UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> John Cholish blasts UFC fighter pay

5/22/13 10:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
canuck34
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chromium -

CindyO, if you're in the UFC, you should not have to work a day job to make ends meet period. Maybe if you're out a year-and-a-half or something (although if you're injured from training I would the UFC would still help you out a bit, let alone injured from a fight), but if you're healthy enough to fight the 2.4 fights a year the UFC offers on average, or even 2 (since a lot of guys can only get that), there should be _zero_ people in the UFC who are fighting 2-3 times a year and still making less than a living wage. Not entry-level guys, not outliers, zero. That John Cholish was actually taking a loss after extra expenses is straight-up embarassing, as is the fact that he's hardly alone. It doesn't matter that all the B-Leagues are worse about pay, that means nothing when the UFC is by far the top promotion in the world and supposed to be the standard-bearer for the sport in the first place. While these days it's the minority who have to supplement their income while in the UFC, it's hardly uncommon among the lower-tier fighters, and at this point it's no longer excusable and hasn't been for several years now. I love the UFC but this is one area which is a real eyesore to me.

You know what would be better than a Fighter's Union? Not having a need or reason for one in the first place. Dana and the Fertitas need to be pro-active here.

What? Why not? Just because you are in the UFC doesn't give you a pass on having a day job. Most boxers have day jobs.

You need to earn your way to being able to live off fighting. It isn't like there is a big amateur market where guys work their way up and get a following before going pro.

Sorry, but money is made as you win and become more popular. Phone Post
5/22/13 12:41 PM
Garv
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ban April 1st, Please!
nobones -  The thing that makes no sense about John Cholish is that he admits to taking the first offer made to him and then wonders why he wasn't paid better. And he is supposed to have a finance background! Of course the UFC or any organization will try to pay as little as possible for your services. I do agree it would be nice for the UFC to raise their minimum to $20k but when you have idiots like Cholish that agree to fighting for nothing when they don't have to...what do you expect? Phone Post

Because of the lack of competing orgs, the UFC is in a postion that they can say "take it or leave it."   You don't really get to negotiate, which is why Shogun said that you don't need a manager. 

5/22/13 1:35 PM
Triangle Choked
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caseharts - I will be happy when a Union comes about. 4000 is a tad low imo. Minimum should be 25 k pet fight. Phone Post
Good for the fighters, but who do you think ultimately pays for the increase in wages? Everyone in here will through PPV, tickets and merchandise increases. I personally am having a hard time justifying one, sometimes two PPV's a month to the boss (aka wife). Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 5:04 PM
youarewhatiswrong
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 
youarewhatiswrong - 
Frank Mir Cat - People who think the fighters should be making all the money and the Fertittas should be breaking even don't know shit about the real world. That's not how business works, the boss gets paid and then everyone else, the less valuable to the company, the less you get paid. (Unless you're unionized, in that system, useless pieces of shit can keep their jobs as long as they make their democratic party donations, er...I mean pay their monthly dues)

And with all due respect to Mr. Cholish, I doubt he was generating 8k in ticket sales or PPV buys, so his complaining makes him seem like a ingrate to me.

He doesn't need to generate $8k in ticket sales directly. He provides the UFC with content to put on the card. Without content, they can't sell a $60 PPV card. He is part of the UFC. Customers buy cards with him on it because he is part of the UFC, but the UFC cannot exist without him (and others like him). This is pretty simple.

No. PPVs are for the last 4-5 fights not the undercard. That's why they aren't aired on the PPV unless there's a bunch of time left at the end. This is pretty simple, if someone else hasn't already pointed it out.

Cindy

are you trying to pretend that the UFC doesn't get advertising money for their televised undercards? Are you trying to pretend that significant numbers of fans don't tune into the televised undercards, get all juiced up by the thrilling lower tier fighters performing for peanuts and change the channel to buy the PPV at the end?
5/22/13 8:12 PM
Chromium
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

canuck34 - 
Chromium -

CindyO, if you're in the UFC, you should not have to work a day job to make ends meet period. Maybe if you're out a year-and-a-half or something (although if you're injured from training I would the UFC would still help you out a bit, let alone injured from a fight), but if you're healthy enough to fight the 2.4 fights a year the UFC offers on average, or even 2 (since a lot of guys can only get that), there should be _zero_ people in the UFC who are fighting 2-3 times a year and still making less than a living wage. Not entry-level guys, not outliers, zero. That John Cholish was actually taking a loss after extra expenses is straight-up embarassing, as is the fact that he's hardly alone. It doesn't matter that all the B-Leagues are worse about pay, that means nothing when the UFC is by far the top promotion in the world and supposed to be the standard-bearer for the sport in the first place. While these days it's the minority who have to supplement their income while in the UFC, it's hardly uncommon among the lower-tier fighters, and at this point it's no longer excusable and hasn't been for several years now. I love the UFC but this is one area which is a real eyesore to me.

You know what would be better than a Fighter's Union? Not having a need or reason for one in the first place. Dana and the Fertitas need to be pro-active here.

