UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> SOCCER KICKS: Why It's NOT MMA Without Them

6/1/13 12:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Haulport
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/01/13 1:09 PM

If anyone doubts that soccer kicks and knees on the ground are not ESSENTIAL to a fight all you need to do is watch the above... They COMPLETELY CHANGE the flow of a fight and how a fight is fought. The SCRAMBLE which is possibly the most important phase of an MMA match (standing/ground/scramble/clinch) doesn't even EXIST without these moves.

Without these techniques it is NOT AN MMA FIGHT. Period. It is some other shit.

6/1/13 1:11 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I could live without soccer kicks if they added knees on the ground.
6/1/13 1:13 PM
Haulport

RileyPust - I could live without soccer kicks if they added knees on the ground.

You might be missing the point here...........

6/1/13 1:17 PM
Haulport

Do you guys see the gif? Do you see how hard it is to hit a moving target even with soccer kicks? Do you understand that just knees to the head on the ground are not even remotely enough because it is 20 times harder to hit someone moving like that with a knee?

6/1/13 1:17 PM
Ligeia420
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Knees to the head grounded, and soccer kicks need to be added to unified rules. Makes you be more cautious on the ground instead of putting a hand down to protect yourself, and all that other bullshit.

OneFC rules > all.
6/1/13 1:19 PM
Haulport

Ligeia420 - Knees to the head grounded, and soccer kicks need to be added to unified rules. Makes you be more cautious on the ground instead of putting a hand down to protect yourself, and all that other bullshit.

OneFC rules > all.

ONE still needs to add stomps...But close to perfect now.

6/1/13 1:24 PM
morse
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Knees on the ground would be really nice.
6/1/13 1:30 PM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would love to seem them myself.

Has anyone ever surveyed UFC fighters about this?

I'd be interested in knowing what the majority of them think.

6/1/13 1:56 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport - 
RileyPust - I could live without soccer kicks if they added knees on the ground.

You might be missing the point here...........

Nope. I don't disagree with you, I was saying that for me even just adding knees to the head would solve enough of my perceived issues with the current rules to satiate me. Adding knees would fix a lot of problems even without kicks, whereas if you just added soccer kicks I think it would be a smaller scale improvement. Both would be ideal, but I feel that one is more important than the other.
6/1/13 1:57 PM
Ligeia420
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport - 
Ligeia420 - Knees to the head grounded, and soccer kicks need to be added to unified rules. Makes you be more cautious on the ground instead of putting a hand down to protect yourself, and all that other bullshit.

OneFC rules > all.

ONE still needs to add stomps...But close to perfect now.

True but you can still stomp body and legs.
6/1/13 1:57 PM
Winston Wolf
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wrong MMA is not a street fight ..it is MMA which is not a street fight
6/1/13 1:59 PM
Sprawl'n'Stall
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I Hunt Purple-Headed Yogurt Slingers - 

So many fights would be play out differently if knees to the head were allowed on the ground.

When you're watching your next UFC event, pay attention to how many times somebody would be in danger of a knee to the head if it weren't for the rules.   Lots!

JustBleedGuy would love it, because many would bleed.

I'm willing to part with soccer kicks. But indeed, knees the head of a downed fighters should be back. Sidemount is almost useless now, and many openings can be created with knees, and scrambles to avoid them.

And add one more thing, kicks to the head between TWO downed fighters. Again, a lot more action in the ground game.

6/1/13 2:05 PM
caposa
1847 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was such an awesome fight between Ueda and Belingon.

One FC rules are far superior to the Unified Rules. It is such a dynamic sport as it is, but grounded knees and soccer kicks just adds another dimension to the fight.

6/1/13 2:10 PM
Blunted Ninja
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I honestly think some of these lay and pray wrestlers would be alot more dangerous and have more finishes if it were allowed. Phone Post
6/1/13 2:11 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the onefc rule that dq'd arlovski needs changing

6/1/13 2:12 PM
timak

The rules definitely need to be looked at. However, if your going to allow knees to the head of a grounded opponent you should also allow the 12-6 elbow, kicks between two grounded opponents and the heel kick to kidney. Soccer kicks should not be introduced in my opinion as they are simply too violent to ever allow MMA to become a mainstream sport.

On another topic I think fighters should be forced to wear shorts when they fight as it simply gives the sport a better image.
6/1/13 2:13 PM
caposa
1847 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ranier wolfcastle - 

the onefc rule that dq'd arlovski needs changing

It was changed after that event. Soccer kicks are now legal at all times.

6/1/13 2:19 PM
ShawnTheBadger
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That Doc from MMAJunkie (whatshisface) has stated that the force generated by a soccer kick to the head of a downed opponent (IIRC it was Roger Huerta in OneFC) can easily be too powerful for the muscles and bones in the neck/cranium.  Ie... possible paralysis or death.

I don't understand no knees on the ground.  As you can thai-clinch and pull your oppenents head down and into your upward knee-strike like AS did to Franklin.  How a downed knee could be any more devastating than that perfecly legal technique, I am not sure.

6/1/13 2:28 PM
ChicagoTom
342 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 2:36 PM
RileyPust

Sprawl'n'Stall - 
I Hunt Purple-Headed Yogurt Slingers - 

So many fights would be play out differently if knees to the head were allowed on the ground.

When you're watching your next UFC event, pay attention to how many times somebody would be in danger of a knee to the head if it weren't for the rules.   Lots!

JustBleedGuy would love it, because many would bleed.

I'm willing to part with soccer kicks. But indeed, knees the head of a downed fighters should be back. Sidemount is almost useless now, and many openings can be created with knees, and scrambles to avoid them.

And add one more thing, kicks to the head between TWO downed fighters. Again, a lot more action in the ground game.

Yes, upkicks should be fair game at all times.
6/1/13 2:38 PM
Thacommish
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The SCRAMBLE which is possibly the most important phase of an MMA match (standing/ground/scramble/clinch) doesn't even EXIST without these moves."

O.o?
6/1/13 3:28 PM
Haulport

Winston Wolf - wrong MMA is not a street fight ..it is MMA which is not a street fight

Leave it to you my fren to say something that is not only COMPLETELY illogical and WRONG but is comprised of 100% opinion yet stated as fact..........!

6/1/13 3:39 PM
WickedWyatt234

I think there should only knees to the head on the ground for the bottom guy. Cause doesn't the guy on top have enough of an advantage? Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 4:11 PM
DamnSevern
1209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4later Phone Post
6/1/13 4:20 PM
Mr Spliff

Agreed Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.