UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hall: I'm not ready for Anderson Silva

4/12/13 4:28 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

During his stint on the Ultimate Fighter Season 17, coach Chael Sonnen was highly impressed with Urijah Hall and praised his abilities, believing that not only would Hall win the show, but could contend with UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva soon. Hall, however believes he needs time to grow, but of course would relish the opportunity:

"I was shocked, like 'What? Give me time to build up!' Sometimes as a coach, they will see things in you that you don't see. Since he was my coach at that time, he saw that potential. Somewhere down the line, maybe it will happen, but it's not something I'm pushing.

I feel, personally, this guy is a walking legend and if I ever get the opportunity one day, that'd be great. I'm not looking towards that, I'd rather earn my way up there, like the rest of the guys."

transcription by MMAMania.com...

4/12/13 4:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Nastyness
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/12/13 4:46 PM
I thought Sonnen said he had the potential to be a world champion, not that he was ready to fight Silva. I could be wrong though because I've only read about it and haven't actually seen the episode.

While I agree he clearly has talent, we all know it depends on your level of competition. I still know of people (I wish I didn't know them) that think Kimbo Slice can beat anyone in the world, based on how he made his competition look on internet street fighting videos.

Not trying to compare the two, but Hall does have a very realistic approach to this. A "hey, let me prove it first" approach, I respect that.
4/12/13 4:45 PM
athsportsnutrition
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.athsportsnutrition.com
I respect Hall's approach. Hard to not like this guy. Super talented as well. Phone Post
4/12/13 4:47 PM
WOOFticket
381 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome.

Phone Post
4/12/13 4:49 PM
crazyea
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hes said he spent 5 years in that weight class and that Uriah Hall could beat anyone right now including "him" and then pointed to Anderson's picture on the wall.
4/12/13 4:55 PM
chrisoefer
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"You're a contender, I spent five years in that division, you're a contender" Phone Post
4/12/13 4:56 PM
Carrtrouble
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know he for sure said he's a contender. Pretty crazy compliment. This kid better not go bones on us. Phone Post
4/12/13 4:56 PM
The Nastyness

crazyea - Hes said he spent 5 years in that weight class and that Uriah Hall could beat anyone right now including "him" and then pointed to Anderson's picture on the wall.

Ahhh, got it. It's definitely possible in time, though I have a feeling Silva may be retired once Hall reaches that level.
4/12/13 5:11 PM
JBASS
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hall could enter the MW division and easily be in the top 15, possibly even fringe top ten. Whilst I have a feeling that Chael's kind words were to help boost the confidence of Uriah, I have no doubt that with one or two wins he will be on the verge of a title shot. 

Anyone else wonder if he could make WW? 

4/12/13 5:12 PM
shaqitup
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Nastyness - 
crazyea - Hes said he spent 5 years in that weight class and that Uriah Hall could beat anyone right now including "him" and then pointed to Anderson's picture on the wall.

Ahhh, got it. It's definitely possible in time, though I have a feeling Silva may be retired once Hall reaches that level.

If hall is going to become a force at MW, it will probably happen within the next year or 2.

4/12/13 5:15 PM
shaqitup
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JBASS - 

Hall could enter the MW division and easily be in the top 15, possibly even fringe top ten. Whilst I have a feeling that Chael's kind words were to help boost the confidence of Uriah, I have no doubt that with one or two wins he will be on the verge of a title shot. 

Hard to say tbh, isn't it usually a given on TUF that a lot of the guys are fightin in the next division up, especially since they have to cut to weight like 4x in a short period of time if they make it through the show.

He wouldn't be a big MW, and imo Kelvin could easily be a WW, maybe even lower.

4/12/13 5:18 PM
Phil999

chael was playing for the cameras as usual.
4/12/13 5:29 PM
ortman166

Good approach I'm a big fan. Phone Post 3.0
4/12/13 5:34 PM
JBASS
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shaqitup - 
JBASS - 

Hard to say tbh, isn't it usually a given on TUF that a lot of the guys are fightin in the next division up, especially since they have to cut to weight like 4x in a short period of time if they make it through the show.