What? Why not? Just because you are in the UFC doesn't give you a pass on having a day job. Most boxers have day jobs.

You need to earn your way to being able to live off fighting. It isn't like there is a big amateur market where guys work their way up and get a following before going pro.

Sorry, but money is made as you win and become more popular. Phone Post

Why not? Because this isn't motherfucking boxing and even boxing is starting to change their pay structure to give the undercard more. This is the UFC, a sports league, the major leagues of MMA and there is no equivalent in boxing. If you make it to the UFC you are in the top 2-3% of your profession and should be able to fully support yourself on it.

5/22/13 10:50 PM
Tomato Can
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"If you make it to the UFC you are in the top 2-3% of your profession"

Not true at all.
5/23/13 4:15 AM
CindyO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Macedawgg - 

The structure of MMA leads to the demise of other promotions, not the pay structure, which is intentionally deflated.

LOL at suggesting that the UFC simply can't afford to pay more.  That is hilarity.

Mace, who said they couldn't afford to pay more? I have no doubt they can but why pay a fighter more than market value again? Just to be a nice guy??? Isn't that what Affliction, Elite, etc did? And what happened to them?

How much can Viacom afford to pay their Bellator fighters? A hell of a lot more than Zuffa because they are worth CONSIDERABLY more, no? Either they feel their guys aren't worth more or they don't pay more because they don't have to in order to compete on the current landscape. Is that not hilarity?

Cindy

5/23/13 4:49 AM
Chromium
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - "If you make it to the UFC you are in the top 2-3% of your profession"

Not true at all.

Okay, outside of Womens Bantamweight, the UFC represents 2-3% of the global population of active fighters in each division across the board. I realize this doesn't line-up succinctly with "best in the world" as there are still great fighters outside the UFC, but outside of a handful of outliers in each division (and honestly we don't always know who they are), you'd have to be in the Top 5% if you're in the UFC. You get to the UFC, the world's largest fight promotion with 80+% of the elite talent, the major leagues, because they think you're an excellent fighter. Once you get there you should be making a living wage after job-related expenses. You know, like you'd earn as a manager at McDonald's. Not a decent wage, not a $100,000, just a living wage. There should be no exceptions to this.

5/23/13 5:01 AM
Chromium

CindyO - 
Macedawgg - 

The structure of MMA leads to the demise of other promotions, not the pay structure, which is intentionally deflated.

LOL at suggesting that the UFC simply can't afford to pay more.  That is hilarity.

Mace, who said they couldn't afford to pay more? I have no doubt they can but why pay a fighter more than market value again? Just to be a nice guy??? Isn't that what Affliction, Elite, etc did? And what happened to them?

How much can Viacom afford to pay their Bellator fighters? A hell of a lot more than Zuffa because they are worth CONSIDERABLY more, no? Either they feel their guys aren't worth more or they don't pay more because they don't have to in order to compete on the current landscape. Is that not hilarity?

Cindy

EliteXC gambled all their money on a gimmick in Kimbo Slice.

Affliction didn't just overpay, they ridiculously overpaid in some cases. Andrei Arlovski is a nice guy but wasn't worth $1.5 million. Ben Rothwell wasn't worth $250,000. Co-promotion with M-1 Global had its own toll.

And when people are saying the UFC is making money hand over fist, they're not talking about some giant media conglomerate owner, they're talking about the UFC. As in, they're making way more money than Bellator, no matter who Bellator's giant owners are. It's a fallacious comparison. Bellator is a tiny part of Viacom's portfolio and works on whatever budget it is given. So no, they probably can't afford to pay their fighters more, and I'm a much bigger UFC fan than Bellator fan.

5/23/13 9:54 AM
Tomato Can
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chromium - 
Tomato Can - "If you make it to the UFC you are in the top 2-3% of your profession"

Not true at all.

Okay, outside of Womens Bantamweight, the UFC represents 2-3% of the global population of active fighters in each division across the board. I realize this doesn't line-up succinctly with "best in the world" as there are still great fighters outside the UFC, but outside of a handful of outliers in each division (and honestly we don't always know who they are), you'd have to be in the Top 5% if you're in the UFC. You get to the UFC, the world's largest fight promotion with 80+% of the elite talent, the major leagues, because they think you're an excellent fighter. Once you get there you should be making a living wage after job-related expenses. You know, like you'd earn as a manager at McDonald's. Not a decent wage, not a $100,000, just a living wage. There should be no exceptions to this.

I'd say the figure is probably closer to the 5-10% range, but that's kind of beside the point. What I've been trying to say all along is that just because the UFC signs you, doesn't inherently mean anything about your talent level. Using the pro team sports analogy, there are dozens of players who get drafted by a major league team every year who will never see a major league game or make more than $1500/month on a minor league contract. Players who work other jobs during the offseason.

