UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bravo: I've wanted this rematch for 10 years

6/10/13 10:02 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Yesterday during the Metamoris 2 event it was announced that Eddie Bravo and Royler Gracie would square off in a future event in a rematch of their famous 2003 ADCC bout. That jiu-jitsu match may be the single most talked about jiu-jitsu match in history and launched Bravo's career as he was the first American to tap a Gracie in a tournament and the first person to ever tap Royler.

For some reason or another, the rematch has never come to fruition, but finally it seems as though the Metamoris promotion was able to get the deal done. Eddie spoke at the post-fight press conference about what the rematch means to him:

Eddie Bravo: You can't predict fights, you know that. I know the only thing I can control is my training, how I approach the fight, and my strategy. I'm going to come at him hard. He's a legend. For me to sit here and think 'oh, I'm gonna beat him again', that would be stupid. He can catch me, you know. Most people think I got lucky and he would nine out of ten times. I think that's wrong, I think he'll win six out of ten times. Not nine. And which one will this be, we'll see.

Royler Gracie: A fight is a fight like everyone knows. You make a little mistake and he's going to take advantage. Sometimes you don't need to make a mistake and he catches you anyways. I try to do my best for the next one. I don't like to my some...what happens is going to be, but for sure I'm going to give my 100%.

Eddie Bravo: Nobody had to convince me to do this. I've been wanting the rematch for the last ten years. I thought it would be great. I got lucky to go against a legend once. Most people, most lightweights, their dream was to go against Royler. I was lucky enough get pitted up against him. And I got lucky enough to win. And do have that happen again is amazing. In my eyes the rematch is something that jiu-jitsu fans would want to see. If Buster Douglas got a rematch with Mike Tyson, that is something I would want to see."

6/10/13 10:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Poindexter
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fix the damn ads so they don't cover the first post.

6/10/13 10:16 AM
HELWIG
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"That jiu-jitsu match may be the single most talked about jiu-jitsu match in history and launched Bravo's career as he was the first American to tap a Gracie in a tournament and the first person to ever tap Royler."

why not do basic research?

bravo hasnt competed in ten years. how is this compelling?

6/10/13 10:17 AM
DJmixmasterMobbie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poindexter - 

Fix the damn ads so they don't cover the first post.

DIS
6/10/13 10:19 AM
UGCTT_Blake
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HELWIG -

"That jiu-jitsu match may be the single most talked about jiu-jitsu match in history and launched Bravo's career as he was the first American to tap a Gracie in a tournament and the first person to ever tap Royler."

Because it is perceived as his chance to prove it wasn't a fluke. Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 10:23 AM
The Loge
841 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't wait for this match! WAR EDDIE BRAVO! Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 10:25 AM
Jump Kick
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice

6/10/13 10:29 AM
bjjmosh24
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wonder if Royler is getting his $50,000? Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 10:33 AM
BigWilliam
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is this huge? When was the last time either was relevant at all in competitive grappling again? Did bravo go on to win anything? Why isn't bravo calling out someone that is actually winning high level matches?
6/10/13 10:34 AM
The Loge
841 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigWilliam - How is this huge? When was the last time either was relevant at all in competitive grappling again? Did bravo go on to win anything? Why isn't bravo calling out someone that is actually winning high level matches?
Hi! My name is Ura, Ura Fag! Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 10:45 AM
HandyDarsh
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HELWIG - 

yeah i mean its not like he's been rolling with some of the best grapplers in the world during those 10 years...

you're making it seem like all hes done is sit on a couch and blow dro for the last decade.

i'm sure if he gets his cardio/endurance in check he will do just fine.

6/10/13 10:46 AM
HandyDarsh
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigWilliam - How is this huge? When was the last time either was relevant at all in competitive grappling again? Did bravo go on to win anything? Why isn't bravo calling out someone that is actually winning high level matches?

VTFD

6/10/13 10:54 AM
Tree Hugger
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/10/13 10:54 AM
Just for correction Eddie wasn't the first person to sub Royler in competition Mario Sperry was. On that note I love Eddies outlook going into this match and hope the best for him.
6/10/13 11:01 AM
SecondBase
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The article said first "American" to tap a Gracie.
6/10/13 11:11 AM
Tree Hugger
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and directly after that first person to ever tap Royler. "he was the first American to tap a Gracie in a tournament and the first person to ever tap Royler.
6/10/13 11:11 AM
Tree Hugger

and directly after that first person to ever tap Royler. "he was the first American to tap a Gracie in a tournament and the first person to ever tap Royler.
6/10/13 11:13 AM
Blackbeltpanda
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I won't believe it until they are both on the mat Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 12:22 PM
biggator
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in his weight class maybe sperrys a big dude
6/10/13 12:25 PM
I LOVE GSP

Blackbeltpanda - I won't believe it until they are both on the mat Phone Post 3.0
Pretty well. Phone Post
6/10/13 12:46 PM
DonFrye_Fan

It's not a fight.... Phone Post
6/10/13 12:54 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
596 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yay ! Phone Post
6/10/13 12:55 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

very cool, will be watching...

6/10/13 1:20 PM
HELWIG
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im not telling anyone not to watch it.

Im saying Bravo intentionally chose to retire and teach rather than compete against any of the dozens of big names in his size range that have risen up since then.

Youre not gonna see two guys in competition level shape at the top of the game like you did the first time.

6/10/13 1:22 PM
RPBJJ
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now I like Eddie... great coach, great personality, etc. Id love to train with the man. But lets remember that he is still eating spaghetti O's in his parents basement if not for Royler Graice. Like it or not Relak was right. Royler gave Eddie his name in BJJ today.

Now I cant decide if this match is gonna be awesome or and old Royler going against Eddie who has had one match since their last one.

6/10/13 1:33 PM
leftlegtrumpcard
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eddie's attitude is a tribute to bjj. He wasn't harsh and shows admiration and humility. He says he thinks royler takes it six outta ten, and that it's an honor. I like the sportsmanship and hope both show up in top form, leaving it all on the mats. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.