UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> My UFC 159 Fight Picks!

4/24/13 5:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DanTheWolfman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/24/13 6:02 PM

Here are my UFC 159 Staff picks.  Go to http://www.ProMMAnow.com tomorrow to see if the other staffers agree with me or not.  Do you??? Realize I personally like Healy and Vinny, and am a fan of Belcher's, but tried to be neautrol in picking what is the most likely scenarios percentage wise if you were betting with even odds.  Please subscribe to http://www.youtube.com/DanTheWolfman1

Women's Bantamweight Sara McMann vs. Sheila Gaff
While Gaff is a dangerous striker with KO power and has submission victories, I will have to go in most likelihood with the higher level athlete w Olympian Sara McMann winning a Decision. Statistically the better athlete, better wrestler will win the fight barring a KO from their opponents.

Lightweight Jim Miller vs. Pat Healy
This one should be a war. While my heart is with Pat Healy, I feel that Jim Millers punching power and combinations have been improving. There should be some good brawling and wrestling scrambles in this. Miller is dangerous with his guillotines, and Healy dangerous with arm triangles, and also has a good deep half guard sweeps that people seem to miss. I predict Miller will win the split decision, based on just facial damage from punches landed and breaking Healy's nose yet again.

Light Heavyweight Phil Davis vs. Vinny Magalhaes

While a video I just watched of Vinny training does make me think his striking is developing faster than Davis, and I believe his grappling is also higher level, it is wrestling the glue that binds all martial arts that often dictates the winner. My heart is with Vinny and hope there is a dramatic KO or submission finish, but I feel Davis most likely being a strong and skilled wrestler with more Octagon experience will be able to win the Decision.  Vinny, if you read this, while tieing up the arms for armbars, or having wrist control looking for triangles/Oma Platas, I feel you should really try to land as many elbows from bottom as possible.  This way, if you land a few bigger shots on the feet you may possibly sway the decision if Vinny is not able to finish.  

4/24/13 5:58 PM
DanTheWolfman

Edited: 04/24/13 6:02 PM
Heavyweight Roy Nelson vs. Cheick Kongo
I feel that Big Country has been more consistent in bigger level fights. If Cheick manages to get a takedown himself against the cage, I do feel he can hurt Roy with GnP. Roy should land more damaging punches on the feet, but Kongo should be able to land some vicious knees and kicks. The difference is when Roy pushes through the damage and gets Kongo a bit gassed, if he gets the takedown he will likely put Kongo into the crucifix beat down position and get a TKO on Kongo via GnP! Roy by overhand right KO or TKO from GnP.

Middleweight Michael Bisping vs. Alan Belcher
Belcher is the more dangerous guy as far as KO power and submissions. However, Bisping has the experience in bigger fights, and his wrestling has improved a lot. I just feel that Bisping will control the tempo and range of the fight better, landing more frequently from the outside with long straight punches (with his basic but beautiful double jab cross, 1,1,2 combo) and mixing in some takedowns. Unless Belcher gets some kind of leg submission, or gets to the banana split/Truck/Wrestlers Guillotine AKA Twister/Knee compression position that he put Palhares in, I've got Bisping winning the decision. I wonder how much Bisping has trained with all the great Bellator Russian fighters led by MW Champion Alexander Schlemenko that I have all interviewed that also train out of Huntington Beach Ultimate Training Center.

4/24/13 6:03 PM
DanTheWolfman

Light Heavyweight Jon Jones (c) vs. Chael Sonnen
I like Chael, and do think if he can really step in and tag Jones right away, to get him back on his heels stumbling backwards than into a blast double or short double against the cage I feel he has a chance. But, unless Chael stumbles him early, I feel Jones is coming out to prove a point. Most likely Jones will kick the knees or add calf kicks into his attack a few times than look himself at some point to be in the clinch. As I have been very vocal about in my youtube instructional vids I've posted on peoples FB pages, Twitter, and the Underground forum, Chaels best chance to really get Jones is to counter linear knee kicks by lifting his knee and going right into a Boxing Blast or 2,7,2 Cross, Long Hook, Cross, or 2, 7, Blast Double counter while Jones is leaning back on one foot. The same combos could be set up by sweeping open Jones' Chicken legs base with calf kick sweeps. If he can stumble Jones with a punch and/or destableize him with a leg kick, he can take Jones down and land GnP and look for Head & Arm Triangle Chokes if he can get to sidemount/mount. I feel that the guys that fight Jones keep coming in just with same old school training, and not specific training for Jones' body type and common attacks.

