UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What should the fighter minimum pay be?

5/20/13 9:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Zero1
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UFC is the biggest MMA Event in the world. If you fight in the UFC it is like you are in the NFL, or NBA or premiere league in Soccer in Europe.....

Can you imagine that one of these athletes in the big leagues would play for 30000 Dollars a year (if a fighter has 3 fights)?
5/20/13 9:28 AM
JStrongMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10/10 is fair and I do think a finish bonus for every fight should be implemented. Phone Post
5/20/13 9:28 AM
New Leaf 1.0

Zero1 - The UFC is the biggest MMA Event in the world. If you fight in the UFC it is like you are in the NFL, or NBA or premiere league in Soccer in Europe.....

Can you imagine that one of these athletes in the big leagues would play for 30000 Dollars a year (if a fighter has 3 fights)?

No actually, getting into the UFC is nothing like being in the NFL, the NBA, or the premiere league in soccer. That's ridiculous.
5/20/13 9:31 AM
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ryans - 
New Leaf 1.0 - It should be the exact amount that both the fighter and the promotion agree to and you scumbags shouldn't interfere in other peoples business.

This this this this.

We don't need price fixing, it won't help the industry progress. We need market prices. You get my daily VU, NL1.0.

your right,so if i disagree i wont watch it.it would be best if us scumbags just boycott the prelims.the fighters will get paid no matter wat.

5/20/13 9:34 AM
UGCTT_Vidz
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see fighters earning at least 12.5-15k. with 3 or 4 fights a year that can be anywhere between 38-60k a year, and to fight that often in the year you'd have to assume there would be a couple of wins.

These guys are considered the cream of the crop of their sport, they should be compensated that way. I'd hate to think "I'm one of the best _____ fighters in the world, but my cousin that manages a retail/grocery store is making more than I am."
5/20/13 9:40 AM
Tilla

A flat rate of 30k. If you win a bonus after than then it's happy days.

30k with a contract stipulation agreement stating that you fight 3 times per year minimum.

If you can't survive on 90k a year you need your head looking at...
5/20/13 9:41 AM
Jesús X
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

50 k a fight , it is easily affordable now a days, win or lose, if a fighter fights 3 to 4 times a year he would make 150-200 k a year that is the lowest acceptable money for a world class MMA'ist in my mind, with sponsors the brokest mma'ist should make 300-500k a year like the mlb or nfl lowest paid guys.
5/20/13 9:45 AM
whoabro

ryans -
New Leaf 1.0 - It should be the exact amount that both the fighter and the promotion agree to and you scumbags shouldn't interfere in other peoples business.

This this this this.

We don't need price fixing, it won't help the industry progress. We need market prices. You get my daily VU, NL1.0.
Cosigned Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 12:24 PM
Kidd597
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would say 20/20...

Can't imagine being a full time mma fighter...so that "IF" one day I make it to the UFC..,,,I get $6,000 lol.... Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 12:28 PM
DRevan
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With the amount of money coming IN to the UFC specifically (nowadays anyway)...I don't see a moral rationale for paying ANY guys less than say...50,000 to fight.

Really.

What if...a guy goes in..gets armbarred or kimura'd etc....how does he feed his kids? Take his wife out? Live?

You know?

These fighters are the primary ENGINE of economic growth (income) etc...as such...given the success...it's definitely time that ALL fighers in the "majors" of the UFC...should at least be able to live a middle class life. REGARDLESS...

If you are good enough to fight in the UFC...you have earned a living wage.

IMO
5/20/13 12:34 PM
Tomato Can
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think minimum pay is a problem. The UFC has a very wide array of fighters on its roster. There are some guys on the roster who arguably aren't even top 100 in their weight class. I don't have a problem with them making $5-10K for a fight. There are plenty of low-level boxers who don't even make that much.
5/20/13 12:41 PM
Flexo
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 10k/10k

Every major sport has a minimum salary. UFC has a perception to some of underpaying guys because they want to be so fucking secretive. 10K is fair for what these guys are risking and sacrificing. Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 1:06 PM
i remember halloween

Edited: 05/20/13 1:07 PM

How about this for an idea.  Get rid of the win bonus and implement a finish bonus.  Instead of a min being 15 show / 15 win, make it 20 show / 10 finish.

5/20/13 1:32 PM
Tomato Can
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While I don't think minimum pay is a problem, I do think that the win bonus system is fucked up and should be WAY more minimal. Instead of 20/20 the structure should be way more like 35/5 or something like that. The idea that if you lose a war against a tough opponent that your pay drops by 50% (or conversely, if you win a gimme against a no-hoper that your pay doubles) is just crazy.

