UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jacob Volkmann on mission to "expose" UFC

5/21/13 9:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Clown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ed Kapp - 

AboveAndBeyondMMA.com: Were you expecting to be released?

Jacob Volkmann: No, no. I said in a few interviews that I did expect it, but I was just playing with the media. I had no idea.

AABMMA: How can a fighter go 6-2 and still be released?

JV: You tell me. Politics, my friend.

AABMMA: Are you at all bitter about how things worked out with the UFC?

JV: Very bitter. They always claim that they treat the fighters so well. Yeah, they treat the top five per cent of the fighters well — the ones that are on the main card all the time. They don’t treat the rest of them very well. The healthcare plan is horrible, with a $1,500 deductible per injury — the catastrophic-injury insurance is not even really good insurance. There’s no retirement fund, there’s no signing bonus. You start off at six-and-six, you’re really not making too much money because you’re self-employed, so you’re paying the self-employment tax and you’re paying the regular tax and income tax. So you’re paying twice as much in tax. They claim they’re treating the fighters well, but they’re not, realistically.

http://aboveandbeyondmma.com/?p=582

6-2?

more like 6-4

5/21/13 9:42 PM
Jsteven
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IIAces -
IP - I'm starting to change my view on fighters' pay.

The UFC's mindset seems to be that when a fighter makes it to the UFC, they've made it to the "show," and all other organizations are merely feeder systems or the "minors." If that's the case, then any fighter who makes it to a UFC card should feel they've achieved something special, and with that, should be compensated accordingly. Base pay should be much more than competing organizations, and more than 6/6.
Tell that to the MLB. Stars get paid more because they are stars. Sign a baseball deal. 30k a year, 7 year deal is starting contract if drafted after 1st round. If you make the MLB, league min is what, 300k yet arod makes 24-27 million. You get paid if you produce. Phone Post 3.0
First round picks are making a lot more than 30k Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 9:44 PM
M477
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

typical liberal whining from....a hardcore republican? if you don't like what you are paid, get a different job
5/21/13 9:55 PM
HexRei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/21/13 9:55 PM
M477 - typical liberal whining from....a hardcore republican? if you don't like what you are paid, get a different job

John Cholish is a Wall Street broker dealing in fossil fuels, so I doubt he's a liberal or anything, but he voiced similar complaints about fighter compensation right after retiring from the UFC.
5/21/13 10:08 PM
FixedPartialArts

HexRei - 
M477 - typical liberal whining from....a hardcore republican? if you don't like what you are paid, get a different job

John Cholish is a Wall Street broker dealing in fossil fuels, so I doubt he's a liberal or anything, but he voiced similar complaints about fighter compensation right after retiring from the UFC.

I don't know how that helps Volkmann's case, or your defense of it.

What it shows, is that a high percentage of republicans are hypocrites, whose basis for supporting or opposing policies almost solely depends upon a cost/benefit analysis for them personally at the time it's proposed.
5/21/13 10:10 PM
HexRei

FixedPartialArts - 
HexRei - 

What it shows, is that a high percentage of republicans are hypocrites, whose basis for supporting or opposing policies almost solely depends upon a cost/benefit analysis for them personally at the time it's proposed.

I wasn't defending Volkmann's case there, I was pointing out that he's not the only republican to hold the view. That's it. Not sure where you're pulling all this subtext from.
5/21/13 10:12 PM
DamnSevern
1198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar - 
Zed Wayne Zed - I cannot wait for the obligatory Dana calling he and Cholish "morons" during this week's scrum.

It will be epic Dana White anger towards these gents.

Book it.

Dana's already called them washouts.

John Cholish and Jacob Volkmann have been shitting on you about fighter pay just so you know.

washouts are never happy

that is fucked up

5/21/13 10:13 PM
DamnSevern
1198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FixedPartialArts - So he's only anti Obama's policies when they don't appear to benefit him personally? Now all of a sudden the coverage that is provided through employers is unfair and inadequate. He's exposing himself most of all.

this

5/21/13 10:16 PM
HELWIG

Does anyone think that for 50 dollars a PPV you should be watching guys who fight part-time?

5/21/13 10:17 PM
Humphrey

love the tattle tale running to dana.

The bottom line is it sure doesn't seem smart to me for a fighter that got cut to try trashing the biggest org in the business. Best keep your mouth shut. It can't do a single positive thing for you, and frankly, he looks like a bitter fighter because he got fired.

Keep your dirty laundry to yourself. It's going to bit him in the ass, and he'll likely never get back in the ufc now, so enjoy that 45 grand a year, it's all he'll ever make.
5/21/13 10:20 PM
FixedPartialArts

HexRei - 
FixedPartialArts - 
HexRei - 

I wasn't defending Volkmann's case there, I was pointing out that he's not the only republican to hold the view. That's it. Not sure where you're pulling all this subtext from.

