UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighters Being jerks to Fans

5/22/13 6:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BRZ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since93 - Dana was super cool. Clay Guida was even cooler. Chatted with me for 5 minutes. Super cool guy.<br /><br />Rampage was a dick. At an autograph signing I asked him how TUF filming was going. He said "This aint no interview" then looked at his buddy like "who the fuck is this guy". He mumbled "This aint no god damn interview" several times as I walked away.
LOL on the Rampage part Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 6:21 PM
VelcroFly45
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I met Jens Pulver a year or so ago. He was awesome. I got to the appearance with about 20 minutes left, and Jens talked to me for 30 minutes at least. Super great guy. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 6:22 PM
Jack Brown
420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RearNakedToke - Mark Coleman called me a motherfucker in Japan once Phone Post 3.0
Better than an autograph. Phone Post
5/22/13 6:23 PM
UGCTT_5 for fighting
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skids182 - I've met quite a few fighters, and the only one who wasn't cool was Diego Sanchez. The worst part about it was that we weren't interrupting dinner or anything, it was at the fan expo in Toronto. Haven't cheered for him since.
Same experience with Forrest Griffin at t Boston '10 Expo. In Forrest's defense he was seated right next to Shogun and Shogun had his belt right in front of him. Phone Post
5/22/13 6:25 PM
UGCTT_5 for fighting
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wanderlei and Tito couldn't have been nicer. Was never much of a fan of Tito until after meeting him. Phone Post
5/22/13 6:28 PM
RearNakedToke
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Brown -
RearNakedToke - Mark Coleman called me a motherfucker in Japan once Phone Post 3.0
Lol I was legit scared. I will always have the night he roid raged on me and his manager had to stop him from killing me for no reason burned into my psyche. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 6:56 PM
HolyHackZack
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KyokushinCatch - 
HolyHackZack - 

I saw Josh Barnett at the last Seattle fights an no one seemed to recognize him. I said 'Hey Josh...' and his buddy kind of put his hand in my face like 'keep walking'. I think it was his buddy getting a little overzelous, definetly not saying it was Josh's fault.

met Josh at a fight in L.A. a couple of years ago. he was there by himself, and the fight promoter introduced us. Josh was very friendly and talked on about Catch Wrestling and anime

Good to hear and seems to be the theme of this thread. Most all encounters are awesome, sometimes misunderstandings and bad days happen to everyone. I work in high end customer service and I can't help but find myself treating someone with a 'fuck off' attitude from time to time. Would be hard to live up to those types of standards all the time.

5/22/13 7:23 PM
Stipe
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RearNakedToke - 
Jack Brown -
Lol I was legit scared. I will always have the night he roid raged on me and his manager had to stop him from killing me for no reason burned into my psyche. Phone Post 3.0

Backstory plz
5/22/13 7:30 PM
TheOneDylanThomas

UGCTT_5 for fighting - 
Skids182 - I've met quite a few fighters, and the only one who wasn't cool was Diego Sanchez. The worst part about it was that we weren't interrupting dinner or anything, it was at the fan expo in Toronto. Haven't cheered for him since.
Same experience with Forrest Griffin at t Boston '10 Expo. In Forrest's defense he was seated right next to Shogun and Shogun had his belt right in front of him. Phone Post

Met Forrest right after his weigh in for the Rampage fight. There are two double doors right behind where the weigh ins take place at Mandalay that lead outside near the pool area where a lot of the fighters exit rather than walk through the hotel. Especially fighters who have just weighed in and are dehydrated and dealing with fans is probably the last thing they want to do. So he could have understandably said no when I asked for a pic and I would have understood. Plus he looked really gaunt and exhausted. He was totally cool about it though and let my wife take a pic with him too. The worse part though is that by the time we took the second pic, he was swarmed by fans. There had to be at least fifty people surrounding him. No exagerration at all--the guy accommodated every single pic request for the next half hour. Felt horrible for the guy. Amazing. And clearly the karma came back around the following night for him.
5/22/13 7:47 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

TheOneDylanThomas - I've read here and on other forums about fighters who have a reputation for being dickish with fans; ex. Hughes, Shamrock, Sylvia, Randy, etc. But has anyone ever personally experienced this?

I've met Hughes and Sylvia and both were incredibly cool and engaging. Besides those two, I've met maybe 20 total fighters and have never had a single poor experience.

Dana and Renzo were probably the most awesome. Met Dana in 2006 after the US v/s Canada weigh ins. I was a TUF noob and a starstruck hayseed tourist from SC visiting Vegas for the first time. Asked for a picture and he not only obliged but talked with me for five minutes. Never broke eye contact even though we were surrounded by other fans. Lorenzo or Frank was in the conversation too. (I didn't know who the Fertittas were at the time. Doh.) But they didn't have to spend so much time with me. Didnt benefit them one iota. There was nothing extraordinary about me. Great moment. I don't think Dana gets the credit he deserves for his interactions with fans.

I guess I'm a bit skeptical of the "fighter x" is a dick to his fans stories. I've only had positive experiences.
You held eye contact for 5 full minutes? That's just fucking creepy. Phone Post
5/22/13 7:53 PM
Amir in Chicago

Koscheck was a dick at the fan expo few years ago. Wouldn't engage with fans or look at the camera when fans took pictures. Fedor was kind of dickish too when he fought Hendo, charged people for autographs. Met a ton of fighters, those two stick out. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 7:56 PM
DevinS
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sylvia is cool. Saw him in Columbus a few years ago and he was very gracious to the fans. Leben is also really cool, as is Mark Coleman.
5/22/13 8:06 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Wait, Fedor was charging for autographs? Phone Post
5/22/13 8:14 PM
TheOneDylanThomas

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - 
TheOneDylanThomas - I've read here and on other forums about fighters who have a reputation for being dickish with fans; ex. Hughes, Shamrock, Sylvia, Randy, etc. But has anyone ever personally experienced this?

