UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Need advice on a new GI

4/7/13 1:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Porkchop
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey people,

I am getting back into BJJ training with a GI and need a new one.

I have been training no-GI for a long time now but am getting back into GI training.

Here's what I gather about getting a GI:

- You want to be sure it is pre-shrunk so it fits just like it says it will when you buy it.
- Gold weave may be the best design because it has a good balance of durability and it's not too thick.
- Brands to consider first might be Koral, Atama, Fugi.... Looking for more options to look at that are top quality.
- I want to get a blue or navy blue colour.
- looking to spend $200 or less if I can.

Thanks a lot in advance everyone for your advice.
4/7/13 2:43 PM
Porkchop

This one looks pretty much what I'm looking for.

http://www.graciebarrawear.com/store/products/pro-train-kimono-in-blue

I'm not looking at it just because of the gracie name on it.

It has the range for size that is perfect for me, it seems to not be a shrinker, and it seems to have a sturdy design and a name that holds credibility in jiu jitsu.
4/7/13 7:22 PM
Porkchop

Ugh.... will the mods move this to the "obviously no one gives a fuck forum." Thanks.
4/7/13 7:28 PM
Ceelo
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You would probably have a better reponse if you put this in the Atama BJJ forum. Besides they probably know more as well.

4/7/13 7:30 PM
UGCTT_Song2
711 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ceelo -

You would probably have a better reponse if you put this in the Atama BJJ forum. Besides they probably know more as well.

I got help there Phone Post
4/7/13 7:30 PM
Ceelo
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The GB kimonos are usually bought by students who attend a GB school too... Big names floating around in the Kimono scene are Koral, Shoyoroll, Kingz, Atama, but there are soo many out there to choose.

4/7/13 9:57 PM
Porkchop

Ceelo - 

The GB kimonos are usually bought by students who attend a GB school too... Big names floating around in the Kimono scene are Koral, Shoyoroll, Kingz, Atama, but there are soo many out there to choose.

Shoyoroll i checked out but they have like no stock on thier website. Same with Fushida. The Fushida one I was very interested in but they have like no stock at all.
4/7/13 10:44 PM
vegard
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

check out ctrl gi. smaller company with nice product. they have tall sizes, too. i just bought an a3t and it is my favorite gi.
4/7/13 10:49 PM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Redstar. Heard great things about them and they are from the GTA. Phone Post
4/7/13 10:51 PM
12SixElbow
614 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had my Atama Gold Weave for 6 years... Still going strong

My vulkan ripped in 3 months

My GB brand Gi's have gone both ways (One I've had 3+ years, one tore in a few months)

My personal favorite is Ouano. Have 3 of them, all 3 have been perfect for years.

http://www.ouano.com/

4/7/13 11:07 PM
EddyH

Tatami zero G V2,
4/7/13 11:19 PM
SC MMA MD
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vegard - check out ctrl gi. smaller company with nice product. they have tall sizes, too. i just bought an a3t and it is my favorite gi.
Came to post this. Guy at our school got one and it is well built, but the particular one he got is a little fancy for my taste (contrasting stitching and embroidered design) Phone Post 3.0
4/7/13 11:22 PM
McLeod
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Atama will likely run you more than you wanted to spend but you will be VERY happy with them.
Shoyoroll isn't worth it and you have to order just when they release them for that period of time (window)
Koral is again expensive, but is a good gi.
If you want to look at other gis, you can check out ctrl as mentioned above, subculture, tatami, and manto.

I own all but the ctrl and manto, but many of my students do.
4/7/13 11:31 PM
QAM256
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have three Koral MKM's and have never had any issues. I'm partial to them because they're just about 100% pre shrunk and fit a bit wider and shorter which is great for stocky fucks like myself.
Had two Shoyorolls and both ripped in under six months. Phone Post 3.0
4/7/13 11:42 PM
Shinsplint
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love my Redstar gi.
4/7/13 11:51 PM
Oprahs Queefs Are My Air Supply
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/7/13 11:52 PM
TheOne
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I havent heard anyone mention Lucky yet?
4/8/13 12:02 AM
useless
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a Hayabusa one that's ok.

X-guard one that fits real nice but feels a little bulky but not as bulky as a HCK.

My Hiro one feels the best. Super light. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 12:04 AM
useless
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh I did have an OTM one but the sleeves felt loose on me. And I had an old school Koral that was by far my favorite one. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 12:10 AM
behzad

I just got an a4 venum power gi gold weave for 118$ usd from mmaoutlet.

Although i live in canada and had to ship it to a friend in jersey for that price.

Not sure that helps. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 12:12 AM
UGCTT_Song2
711 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I purchased a vulkan pro light based on a thread similar to this. My first gi and its going back into action this week! Phone Post
4/8/13 12:19 AM
behzad

Im seeing a lot of Gameness gear lately, wonder how they are. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 12:57 AM
Porkchop

Wow awesome response guys.

To be honest, the biggest problem I'm having is that a lot of the gi's I'm looking at have limited size selection. I'm seeing that with a surprising amount of companies right now.

It's like it's a bad time of year for the gi industry or something. No one has inventory on their websites... I don't get it.

I'm looking for an A3 that has a weight range from about 170ish to about 210ish and i'm 5'10". The reason for that is since I have been at school, I have put on like 25 lbs because I have not been training. I'm going to shed it all this summer and get back to my normal weight, but I am looking for something that will fit both at the beginning and end of the summer.

The Gracie Barra looks like it might be the best option considering all that right now but you guys have gave me some awesome direction.

I'm in the GTA so I will definitely check out Redstar. Also I'm gonna have to look at Lucky, Hiro, Tatami, CTRL and all the others too.

I appreciate it a lot guys. I've got some more homework to do on this now. I'm gonna sniff around and see what I can find that might fit my situation with the weight loss.

I value the input from you guys on things like this immensely. No one knows gear like the people in here and I honestly appreciate you all taking the time to lend some advice based on that wealth of experience and knowledge!

Cheers!
4/8/13 3:45 AM
JFC1001
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Porkchop -
Ceelo - 

Shoyoroll i checked out but they have like no stock on thier website. Same with Fushida. The Fushida one I was very interested in but they have like no stock at all.
I own a Shoyoroll and they are amazing. Hard to get yes but worth it. Lucky Gi are cool as well. Break Point deserve a mention to. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 6:46 AM
mofomike
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

koral.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.