UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What should the fighter minimum pay be?

5/20/13 2:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10/10 is fair I think.

Or structure the contracts for less win money, 15 base and 5 win.

5/20/13 2:42 PM
Tomato Can
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poindexter - 

15/15 or 20/20 at least.

I'm sorry but this is not realistic.

For reference, Glen Johnson, a perennial top 10 LHW for almost a decade, had trouble finding a big fight after losing to Chad Dawson, and took a fight against a B-lister on ESPN2. He made $12K for that fight.

Yet you're saying ANY fighter under contract with the UFC should be paid no less than $15K, no matter who they're fighting?
5/20/13 2:42 PM
Chris27

CLINTK9 - in UFC, 10/10 ALL DAY. and thats for facebook prelims. if you make it to Fuel/FX prelims, then AT LEAST 15/15, but 20/20 sounds better. no one on a MAIN CARD of UFC should be getting less than 25/25!

The way they do it their place on a card has nothing to do with the money they make.

They can sign a TUF fighter for 8/8 and stick him in the co main event of a Fuel card and he is still gonna get 8/8k.

Fighters arent paid based on card placement.
5/20/13 3:17 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

Chris27 - 
CLINTK9 - in UFC, 10/10 ALL DAY. and thats for facebook prelims. if you make it to Fuel/FX prelims, then AT LEAST 15/15, but 20/20 sounds better. no one on a MAIN CARD of UFC should be getting less than 25/25!

The way they do it their place on a card has nothing to do with the money they make.

They can sign a TUF fighter for 8/8 and stick him in the co main event of a Fuel card and he is still gonna get 8/8k.

Perhaps it's time they should? 

5/20/13 4:18 PM
chew22
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know - wherever you start you can't go down. I'd say 10/10 and then if mofos are still starving on 2 fights a year then bump it up.
5/20/13 4:25 PM
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - People need to let go of this "UFC is the big leagues" idea. In the NBA/NFL/MLB, if you make it there, it basically means you are better than any player who is not in that league. In the UFC this isn't the case. Plenty of guys with UFC contracts are not elite fighters by any stretch of the imagination, and are worse than many fighters signed to other promotions. It's just not an accurate analogy.

blame the ufc,they say there fighters r the best, then they should be paid as the best.

5/20/13 4:43 PM
Daverr

10-10 would e a decent step
5/20/13 4:53 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
15/15.
5/20/13 4:54 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/20/13 4:55 PM
TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Dbl.
5/20/13 5:52 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

New Leaf 1.0 - It should be the exact amount that both the fighter and the promotion agree to and you scumbags shouldn't interfere in other peoples business.

I think we know who's posting behind this SN..........

5/20/13 10:26 PM
sweepnchoke
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Purse Amounts for entire HBO televised boxing event, like say a UFC on Fox.

Vanes Martirosyan - $177,500
Erislandy Lara - $202,500

Mikey Garcia $155,000
Jonathan Barros $25,000

Terence Crawford $6,500
Sidney De Siqueira $6,000

Jesus Magdaleno $6,000
Jose Silveira $7,000

Andrew Hernandez $2,500
Rudy Puga $3,500

Jesse Hart $4,000
Joshua Meyers $2,000

Anthony Flores $2,500
Luis Hernandez $2,000

Brett Rather $2,500
Avery Gibson $2,500

Eric Flores $2,500
Daniel Calzada $2,000

5/20/13 10:51 PM
Tomato Can
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nobones -  At the UFC level I think $20,000 should be the minimum. After taxes that is only about $13,000. That needs to not only cover two months dedicated training but also training expenses, manager fees and additional travel costs for friends and family. In reality, to get to the UFC level can take several years of training and not making any money even losing money. So as soon as a guy makes it once he should be able to fly out more than a couple people should be able to fly out his parents and some loved ones and close friends that helped him get there and also put a little away for saving. Problem is fighters that settle for less. Lowers price for everyone. Phone Post

Let's not forget that if a fighter only banks like $30-40K in a year, they're going to get most (if not all) of that tax money back.
5/20/13 10:59 PM
MasterofMartialArts
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BTT-RyannVonDoom -
Chris27 - 

Perhaps it's time they should? 

