UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Interviewing the interviewer: Ariel Helwani, Part1

5/14/13 1:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Poindexter
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good interview.

5/14/13 3:08 PM
Sherdoggystyle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar - 
Ariel Helwani: That's right. I actually don't like to do too many interviews because it's not about me.

"Hey, what do you think of my shoes?"

"I'm sensing you have an issue with me?

"Rampage, do we still have a beef?"

I think he's more trying to develop that rapport with the fighters and get them to open up to him.

The shoes, as awful as they are, serve their purpose as sort of an ice-breaker.
5/14/13 4:07 PM
Kirik
1680 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Ariel Helwani is the best in the business.

5/14/13 4:41 PM
duckrabbit
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice interview. Don't mind the length, and good substance. Thanks for this!
5/14/13 6:46 PM
MrMead
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

Easy to be the best when you are the only one. What makes him the best?
5/14/13 6:49 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

he is the best interviewer just by virtue of being prolific...there are other interviewers that ask better questions or are more objective for sure...he definitely has a lot of things he can improve upon...

5/14/13 7:58 PM
3 Sided Square
407 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrMead - 
Kirik - 

There are probably numerous former sports writers or journalists who are currently out of work. There are probably a ton of recently graduated journalism students who could use the ease of access in MMA to cut their teeth, and springboard to an internship or even a job. They are nowhere to be found though, why? They either A) don't care about the sport to try and even work in it a little B) they aren't trying hard enough.

"A" alone would keep me from watching their interviews and reading their articles. If they have tried and haven't made it well then Ariel is doing something right. And for all the crap he gets about being scummy, even though it is warranted at times, is nothing compared to some of the stuff "highly regarded" mainstream sports journalist have said or done and are still hired or respected.
5/14/13 8:12 PM
Br0ckFnSams0n
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Swedgen -

So Ariel, Karen Bryant recently said she thinks she can perform better than you as an MMA journalist, what do you have to say about that?

Hey Karen, recently we had Ariel Helwani on our show and he was going on and on about how he's a better journalist than you.  Why do you think that is?

Lol vtfu Phone Post
5/14/13 8:47 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

He's good at what he does. I enjoy his interviews. Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 9:02 PM
ABE FROMAN
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL, this interview is a response to this board without actually responding on this board.

5/14/13 9:19 PM
MrMead
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3 Sided Square -
MrMead - 
Kirik - 

There are probably numerous former sports writers or journalists who are currently out of work. There are probably a ton of recently graduated journalism students who could use the ease of access in MMA to cut their teeth, and springboard to an internship or even a job. They are nowhere to be found though, why? They either A) don't care about the sport to try and even work in it a little B) they aren't trying hard enough.

"A" alone would keep me from watching their interviews and reading their articles. If they have tried and haven't made it well then Ariel is doing something right. And for all the crap he gets about being scummy, even though it is warranted at times, is nothing compared to some of the stuff "highly regarded" mainstream sports journalist have said or done and are still hired or respected.
I can see what you're saying, but how many of those journalists get access to Dana like Ariel? If they did, it wouldn't be the suck off festival like Ariel does. Phone Post
5/14/13 9:53 PM
Kirik
1680 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
MrMead - 
Kirik - 

Beats me. All I know is his interviews end up generating the most compelling content. He can pull off the MMA Hour for hours, and it remains entertaining. I don't know that anyone else could.

If you get liquored up enough, everything in MMA looks pretty doable, even fighting. I have done pretty much everything, and I can say confidently that what he does is tough, and interesting.

Hardest thing I think I think I ever did is color commentary, believe it or not. Insanely hard and you have to make it seem like it is effortless.

5/14/13 11:44 PM
Jeon Sa

Kirik -
MrMead - 
Kirik - 

Beats me. All I know is his interviews end up generating the most compelling content. He can pull off the MMA Hour for hours, and it remains entertaining. I don't know that anyone else could.

If you get liquored up enough, everything in MMA looks pretty doable, even fighting. I have done pretty much everything, and I can say confidently that what he does is tough, and interesting.

Hardest thing I think I think I ever did is color commentary, believe it or not. Insanely hard and you have to make it seem like it is effortless.

He has more access to UFC fighters than other people in the media. This in my opinion does not make him the best in the business.

Personally I don't care for him his ego is way too big.

Give me Junkie Radio over MMA Hour. Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 12:15 AM
M1number1Fan

"I actually don’t like to do too many interviews because it’s not about me."

LOL
5/15/13 12:33 AM
Franchise009

Ariel is not the franchise...
5/15/13 1:32 AM
Vote me down

Didnt read, I'm way too smart to waste my life on that wall of text.

5/15/13 1:45 AM
BJ_Penmanship
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Allen Hood - This shouldn't be on the news page. Bc no one cares about that goof. Phone Post 3.0
An for this reason...

(Insert GIF of your choosing)
DIDN'T READ! Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 11:00 AM
JonathanShrager

Buenos días amigos y amigas, I respect the fact that everyone is entitled to an opinion. By writing this post, I'm merely expressing mine, having personally conducted the interview with Ariel.

In my personal opinion, Ariel is one of the best in the business, and I knew that his experiences are unparalleled within MMA media, and consequently that interviewing him would yield some fascinating insight into the sport that we all love. Yes, he has more access than most to Dana and prominent MMA luminaries, but I believe he also capitalises on this access by asking questions that us fans want to hear. Having interviewed numerous high-profile MMA fighters myself (Rashad Evans, Brian Stann, Tom Watson, Paul Daley) I can vouch that procuring interesting interviews is by no means an easy task, and is probably more difficult than one would anticipate. It involves extensive research, and a certain amount of confidence to probe intimidating personalities regarding some controversial topics, especially if you're going to avoid the monotony of generic "are you looking to stand or take this one to the ground?" style questions.

So, at the very least, you can probably appreciate that Ariel does his job well by eliciting interesting interviews. And it's also difficult not to respect the manner in which he's a self-made man, whose resourcefulness and determination has led him to the pinnacle of his craft.

As a person, as far as my experience of dealing with Ariel, I can tell you that he took almost 2 hours out of his busy schedule to chat to me (discounting the previous and subsequent exchange of emails.) He didn't have to do that, especially when he's at home with his wife and baby, but he did. After all, I'm not necessarily someone that's going to enhance his career. But he took the time, and that says a lot about him. Furthermore, given his position within Zuffa and MMA in general, Ariel could've easily refused to answer/completely swerved certain testing questions that I quizzed him with, but he didn't. He answered everything openly and honestly. He also came across on the phone as a polite, down-to-earth and humorous bloke, who was willing to not take himself too seriously.

To those who appeared to do so, I'm glad you enjoyed Part 1. Parts 2 (released this Friday) and 3 (released early next week) are possibly even better.

5/15/13 11:32 AM
Kirik

The UnderGround, Mayor

Did anyone know that Ariel has competed in sports internationally? :-)

5/15/13 6:54 PM
hooha
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In what sports Kirik?

I've interviewed the guy myself and didn't know that! Certainly not combat sports coz he only started training recently right? Baseball?

And I look forward to what Helwani has to say about the Bob Sapp interview! I support AH but that still upsets me to this day...
5/15/13 7:28 PM
Shosh1n
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Best in the business" is a cliche, opinionated answer. Just started training recently huh? I'd love to spar him ;)

Helwanabee Nation! It's not about me! Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 8:48 PM
robnashville
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

says it's not about me....spends 5 minutes of 7 minute interview asking why a fight blocked him on twitter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAK0tsfnAWE

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.