UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Boxing champ Berto wants to be a UFC champion

4/12/13 10:29 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Although both combat sports, boxing and mixed martial arts have mostly remained segrated. Athletes have mostly stayed in their own sport and their seems to be a different fan base for each. Boxing is somewhat considered your father's sport and MMA is for the new generation. UFC President Dana White considers himself a fan of both and has often praised some of boxing's brightest stars.

No MMA athlete has truly crossed over to a sucessful boxing career and no boxer has really tried to make a real run at MMA. In 2010 heavyweight James Toney did a one fight stint in the UFC, losing to hall of famer Randy Couture in the first round after being taken down easily.

Recently another boxing champion has brought up the idea of crossing over, going as far as talking to White about a possible career in the UFC. He recently spoke to Erik Fontanzez of Yahoo Sports about the possibility:

Two-time welterweight boxing champion Andre Berto discussed potentially fighting in the UFC with the organization's president, Dana White, a company official confirmed on Friday.

The fighter said in a recent interview that he ran into White a few weeks ago in Los Angeles, and the two had a conversation about the boxer transitioning over to the Las Vegas-based MMA promotion.

"I talked to Dana White about this ... the last time I [saw] him," Berto said in a recent video. "Don't be surprised if I try to get in that thing and win a title. I'll be the first fighter to win a boxing championship and a UFC mixed martial arts world championship."

read entire article...

4/12/13 10:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GayGuardMooseSaucy
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hahaha No Berto......just no 

He's not even at the top of the boxing game

4/12/13 10:34 PM
SubbedZER0
343 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

his brother is fun to watch as well (MMA)

Andre is certainly one tough customer though, wouldn't be suprised if he found some success here.

4/12/13 10:37 PM
ConditJustGSPeedHisPants
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't remember where I read a couple years ago that he was beginning to train in MMA unless I'm mistaking him for another well known boxer. Phone Post
4/12/13 10:41 PM
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd actually be interested in that, he would be the best boxer to transition over to mma.

He probably would need to win a few fights on a regional card first but I dont think eh would do that cause he could make more money boxing. He probably figures Dana will give him a fat contract like he did with Toney and give him a UFC fight right away.

4/12/13 10:43 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had no idea Alvarado has a wrestling background, now that would be interesting.  

4/12/13 10:45 PM
rnunz
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ConditJustGSPeedHisPants - Don't remember where I read a couple years ago that he was beginning to train in MMA unless I'm mistaking him for another well known boxer. Phone Post
I think he's been talking about it for a while. Phone Post 3.0
4/12/13 10:51 PM
Hikikomori

Alvarado would win a belt in mma. He was a great high school wrestler. Phone Post
4/12/13 10:56 PM
havokk_15
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, Alvarado was a multiple time state champion in high school with division one scholarship offers.

To my knowledge, though, he has never shown any interest in MMA.
4/12/13 11:11 PM
pelekys
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Berto's whole fame is into MMA. His father is an MMA coach. Phone Post
4/12/13 11:11 PM
pelekys
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*family Phone Post
4/12/13 11:17 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

havokk_15 - Yeah, Alvarado was a multiple time state champion in high school with division one scholarship offers.

To my knowledge, though, he has never shown any interest in MMA.

More money in boxing, I don't blame him. But shit, I'd love to see it. Imagine him in those gloves

4/12/13 11:23 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He'd be out as quick as Toney.
4/12/13 11:27 PM
Black Belt Wrestling

His dad was a pro wrestler that also fought mma

Haiti Kid Berto (I'm sorry I cannot spell his real first name LOL)

Berto fought Geza Kalmon in UFC (pro wrestler vs pro wrestler)

4/12/13 11:30 PM
Black Belt Wrestling

MY bad ! Sorry I was too lazy to read that article now I see that they mention it.

I think Haiti Kid Berto had the connection thru the Malenko gym down in Florida.

That gym had Carl Malenko, Jerry Flynn that fought in some events .. maybe they were connected to Bart Vale too?

Oh the good old days.
4/12/13 11:42 PM
jwistead
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His brother fought Bellator recently... kid's got a hell of a punch.

http://www.global-mma.com/t6256-james-edson-berto-vs-bruno-carvalho-fight-video-bellator-94
4/12/13 11:43 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bazza76 - 
ManWithTheIronFists - He'd be out as quick as Toney.

nobody could be that bad.
He would need to learn to prevent take downs, and how to avoid leg kicks for sure though.
He could get a win against a stand up fighter maybe, but little else IMO.

That's true, maybe with some wrestling and BJJ training he could do okay, but I don't see him getting close to a title shot.
4/12/13 11:44 PM
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bazza76 - 
ManWithTheIronFists - He'd be out as quick as Toney.

nobody could be that bad.
He would need to learn to prevent take downs, and how to avoid leg kicks for sure though.
He could get a win against a stand up fighter maybe, but little else IMO.

Hes trained MMA before, his brother is an MMA fighter, his dad is an MMA coach. Something tells me he might be able to do okay.
4/12/13 11:50 PM
WOOFticket
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Almost as funny as this

Phone Post
4/12/13 11:55 PM
RearNakedToke
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ConditJustGSPeedHisPants -  Don't remember where I read a couple years ago that he was beginning to train in MMA unless I'm mistaking him for another well known boxer. Phone Post

Kermit Cintron was talking about it to try and make headlines a few years back. Then he fell out of the ring against The Punisher and did a stretcher job lol. He wanted to fight so bad after they tied him to the spine though, I'll give him that.
4/12/13 11:56 PM
RearNakedToke
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ Spine board
4/13/13 12:07 AM
BrattMamley
1041 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interdasting Phone Post 3.0
4/13/13 12:14 AM
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank Gallagher - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy -

hahaha No Berto......just no 

He's not even at the top of the boxing game

You are a idiot Phone Post

Actually he is a good poster. But I agree the comment was a bit of base.....
4/13/13 1:58 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
282 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RearNakedToke -
ConditJustGSPeedHisPants -  Don't remember where I read a couple years ago that he was beginning to train in MMA unless I'm mistaking him for another well known boxer. Phone Post

Kermit Cintron was talking about it to try and make headlines a few years back. Then he fell out of the ring against The Punisher and did a stretcher job lol. He wanted to fight so bad after they tied him to the spine though, I'll give him that.
Kermit needed cash and is shot.

Berto has absorbed some beatings but has something left so I'd give him a chance.

Sadly, Cintron had so many gifts yet squandered them all with poor training and too much time off. Phone Post
4/13/13 2:19 AM
MolsonMuscles
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With his family's involvement in MMA, Berto is probably one of the few boxers that has a true appreciation for what it would take to make the transition.

I'd love to see him commit to it. He'd never be elite, but I don't think he'd be the embarrassment Toney was.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.