I tend to agree with this Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 11:06 PM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

I'd be in favor of a system in which a debut UFC fighter gets a minimum amount of $ and anyone who has kids & no other income than being a 'pro cage fighter' is blackballed, those dirtbags need to leave the sport 

5/20/13 11:43 PM
Wicked smahtMF

ill say 15/5 show/ win
5/20/13 11:53 PM
Piyo

0/0

Fuck anyone who says differently. You shouldn't be able to forbid a free adult from fighting for a small amount of money in exchange for a chance to build his name.
5/21/13 1:38 PM
notsobigmike
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The main problem I have with most of the people arguing for a higher minimum is that their numbers have no basis in reality.

You can't just pull numbers out of the air and say that the minimum should be 10/10 or 20/20 because it sounds good.

Even a modest increase in minimum purse payments adds up when you apply it to all the fighters. In any business you need a plan when you're going to increase your expenses. That money has to come from somewhere.
5/21/13 2:54 PM
Son of Neckbone
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

notsobigmike - The main problem I have with most of the people arguing for a higher minimum is that their numbers have no basis in reality.

You can't just pull numbers out of the air and say that the minimum should be 10/10 or 20/20 because it sounds good.

Even a modest increase in minimum purse payments adds up when you apply it to all the fighters. In any business you need a plan when you're going to increase your expenses. That money has to come from somewhere.

The basis in reality is that at the organisation minimum, the fighters should be able to live on 3 fights per year comfortably.

At 10/10, even if he lost all three, that would put him at 30K/yr. That's a sad amount for a pro athlete, but livable. I imagine that's what your average garbage man is making per year.

Compare this to MLB, where the league minimum is more like a half million a year. Right now, at 4/4, if you fought 3 times that year and lost, you would be making 1/50th what the backup right fielder for the Cubs makes.
5/21/13 5:06 PM
Piyo

Son of Neckbone - 
notsobigmike - The main problem I have with most of the people arguing for a higher minimum is that their numbers have no basis in reality.

The basis in reality is that at the organisation minimum, the fighters should be able to live on 3 fights per year comfortably.

At 10/10, even if he lost all three, that would put him at 30K/yr. That's a sad amount for a pro athlete, but livable. I imagine that's what your average garbage man is making per year.

Compare this to MLB, where the league minimum is more like a half million a year. Right now, at 4/4, if you fought 3 times that year and lost, you would be making 1/50th what the backup right fielder for the Cubs makes.

What a load of shit. 3 fights per year? Why 3? Another number pulled out of your ass.

Who cares about how it compares to a garbage man's salary? A garbage man's value is not necessarily lower than that of any given fighter.
5/21/13 5:20 PM
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much

Funny how people that bitch about UFC fighters pay fail to state that these fighters AGREED to the contract and 6/6 or 8/8 is more then the low level boxers get on similar cards. Yet they love to point out what Floyd is making per fight. UFC is paying better then anyone in MMA right now and people are still bitching.
5/21/13 11:59 PM
jmacdoug
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

actually i change my vote to 20+10
5/22/13 12:27 AM
Chris27

Son of Neckbone - 

Its also bullshit to compare it to other sports, you do realize the UFC doesnt make anywhere near what the NFL or MLB makes per year, right?

There tv deals for one year are worth many many times what the UFC as a company are worth.

NFL tv deal is like 9 billion. most estimate UFC being worth 1 bill, maybe 1.5 bill tops. So yeah, its easy to pull numbers out for minimum players salaries when you are making billions a year.

Not saying the minimum in the UFC shouldnt go up, it should but its retarded to compare it to the big three sports pay.
5/22/13 2:08 AM
DanTheWolfman

Do what I suggested years ago, yearly pay for 3 fights per year Min.+Insurance. More Fights per year=more pay.

Or 13/13
5/22/13 2:16 AM
Attila
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

20/20. I think there'd be a significant increase in the talent level if fighters started getting paid that much.
5/22/13 2:17 AM
GregBell
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10k /10k is fair thats liveable anyways with sponsor money apperances. Potential bonus etc. Ufc can afford that boring or not a guy with volkmans talent shouldnt be making 40k a year thats rough.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.