Supposedly this is a big reason Khalidov rejected the UFC's offer in favor of KSW. KSW's money was guaranteed and not dependent on a bonus structure.
5/20/13 1:35 PM
chew22
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think we do need to price fix the minimum.

The reason for unions initially was the abuse of the rich factory owners working 13 year olds 80+ hours a week for not enough to survive. They've grown to not work now, but not a bad idea initially.

Right now you've got some fat cats at the top flying around in Gulfstreams while Joe Average fighter can barely afford food and rent while training in his profession. It's exploitation. It needs a fix.

We have minimum salaries set in most professional sports. We're not even trying to make the fat cats provide entry level salaries. Just a fight purse that won't break the bank and will allow them enough to survive at just above poverty level to train fulltime and fight their next fight.

IMO the discretionary locker room bonuses paid by the fat cats are just a way to avoid anyone getting a real handle on this, a way to ensure total dependency and compliance, and a way to line their pockets.
5/20/13 1:40 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

A living wage. I honestly don't know.. but this 4k+4k shit is outdated. IF they make it to the UFC, the self proclaimed big leagues, they should have reflection in pay. Like I said in all the other threads, I'm not saying they should get 500k per fight each soon as they sign.. but They deserve to have a living wage where they focus purely on fighting. If they work a job that should be purely because they want to. And for zuffa, I'm not saying they shouldnt profit at all, I'm saying they should give back to those who actually are the product. They are a multi-billion dollar company, paying them a few thousand more per fight isn't going to break the profits. 

I don't have all the answers, but It's a good start to have the discussion without vitriole on each side of the issue. 

5/20/13 1:44 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

You have seen the contracts.. most of these guys don't have the ability to fight them.. BJ penn, Heath Herring, GSP, Randy etc.. all were able to make somewhat favorable contracts because they had names and the ability to fight it. Those are exceptions to the rules.. I get having contracts to protect the brand of the UFC, but what they do with the current contracts are lacking in integrity. 

5/20/13 1:48 PM
Tomato Can

People need to let go of this "UFC is the big leagues" idea. In the NBA/NFL/MLB, if you make it there, it basically means you are better than any player who is not in that league. In the UFC this isn't the case. Plenty of guys with UFC contracts are not elite fighters by any stretch of the imagination, and are worse than many fighters signed to other promotions. It's just not an accurate analogy.
5/20/13 1:53 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

Tomato Can - People need to let go of this "UFC is the big leagues" idea. In the NBA/NFL/MLB, if you make it there, it basically means you are better than any player who is not in that league. In the UFC this isn't the case. Plenty of guys with UFC contracts are not elite fighters by any stretch of the imagination, and are worse than many fighters signed to other promotions. It's just not an accurate analogy.

Oh really? Then YOU tell Dana White to stop making the analogy that we are using here. Dana's the one who stated they are the NFL of the MMA world. They are the ones who make the claims only the best of the best are in the UFC. Or are you saying that the UFC is bush league and Dana/Lorenzo/MMA media are liars?

5/20/13 2:00 PM
Tomato Can

Jesus, calm the fuck down. What I'm saying is, just because Dana uses this analogy as a stupid colloquialism to promote his brand, doesn't make it true, particularly not in the all-encompassing sense that you're taking it.

The UFC promotion is absolutely the most prestigious MMA promotion in the world, but that certainly doesn't mean that every fighter they have under contract is an elite talent. I don't think I'm being particularly controversial in saying that.
5/20/13 2:19 PM
Tomato Can

I'd also point out that it has to be very few fighters that are on 4/4 right now.

Even Kurt Holobaugh (0-1 in Strikeforce, 0-1 in UFC) made $6K for his last fight.
5/20/13 2:21 PM
Lobo8

Edited: 05/20/13 2:20 PM
He was 1-2 in the ufc. He has no else but himself to blame for his low pay. If he would have won those fights he would have a decent pay check.
5/20/13 2:23 PM
Poindexter
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

15/15 or 20/20 at least.

5/20/13 2:25 PM
CLINTK9
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in UFC, 10/10 ALL DAY. and thats for facebook prelims. if you make it to Fuel/FX prelims, then AT LEAST 15/15, but 20/20 sounds better. no one on a MAIN CARD of UFC should be getting less than 25/25!
5/20/13 2:29 PM
CurtisTheConqueror
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12K to show 12K to win.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.