Look for Jones to either try to get a takedown in the first round, or possibly pull guard and look for elbows and subs in the first round to prove that he can. Jones will either look for takedown himself to prove his MMA wrestling is better than Chael's either in the 1st or 2nd round. From there look for him to pass guard, move into sidemount, than crucifix position to land repetitive downward elbows strikes causing a TKO or opening Chael's arms to either a Top Wrist Lock/Keylock or Downward Double Wrist Lock/AKA Kimura. If Chael hasn't drilled the Crucifix escape I have developed to create momentum to regain your arm that is stapled, look for him to get finished there. This fight, and the Roy Nelson fight have a large percentage chance of the Crucifix position being instrumental.
4/24/13 6:23 PM
AshleySchaeffer

Good post.

I'm going miller, vinny, nelson, bisping and jones. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 6:25 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"If Chael hasn't drilled the Crucifix escape I have developed to create momentum to regain your arm that is stapled, look for him to get finished there."

So awesome

4/24/13 6:29 PM
ShoreBreaker420
1012 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan the man! Phone Post 3.0
4/24/13 6:31 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

(voted up)

4/24/13 6:34 PM
DanTheWolfman

Edited: 04/24/13 7:41 PM
Alright, well maybe that was going into Seagal territory a bit, but it gets people talking. Sorry if that was too over the top, )

I will try to tone it down slightly, but no matter what people say, I am correct about the needs for knee kicks, calf kicks, counters, Cage Turnarounds, Crucifix escapes, and other things that are missing even from big camps. The use of linear knee kicks and calf kicks has been Exponential. If contenders learn how to fight Jones the right way, and counter his common attacks, the fights will be much more entertaining for all of us. Similar, if the spreading of my Anti-Cage techniques ending Wall N' Stall make the sport more exciting we all win (Seriously, if I taught these and my Mount Secret that ends being able to survive mount at like a Zuffa Fighter Summit, the sport would be more exciting and a better product NO B.S. whether you like me or not). It is no lie, would have made DC/Mir better, Dennis Hallman just praised these techniques after seeing my 2nd Seminar DVD.

Still true though, if people don't drill the escape and fight Jones or Roy, they will have a good chance of getting finished. People concentrate on the untrapped or far arm, they need to focus first and foremost on reclaiming their trapped arm even if it means taking 1 or 2 hits.
4/24/13 6:36 PM
MMA Playwrite
610 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan "The NEW Fight Professor" Theodore!
4/24/13 7:15 PM
DanTheWolfman

Edited: 04/24/13 7:15 PM

NCIS Mossad Hitman photo NCISMossadHitman_zpsb80a30f6.jpg

4/24/13 8:49 PM
DanTheWolfman

That's wardrobe department bud, since I stayed in the car it didn't matter
4/25/13 11:05 AM
johnw323

jones belcher fat guy vinny and bam bam
4/25/13 11:08 AM
Card
1908 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

prelim picks? =)

4/26/13 6:48 PM
DanTheWolfman

Jones choke in 3rd be interesting, not only Machida but against Bader he got the turn up the volume Power McKenzie Guillotine. Should have good D'Arces too w those long arms
4/26/13 6:59 PM
DanTheWolfman

6'3" LHW Catch Wrestler OSP finally making UFC Debut

Rustam Khabilov, the Russian Sambo Suplex Machine is also fighting on FX Prelims!
4/26/13 10:07 PM
IceCreamCake

that's pretty much how I got my picks, keep up the good work Wolfman!
4/27/13 6:42 PM
DanTheWolfman

t3 hope I don't eat it lol
4/27/13 8:10 PM
IceCreamCake

Dan the Wolfman that pistol kinda scares me!
4/27/13 9:03 PM
burner22
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't watched your vids, but you absolutely correct about the need to have a counter for the oblique kick Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.