Tapout Movies’ director, Bobby Razak, has worked with some of the best MMA shows in the world and he has given UCMMA his stamp of approval.  Just take a look at his promo for UCMMA:

Some shows look amazing on TV, but in the live auditorium you get left with a sour taste in your mouth.  UCMMA is not just for TV.  We give the audience a night to remember.

JB: Who are some of the other fighters in UCMMA that we should expect big things from in the future?

DO: Ben Callum, Darren Towler, Ashleigh Grimshaw, Cory Tait, Spencer Hewitt, Jamaine Facey, and former NBA star, Chi Parry, just to name a few.

JB: You were born and raised, and currently reside, in London.  What are some of the things that best represent what London is all about?

DO: Over here in the UK, London is the capital, and it’s also the capital for MMA.  There are MMA shows popping up here, there, and everywhere, but only the brave survive.  UCMMA is what represents London.  You’re always finding celebrities roaming around our venue, watching the show.  Beautiful models, top professional footballers, when you’re seated around them, you know you’re at the best place in town.

JB: Last question, Dave, and thanks for taking the time to do this.  What's left for you to achieve in the fight business, and do you have any other plans or goals at the moment?

DO: Are you kidding me?  I never stop, Jack.  I have the ambition of making MMA mainstream in the UK just like it is in the states.  I would love to make MMA mainstream so EVERYONE knows what mixed martial arts is.  Just like the football is on TV every day.

Jack, I would like to thank you for getting in touch with me.  And I would like to thank the team I have with me, including @BobbyRazak and my right hand man, @HitmanHarryMMA, who works endlessly to make the events happen.  Most importantly, thank you to the fans that keep supporting us day in and day out.

Just remember to log on to UCMMA.com, and check out our Facebook.com/UCMMA and our twitter.com/UCMMA

Keep supporting us.  We are working on US television deals as we speak.  Let’s hope we can bring the UK scene to America and turn UCMMA into the good old Cage Rage Days.  Ouussssss!!!

Thank you so much for reading and please follow @CageRageDave and @jackjohnbrown on Twitter.

And check Facebook for links to all of Jack’s past interviews and blogs.

Thank you to @KirikJenness  for @theUG

3/28/13 2:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
I hate links & marketing
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

O Donnell is not a nice man IRL.

3/28/13 3:02 PM
spmaskell

Been to UCMMA ... crowd is full of idiots and by far the most agressive crowd I have seen at an event. There was even a mass brawl in the crowd.

To be fair the only way to make money in UK is to promote it as a blood sport still. Phone Post
3/28/13 5:09 PM
Mufasatheking

I hate links & marketing - 

How so?

Ive been to a few UCMMA shows, crowd is fine most of the time but ive seen a couple of brawls here and there
3/28/13 7:00 PM
myrites
279 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watch it guys @ucmma is my home . Dave is my mentor

@bobbyrazak Phone Post
3/28/13 8:03 PM
InspiritMick

I hate links & marketing -

This. He is a caricature of himself.

A wannabe gangster, MMA has zero chance of going mainstream with him at the helm of anything with his 'ott cockney mockney apples and pears wide eyed Dave Courtney' style of promo. It's about as accessible to the masses as water torture.... Phone Post 3.0
3/28/13 8:04 PM
InspiritMick

biva - UCMMA is 10% good-great fights, 60% middle aged ex bouncer roid munchers with no skills or cardio and 30% fake gangster wannabe cockney bullshit.

Was always dissapoint when watching on Sky. Phone Post 3.0
This vtfu Phone Post 3.0
3/28/13 8:10 PM
Hammerfister
420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody on here who went to those old Cage Rage shows? And what were they like live? Phone Post
3/29/13 4:16 AM
spmaskell

I went to the first cage rage (held at a leisure centre in elephant and castle). I also went to 4 other and had a great time, I think its because its now held in the east end that the crowds are full of shits Phone Post
3/29/13 4:30 AM
DiazsBongWater
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hammerfister - Anybody on here who went to those old Cage Rage shows? And what were they like live? Phone Post
I did.

It was to watch my training partner fight but he got injured last minute.
Cabbage correria was all over the poster but got hit in the head with a baton by the police the night before so couldn't fight.
And Robbie Broughton fought butterbean in the main event.

The crowd were fucking horrible.
Toy gangsters and snarling juice heads everywhere!
Me and my girl went down on the train and made a weekend of it as it was just before Christmas, and that event spoiled the weekend for us.
Cage rage was fucking shit. Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 6:02 AM
LordSeano
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol got to agree about the state of uk mma crowds Phone Post
3/29/13 6:09 AM
WALES1

If you want sucker punches and sly head butts on UFC vets by the bother of a fighter just beaten then Cage Rage is the event for you. Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 6:22 AM
WALES1

I love the press release after Phil Baroni got head butted.