He wouldn't be a big MW, and imo Kelvin could easily be a WW, maybe even lower.

Yeah that's spot on about TUF guys competing in a weight class higher. Kelvin definitely looks like he could make WW. I think Hall is in that weird spot somewhere in the middle where the pros and cons of MW and WW are virtually balanced out. 

If Uriah went to WW, I think I would start having nightmares...

4/12/13 6:21 PM
TheOldeUltraViolence
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Humble and honest. Good combination. Kid is still a beast though.

"I'm not ready for Anderson." Yea but don't be too hard on yourself Uriah... no one is. Phone Post 3.0
4/12/13 7:33 PM
OftheWay

ssj - he will get beaten by the first wrestler he faces.
He showed a decent ground game in his elimination bout. Phone Post
4/12/13 7:45 PM
KickassMcrad
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Underground Blog, 

Thank you very much for this quality thread!

I hope your future posts follow suit.

Voted Up.

4/12/13 8:51 PM
Got Reach
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I Phone Post
4/12/13 8:51 PM
Got Reach
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldnt count Kelvin out quite yet to be honest Phone Post
4/12/13 9:31 PM
bigdee1983420
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Being Humble is the recipe for excellence! I'm very impressed with his beautiful fluid combinations of striking/boxing/taekwondo/muaythai. He has excellent footwork/elusiveness/headmovement,and timing/speed/power. For somebody this young in his career hes very skillful,and alot mental maturity. Even when taken down he seems very composed with wrestling/jujitsu/grappling. Give him 1 or 2 more fights,if he wins give him a top 10. Then go from there,sky is the limit!
4/12/13 9:43 PM
Tat2tillidie
366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

athsportsnutrition - I respect Hall's approach. Hard to not like this guy. Super talented as well. Phone Post
Yup respectful of his opponents and truly cares about there health , humble , true martial artist ... Vu for the good post Phone Post 3.0
4/12/13 9:44 PM
Tat2tillidie
366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

athsportsnutrition - I respect Hall's approach. Hard to not like this guy. Super talented as well. Phone Post
Tried to vote you up but it says I've already voted you up so I will get you tomorrow ... Phone Post 3.0
4/13/13 7:26 AM
MattyECB
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good man, I'm all for the actual contenders like Weidman being confident, otherwise why the fuck did you even bother to sign the dotted line, but for a fighter like Hall this is what you wanna see

I feel have no ego is especially important in MMA cus even the best of the best almost always have some aspect of the game they need to work on. It's just such a varied competition.

Hall seems like the type of guy to round himself out with good wrestling and jits, but not forget his striking roots. If he can crack the top 5 I'll be happy. Wishful thinking to assume fighters can take out AS, but if a dude this exciting can just become a main fixture in the MW picture I'll be happy
4/13/13 7:51 AM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Nastyness - I thought Sonnen said he had the potential to be a world champion, not that he was ready to fight Silva. I could be wrong though because I've only read about it and haven't actually seen the episode.

While I agree he clearly has talent, we all know it depends on your level of competition. I still know of people (I wish I didn't know them) that think Kimbo Slice can beat anyone in the world, based on how he made his competition look on internet street fighting videos.

Not trying to compare the two, but Hall does have a very realistic approach to this. A "hey, let me prove it first" approach, I respect that.

Sonnen said he could beat everyone in the divison "...including that puke (points at Silva's picture on the wall). I won't even say his name." It's really just to boost Uriah's confidence. I mean the kid has talent for sure, but no way is he ready for Silva yet.
4/13/13 7:53 AM
ManWithTheIronFists

Got Reach -  I wouldnt count Kelvin out quite yet to be honest Phone Post

This.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.