I assumed you weren't just making a meaningless observation, rather there was a point behind it, like two conservatives complaining about a conservative policy makes it more apt it was indeed unfair, rather than them only caring about things when it adversely affects them personally.
5/21/13 10:23 PM
HexRei

FixedPartialArts - 
HexRei - 
FixedPartialArts - 
HexRei - 

I assumed you weren't just making a meaningless observation, rather there was a point behind it, like two conservatives complaining about a conservative policy makes it more apt it was indeed unfair, rather than them only caring about things when it adversely affects them personally.

My point was simple, but it was not meaningless. Sorry I didn't happen to explore the exact nuances that you did. Go have some hot cocoa and come back when you're less cranky.
5/21/13 10:41 PM
aka_rtotheoh

everything about him is boring Phone Post
5/21/13 10:44 PM
UGCTT Molsonmuscle360
263 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, I guess for a guy like Volkmann he probably wasn't getting much. He wouldn't get many of the discretionary bonuses for exciting fights, because we all know he rivals Fitch in the Ambien Factor. Look at what Cowboy said today, he's got all the toys he wants, and it's because he goes in there and throws down win or lose.
5/21/13 10:49 PM
weebrave
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
5/21/13 10:55 PM
mmamonstar

Jon jones, Frankie Edgar were both under card fighters not making shit and look where it got them. Who else has done it? They put the work in and made themselves successful. If u don't like the contract dont sign it. Phone Post
5/21/13 11:02 PM
Chris27

fryingarmbar - 
epwar -
Zed Wayne Zed - I cannot wait for the obligatory Dana calling he and Cholish "morons" during this week's scrum.

It will be epic Dana White anger towards these gents.

Book it.

Dana's already called them washouts.

John Cholish and Jacob Volkmann have been shitting on you about fighter pay just so you know.

washouts are never happy

Why can't Dana respond to criticism just once with an ounce of class?

He actually seems like a good guy but I hate how he presents himself and, by extension, the UFC. Phone Post 3.0

I can see both sides of it, first Dana is right, washouts are never happy, nobody is happy when they are fired. But I didnt get that sense from Cholish, Volkmann I think is just looking for attention though.

About how he responds, not even about this just some of the shit he says on twitter its like why bother? I like that he interacts with fans but you dont need to respond to every single person who talks shit, most do it to get you to say something stupid. How about ignoring them?

On the other hand it seems like he loves the UFC like a child and any parent will defend their child against anyone or anything, right or wrong. So when people attack his org he attacks back. So I can understand that but sometimes its better to just say nothing.

You dont always have to call people goofs, washouts, idiots etc. If someone says something like your org sucks you can say dont watch it then, have a nice day. You dont have to always say fuck you goof.
5/21/13 11:18 PM
daba

As much as I dislike him, he's right although he didn't articulate himself very well. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 11:28 PM
luctaro
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont really get all the fuzz about 6k/6k deals.

You know who signs those? The absolute lowest tier of fighter posible to enter the octagon. And before the contracted fights of the contract is over they either get cut or renewed with a better one.

And its not like TUF suddenly doesnt exist in this discussion. You know you are getting a 9k/9k deal if you go through that (and you dont suck terribly)
5/21/13 11:30 PM
TheLuckyMilkMan
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haadogei - i think it's ironic to be a staunch conservative and then complain about your rights as a worker in our free market society.

If you don't like what an employer is offering you, go work somewhere else. That's the free market. That's the whole cornerstone of conservative ideas. He is being a hypocrite.

UFC can run how they want and he can ask for better conditions. maybe he will get them maybe not. thats freedom. being a conservative doesnt mean you accept everything the way it is no matter what, it means you are against forcing companies and individuals to change if they arent commiting crimes or what should be crimes. you can be a conservative who wants better conditions at work and if you dont get it you can leave. i dont see the contradiction.

he lost me at "playing with the media" though.
5/21/13 11:46 PM
Jsteven
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FixedPartialArts -
HexRei - 

How does 2 guys show a high percentage? Where there only 3 or 4 guys in your sample group for this enlightening study? Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 11:58 PM
Frank Mir Cat

FixedPartialArts - 
HexRei - 

I can't get enough of people trying to sound intelligent while saying just some of the absolute dumbest shit I've ever heard, kudos.

5/22/13 12:00 AM
studiocamp
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's crazy to think Dana reportedly tips servers and dealers more than he pays some of his fighters.
5/22/13 12:01 AM
HexRei

Frank Mir Cat - 
FixedPartialArts - 
HexRei - 

I can't get enough of people trying to sound intelligent while saying just some of the absolute dumbest shit I've ever heard, kudos.

LOL!
5/22/13 12:01 AM
Mike_in_CA
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Apple is multi-billion dollar biz, should the guys in the warehouse make 200k a year ....they probably work harder than the senior guys who make good money ? You make the pay you negotiate. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.