It was along the lines of.....

.....'they had a chat in the bar and it's all water under the bridge now'..... Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 6:32 AM
Jarvis73
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't watch it when it's on sky's. makes me cringe. Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 7:21 AM
BigTedBear
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dave always seemed like one of those guys that if he turned it down a bit would be a decent announcer but he's a character its his gimmick.

It always seemed to me that everybody sees Dana dropping f bombs and seem to think I'm going to be a promoter and do what Dana does to get some hype now if you were smart you would really try to be more like Lorenzo. Phone Post
3/29/13 7:32 AM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have to say something about Dave and his old partner Andrew. I took my fighter over to the UK 7 times for Cage Rage. I never once had to sign something or worry about my plain tickets or hotel or taxi reimbursement

No where or no one did I find as honorable as the promoters of Cage Rage. Good Memories. Funny the stories I could tell about hosehold names that I hung out with before they were famous. Good times. Dan Tharp

3/29/13 7:46 AM
epwar
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zealot66 - 

I have to say something about Dave and his old partner Andrew. I took my fighter over to the UK 7 times for Cage Rage. I never once had to sign something or worry about my plain tickets or hotel or taxi reimbursement

No where or no one did I find as honorable as the promoters of Cage Rage. Good Memories. Funny the stories I could tell about hosehold names that I hung out with before they were famous. Good times. Dan Tharp

Plain tickets > wolf tickets!

3/29/13 7:52 AM
LordSeano
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Odonnell has always struck me as a genuine but over enthusiastic guy. I really dont like how mma has been packaged in the uk and think it holds it back but he has done a lot for the sport in fairness.

But to reiterate - as a result it attracts fucking idiots to events Phone Post
3/29/13 8:34 AM
InspiritMick

It's like a conference for Southern Gangsters.....

3/29/13 9:08 AM
Crw
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hammerfister - Anybody on here who went to those old Cage Rage shows? And what were they like live? Phone Post
I went to a couple , the last one I went to was at Wembley . They had some pretty good fights on them . Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 10:13 AM
Hammerfister
420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody got some good Lee Murray stories or links to ones? Thanks. Phone Post
3/29/13 10:47 AM
Brown Balloon Knot
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UCMMA frontman is his own worse enemy his "character" is loud, full on and in your face certainly makes viewing of his programmes extremely tough.

My girlfriend is really understanding about my mma obsession but even she would tell me to turn off cage fighter. Dave and Grant Watermans weekly round up of all UK mma should have been really good but Dave and the poor production value made the experience slightly less painful than a back-sack and crack!

It's a dam shame because there are some great talents and up and comers in the organisation. Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 12:31 PM
HItman_Harry
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys, great to see and read your response re UCMMA. Behind the scene we are working very hard daily to give the fans the very best show we can.

I would be more than happy to answer anyone's questions and work on anything you think should be changed or added to make UCMMA a bigger and better show!

Dave O'Donnell is one of the reasons UKMMA is as big as it is now and even yet it is no where near as big as we want it to be and I believe along with other UK pioneers DOD is defiantly the right man to push the UK scene to where it belongs! Feel free to msg me on twitter/HitmanHarryMMA or via email harry@ucmma.com an ill be more than happy to talk! Thanks!! Phone Post 3.0
4/12/13 7:47 PM
HItman_Harry
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

biva -
HItman_Harry - Hey guys, great to see and read your response re UCMMA. Behind the scene we are working very hard daily to give the fans the very best show we can.

I would be more than happy to answer anyone's questions and work on anything you think should be changed or added to make UCMMA a bigger and better show!

Dave O'Donnell is one of the reasons UKMMA is as big as it is now and even yet it is no where near as big as we want it to be and I believe along with other UK pioneers DOD is defiantly the right man to push the UK scene to where it belongs! Feel free to msg me on twitter/HitmanHarryMMA or via email harry@ucmma.com an ill be more than happy to talk! Thanks!! Phone Post 3.0
I think the general feeling is the same across the board - the professional image and presentation of , for example, Cage Warriors, but with the ability to get bums on seats like UCMMA.

The one thing I will say in defence of UCMMA, there's no empty seats. Watching the CW cards on Sky, the fights and production values were as high as could reasonably be expected, but it did seem like the arena was mostly empty, or had zero atmosphere.

IMO Phone Post 3.0
Thanks Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.