I've met Hughes and Sylvia and both were incredibly cool and engaging. Besides those two, I've met maybe 20 total fighters and have never had a single poor experience.

Dana and Renzo were probably the most awesome. Met Dana in 2006 after the US v/s Canada weigh ins. I was a TUF noob and a starstruck hayseed tourist from SC visiting Vegas for the first time. Asked for a picture and he not only obliged but talked with me for five minutes. Never broke eye contact even though we were surrounded by other fans. Lorenzo or Frank was in the conversation too. (I didn't know who the Fertittas were at the time. Doh.) But they didn't have to spend so much time with me. Didnt benefit them one iota. There was nothing extraordinary about me. Great moment. I don't think Dana gets the credit he deserves for his interactions with fans.

I guess I'm a bit skeptical of the "fighter x" is a dick to his fans stories. I've only had positive experiences.
You held eye contact for 5 full minutes? That's just fucking creepy. Phone Post

Haha, yeah, that might have been too literally worded. It wasn't a staring contest. We had a conversation that he seemed genuinely engaged and interested in even though he was surrounded by fans.
5/22/13 8:14 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

HolyHackZack -

I saw Josh Barnett at the last Seattle fights an no one seemed to recognize him. I said 'Hey Josh...' and his buddy kind of put his hand in my face like 'keep walking'. I think it was his buddy getting a little overzelous, definetly not saying it was Josh's fault.

Did you have your cock out? Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 8:23 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Since93 - Dana was super cool. Clay Guida was even cooler. Chatted with me for 5 minutes. Super cool guy.<br /><br />Rampage was a dick. At an autograph signing I asked him how TUF filming was going. He said "This aint no interview" then looked at his buddy like "who the fuck is this guy". He mumbled "This aint no god damn interview" several times as I walked away.
Ha ha!! Rampage definitely thinks he's B.A. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 8:29 PM
Dougie
987 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Magnus - On a much smaller level, some of you may remember an MMA pioneer with the distinctive moniker 'Pain' Peters. I stood beside him and personally witness a crowd of French Canadian fans almost mob him to get signatures. He could not have been more pleasant or accommodating.

What is particularly noteworthy is that this was right after bad night for him. He had just lost an ugly fight that left his face sufficiently scuffed up that I was a little concerned that perhaps the hospital would have been a more appropriate place than standing among fans.

Pain had a bit of a following way, way back and once upon a time. He was very gracious with his time.

Pain Peters was UCC/TKO's bad guy and the fans loved him for it.

He still posts in the Canadian UG.

...and he is loved for it.
5/22/13 8:38 PM
myee8

Bisping seems to be a pretty cool guy when i met him, can't see the hate he often gets...

5/22/13 8:46 PM
BrunoMcGyver
263 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only fighter I've met in Melvin Manhoef in Singapore last year. He was doing a lil pre-fight pree conference and taking pics after it. He was the first fighter I'd met in like 9 yrs as a fan so I was nervous as fuck and it kinda showed.

He was really nice and all but I could tell part of him thought I was a werido, but I don't blame him since I was a bee's dick from totally freaking out lol.

I know she's not a fighter, but I was right near Tracy Lee during the One FC 3 weigh ins. I was kinda shy and she was taking pics and shit, so instead of saying anything I just had a perve while she was doing her work hahaha!

TheOneDylanThomas

myee8 - 

Bisping seems to be a pretty cool guy when i met him, can't see the hate he often gets...

Agreed.
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
I've been pretty lucky in all my encounters over the years. I've met a lot fighters in my time, Fedor, Chuck, Randy, Tito, BJ, GSP, JBJ, Anderson, Cain, Benson, Hendo, just to name some. None have refused a photo op or autograph. The one time I got turned down for a pic was at UFC 44 by Rampage. Tito just got beat by Randy and my buddy and I had backstage passes. We saw Rampage and went up to him to ask for a pic, He declined. We got about 15 feet away and he called us back and took a pic with us. I didn't realize at the time he was checking up on Tito who was getting seen by the Dr. at the time we asked him. Every fighter has been more than friendly. One of the many reasons I love this Sport.
5/22/13 8:48 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/22/13 8:57 PM
TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Hardest handshake goes to Houston Alexander. That guy had a Vice Grip.
5/22/13 9:03 PM
TheOneDylanThomas

KyokushinCatch - got one more

saw BJ Penn alone at the inter-island terminal of the Honolulu Int'l Airport. I was on-duty and in (LE) uniform while approaching Penn. as I did so, you could see the wheels turning in his head trying to figure out my intentions. recognizing this, I smiled and said "hey champ." disarmed, he smiled back, shook my hand, and chatted with me for a little while. I found him to be soft-spoken, as well as a bit smaller in person than he appears on TV

That would be awesome. He and Wanderlei are the two fighters I'd most like to meet.

I met Eddie Bravo after a Joe Rogan show at Mandalay. I wanted him to think I was more knowledgeable about BJJ than I actually was and congratulated him on tapping Renzo. Total dumbshit comment. He corrected me but did it a lot more politely than I probably deserved. He and Joe both seemed to be really down to earth guys.
5/22/13 9:21 PM
UGCTT_granite007
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/22/13 9:21 PM

I've met many over the years and have never really had a bad experience.

The wife and I met Mike Bisping,  just the other day... Really cool guy.

5/22/13 9:28 PM
ku3mm3t
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Met a ton. Never really a bad experience. All really cool people with great stories to tell if you get the chance.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.