I'd also just like to reiterate for the umpteenth time (so I don't come off like too much of a DW apologist) that my biggest problem with the UFC's pay structure is the win bonuses. I have really seen no rational justification for it and it seems completely unfair to me. I think if guys were making 10/2 rather than 6/6 it would go a long way towards alleviating their concerns.
5/23/13 1:20 PM
Card
1914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/23/13 1:26 PM
TheKidAintMine
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sunderground - You cant be paid according to your market value when no market exists. To establish "market prices" you need more than one primary buyer (Zuffa) and one secondary (Viacom).

When some of you hit (community) college, sign up for an intro econ class. Might help.

Then what should you be paid?
5/23/13 1:27 PM
TheKidAintMine
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card - 

This is getting a little ridiculous now. Does John really think the UFC isn't going to pay him? Zuffa is obviously late, but does he think they're just not going to pay the fighters??
5/23/13 1:28 PM
UGSlapshot

I just don't see them violating a country's laws to protest in defense of fighters, they probably wanted into the Brazilian market so bad they just agreed to it. Phone Post
5/23/13 1:43 PM
UGSlapshot

CindyO -
Macedawgg - 

Cindy

Because people aren't cattle, if as you imply they can afford a "cost of living" wage for the fighter then they should do it. Phone Post
5/23/13 4:10 PM
CindyO

sunderground - You cant be paid according to your market value when no market exists. To establish "market prices" you need more than one primary buyer (Zuffa) and one secondary (Viacom).

When some of you hit (community) college, sign up for an intro econ class. Might help.

So Cholish could actually be worth less than 5k-6k since two competing promotions have no interest in him (well, not even one now)? Didn't think of it that way! Thanks for the enlightenment=)

Cindy

5/23/13 4:15 PM
HexRei

TheKidAintMine - 
Card - 

This is getting a little ridiculous now. Does John really think the UFC isn't going to pay him? Zuffa is obviously late, but does he think they're just not going to pay the fighters??

Not necessarily, but I say keep on giving us info. So much of this stuff goes on behind the scenes, and the UFC claims they treat everyone great, and of course the fighters on the roster almost always parrot that (possibly because the ones that don't end up gone, bridges burnt) so it's interesting when actual documentation is made public, both good and bad.
5/23/13 4:15 PM
CindyO

TheKidAintMine - 
Card - 

Looks like he's just trying to throw a dart back because DW made the washouts comment. I guess he shhhhhowed them=) Hitting Ariel up on Twitter to whine sure will get the banks to do what they're suppose to do!

Cindy

5/23/13 4:21 PM
HexRei

CindyO - 
TheKidAintMine - 
Card - 

Looks like he's just trying to throw a dart back because DW made the washouts comment. I guess he shhhhhowed them=) Hitting Ariel up on Twitter to whine sure will get the banks to do what they're suppose to do!

Cindy

So you have inside info suggesting that it's in fact the banks that are the cause of this delay?
5/23/13 4:23 PM
Thacommish
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 

So Cholish could actually be worth less than 5k-6k since two competing promotions have no interest in him (well, not even one now)? Didn't think of it that way! Thanks for the enlightenment=)

Cindy

You being so concerned about fighters making what they are worth i have a question. Where does the profit come from? are there fighters that bring in more than what zuffa is paying them? is this where the profits come from and how dana and lorenzo get paid? why are these people not being paid their value? Why is it ok to pay some guys less than what they are worth and also the go to reason why you cant pay a guy more ? Why does it instead go to dana? why does he have so many cars? who affords these cars? whats danas market value? is he being paid more than his value?
5/23/13 4:25 PM
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheKidAintMine - 
Card - 

what does that have to do with it,the only thing thats ridiculous is that the ufc is late.

5/23/13 4:27 PM
HexRei

Edited: 05/23/13 4:27 PM
Card - 

Also, I am far from knowledgeable about taxes except for my own personal experiences, but he will have to pay US taxes on this still too, right? Does he have to pay state?

It seems like taxes alone could eat up half his 6/6 easily (even worse if he loses). And if he really has to pay his own airfare, hotel, meals, transportation, etc... wow. There goes the whole paycheck.

Counting in paying coaches he *could* easily be losing money to fight down there.
5/23/13 4:29 PM
TheKidAintMine

CindyO - 

Cindy

Good comment. It's too bad that Cholish has retired. It'd be very interesting to see how much he could command on the open market from other promotions. Bellator wouldn't sign him since Bjorn has stated in the past that he isn't interested in signing guys cut from the UFC.
5/23/13 4:30 PM
TheKidAintMine

12 - 
TheKidAintMine - 
Card - 

what does that have to do with it,the only thing thats ridiculous is that the ufc is late.

I agree. Zuffa being late is no good. But I'm pretty sure at this point Cholish has an axe to grind and will do anything to make Zuffa and Dana look bad.
5/23/13 4:33 PM
D241

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Bellator-Signs-Brits-Paul-Sass-Rob-Sinclair-Martin-Stapleton-52693

"Bellator wouldn't sign him since Bjorn has stated in the past that he isn't interested in signing guys cut from the UFC."

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.