UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Phil Davis-"Wrestling is stronger than Jiu Jitsu"

4/11/13 6:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Adam Hunter
885 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope all is well. Phil Davis, Vinny, Carla Esparza and Mike Chiesa were guests on out podcast on Tuesday.

Hope you enjoy.

Adam

www.adamhunter.com

@mmaroasted

Here are the posted links for Chokes & Jokes #15:

Soundcloud

Sideshow website

iTunes

Thanks,

Shawn Marek
Junior Producer
Levity Entertainment Group I LEG Digital
O: (310) 417-4855
C: (716) 228-1333
SideshowNetwork.tv

LEG-Digital.com

4/11/13 6:30 PM
KZTT_W85
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the history of mma wrestling has probably won more fights than bjj. Guys not striking for fear of the takedown/ laynpray/GNP.

I'm a bjj lover though and much prefer it. Phone Post
4/11/13 6:36 PM
Bloody Pregnancy Fluids
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chaelismyhero - Pure Jiu Jitsu beats pure wrestling.

But a guy with a life time of wrestling an a few years of JJ will beat a guy with a life time of JJ and a few years of wrestling.

This exactly.
4/11/13 6:38 PM
bcolflesh
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Confusion on thread due to no knees to the head on the ground.
4/24/13 6:51 PM
bhealthy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the skill level of the competitor will be what matters, and its unlikely either wont use techniques thought to 'belong' to the other discipline.
4/24/13 7:17 PM
inf0
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah ok boss.. take the best collegiate wrestlers who have no experience against submissions.. and have them grapple some top tier blackbelts... tell me how that works out for the wrasslers... !!!!

4/24/13 7:18 PM
inf0
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SouthernGent - Wrestling is way harder and has proven to be more successful in MMA. We rarely even see submissions anymore unless the guy got rocked first.

correction, wrestling with submission awareness and BJJ cross training.....

4/24/13 7:33 PM
ChipW
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inf0 - 

yeah ok boss.. take the best collegiate wrestlers who have no experience against submissions.. and have them grapple some top tier blackbelts... tell me how that works out for the wrasslers... !!!!

Straight up grappling under IBJJ or similar rules, the Black belt takes it 95% of the time.  A wrestler may get lucky and get a neck crank or something but mostly gets beat.  Add punches to the mix and id say its closer to 60% for the black belt, less if they are just a sport guy. 

let the wrestler train MMA for a year and it starts going the other way.  Maybe still not even in pure grappling but getting close and in MMA the wrestler has pulled ahead. 

Its not the techniques of wrestling its the training methods and mindset.   Plus no wrestler continues to train pure wrestling.  They ALL do Jiu-jitsu once they start training MMA.  One that says different is just trying to sell tickets.  

Thats my best guess and honest opinion. 

4/24/13 7:33 PM
Wasa-B
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Revolutionary
4/24/13 7:34 PM
inf0

ChipW - 
inf0 - 

Straight up grappling under IBJJ or similar rules, the Black belt takes it 95% of the time.  A wrestler may get lucky and get a neck crank or something but mostly gets beat.  Add punches to the mix and id say its closer to 60% for the black belt, less if they are just a sport guy. 

let the wrestler train MMA for a year and it starts going the other way.  Maybe still not even in pure grappling but getting close and in MMA the wrestler has pulled ahead. 

Its not the techniques of wrestling its the training methods and mindset.   Plus no wrestler continues to train pure wrestling.  They ALL do Jiu-jitsu once they start training MMA.  One that says different is just trying to sell tickets.  

Thats my best guess and honest opinion. 

^

4/24/13 7:39 PM
baileboy
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you had to choose the following base on which to start on what would it be?

1) Olympic and world champion freestyle wrestler
2) IBJJF and ADCC champion

what is harder to achieve, what skill is harder to learn?
4/24/13 7:45 PM
SD CARTEL
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/24/13 7:49 PM
It's like 1993 all over again. Pure jiujitsu beats pure wrestling in MMA and no time limit grappling. Wrestling is far more physically demanding. Every time a wrestler avoids a submission, he's more than likely using jiujitsu defense.
4/24/13 7:46 PM
ChipW
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator Fan - http://m.sherdog.com/news/pressreleases/Phil-Davis-Dominates-at-the-BJJ-NO-GI-World-Championships-20943 Phone Post 3.0

"Phil Davis won the Gold Medal at the BJJ NO GI World Championships held last Saturday November 7th, outside Los Angeles, CA.

Competing in the HWT Division, Phil Davis won 3 matches to claim the Gold Medal. The first match was won by Rear Naked Choke submission in :25 seconds of the 1st Period, the second match was won by Arm Bar submission in 2:00 of the 1st round, and the Gold Medal match was won by a dominating score of 12-0."

the rear naked choke and armbar submission are not taught in wrestling. Obviously Phil trains Jiu-jitsu obviously hes great at it.  I bet other than takedowns he doesnt train wrestling at all.  Now, i think wrestlers do make the best fighters but its not pure wrestling that they train anymore.   They are just some extremely tough and hard working guys. 

4/24/13 7:49 PM
ChipW

baileboy - if you had to choose the following base on which to start on what would it be?

1) Olympic and world champion freestyle wrestler
2) IBJJF and ADCC champion

what is harder to achieve, what skill is harder to learn?

Neither.  Id want to be the NCAA champion.   Folkstyle is better for MMA than freestyle.  Id also want to train bjj for at least a year before i got in a cage. 

4/24/13 7:50 PM
nolabrum
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe he meant a wrestling base is better then a BJJ base. Either way Saturday he will prove of he is right or wrong. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 7:57 PM
ChipW

nolabrum - Maybe he meant a wrestling base is better then a BJJ base. Either way Saturday he will prove of he is right or wrong. Phone Post 3.0

my money is on Phil as well.   I just think its silly to say Phil is a "pure" wrestler.  Gone are the days of some guy walking out of college wrestling and straight into a cage with no idea of submissions.  They all train it these days. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.