UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> New CEO taking RYU out of the MMA business

3/29/13 11:36 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Respect Your Universe (“RYU”) is no longer a Mixed Martial Arts (“MMA”) brand, what they are is still yet to be defined.  Lets take a look at the rise and fall of RYU in MMA.

The new CEO of RYU said “That direct association with the sport and the UFC has ended. Endorsement deals with individual fighters and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) expired in December and will not be renewed.”  He continued  “The MMA community is a small market, even when I ran Sports Authority I didn't want anything to do with MMA brands.  There's not enough opportunity."

RYU started off as a concept with an amazing management team.  In April of 2010 RYU became a publicly traded company under the stock symbol “RYUN”.  RYU was listed on the Pinksheets, which means they were still a development stage company and did not meet the assets or market cap to be on the OTCBB or an even more prominent stock exchanges like AMEX, NASDAQ or the NYSE.

The company began to form around executives with solid backgrounds.  We are talking about former Nike, Armani and Lululemon executives.  The team looked poised to take over the MMA apparel market.

I never had the chance to work with RYU but what I saw on their mission statement made a lot of sense.  They were not just another MMA Lifestyle brand, they were planning on launching functional, organic and sustainable clothing.  There is no question that MMA is a great proving ground for this type of concept.  Countless numbers of top name professional Martial Artist have suffered from viruses that live in most MMA gyms.  For some these are life threatening or career ending diseases.

What did not make sense is they seemed to focus on athletes that did not promote this aspect and to my knowledge none of their signed athletes were affected by any health issues.  A perfect candidate for a brand like this would be a guy like Cole Escovedo.  Well known, hard working and his plight with infections from training almost cost him his life and surely altered his career path.  His blessing would carry more weight than a Jon Fitch, who likely is better known than Cole but is not going to move more products.

read entire article...

3/29/13 11:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris
366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO

well I knew when they decided to make Jon Fitch the first face of their company, I knew they were doomed. Not that I don't like Fitch or think he's a great fighter, but you could just tell they had very little working knowledge of the MMA landscape.

3/29/13 11:45 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris -

well I knew when they decided to make Jon Fitch the first face of their company, I knew they were doomed. Not that I don't like Fitch or think he's a great fighter, but you could just tell they had very little working knowledge of the MMA landscape.

The shirts were quite expensive even for mma shirts too Phone Post
3/29/13 11:45 PM
Pessimist_Pete
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thought this was about Street Fighter 2 Phone Post
3/29/13 11:50 PM
JetSetter

I've said it for years. It's almost impossible to get a good bang for your buck sponsoring fighters. If you don't have a true love for the sport your money is better put elsewhere. Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 11:54 PM
cross3dout
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad, they were one of the companies I always hoped to earn sponsorship one day from. Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 11:57 PM
MMAAdvertising
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit's Face Broke My Hand - 
Chris -

C'mon, you mean you don't want to pay $137.99 for a Hoodie?! 

http://shop.mixedmartialarts.com/RYU-Icon-Zip-Hoodie/ryu-1028,default,pd.html?start=23&q=RYU

3/30/13 12:00 AM
Flexo
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAAdvertising -
Chris -

http://shop.mixedmartialarts.com/RYU-Icon-Zip-Hoodie/ryu-1028,default,pd.html?start=23&q=RYU

It actually looks like what Ryu would weat. Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 12:21 AM
Seraldo Babalu
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/13 12:25 AM
Strikeforce's Jon Fitch?

Nice research over there at ingrained media.
3/30/13 12:26 AM
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAAdvertising - 
Chris -

Fitch needed his fotn bonus just to be able to wear his sponsors clothes

3/30/13 12:27 AM

I do feel bad for guys like Fitch who just lost a sponsor, though.

3/30/13 12:38 AM
jaytrainwreck
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Their t- shirts were like sixty dollars. Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 12:42 AM
Letibleu
1662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris - 

Their name told me everything

3/30/13 12:45 AM
TheCrow13
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seraldo Babalu - Strikeforce's Jon Fitch?

Nice research over there at ingrained media.

Came here to say this

3/30/13 1:04 AM
dubate
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I heard Fitch also fought for Pryd. Phone Post
3/30/13 1:09 AM
CindyO

Didn't RYU even have a spammer on the UG pushing their stuff? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Cindy

3/30/13 1:11 AM
Toby Lerone
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A good read but who were they? And when was Jon fitch a Strikeforce fighter?

3/30/13 1:12 AM
IsmokeCrack

So, I'm looking forward to seeing their fall lineup on the clearance racks of ROSS!!! Phone Post
3/30/13 1:26 AM
Quik
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SIX DEUCE, Anti-Douchebaggery
MMAAdvertising -
Chris -

But...but...but its functional, orgasmic and substaimable!!! Phone Post
3/30/13 2:17 AM
Ray Elbe
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WWDFWD!??!

Oh Yeah...thats right....

Six Deuce Clothing
3/30/13 2:21 AM
joemama1034
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The 'House of RYU' I believe was formerly Tapout Las Vegas, which was a badass gym looks wise. Anyone who trains there know what they're going to do with it now? Phone Post
3/30/13 2:22 AM
caseharts
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAAdvertising -
Chris -

Lol at that shit Phone Post
3/30/13 2:23 AM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/13 2:23 AM

Saw this coming...

I don't know who they have with any experience in athletic wear, or any type of clothing, but they seemed to have REALLY missed the mark with nearly everything they did.

They just weren't doing anything different than dozens of other established companies with cheaper clothes that are better IMO. I mean, 150 dollar duffel bag? What does that do better than my 40 dollar nike bag?

I mean... THESE are 60 dollars...

3/30/13 2:25 AM
The Triangle
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guess my name still comes up now and then lol Phone Post
3/30/13 2:27 AM
Team GDP
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 

Didn't RYU even have a spammer on the UG pushing their stuff? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Cindy

the RYU shill. lol. guy said he only owned 'a few shares' or something like that LOL.

they had some okay stuff but their prices are fucking insane. 

i'll stick with my six deuce shirts 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.