UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Faber: 'Nothing to gain' versus Alcantara

6/10/13 10:08 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Urijah Faber is one of the most recognizable mixed martial arts athletes in the world. A former world champion who has been in more title fights and number one contender fights than most, Faber steps into strange terrority for his nexst bout. Although he agrees that his next opponent Yuri Alcantara is a tough test, the unfamiliar aspect is fighting someone with no name value and his opinion has no value for him in winning, except not to lose.

"The hard part on my side is, nobody knows who the heck he is and there's nothing really to gain," Faber said. "He's ranked No. 13 in the (UFC) rankings, and I'm ranked No. 3. He's a dangerous fight."

Faber and Alcantara are in the same No. 3 and 13 positions in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA bantamweight rankings, as well.

But rather than sit on the sidelines, Faber decided staying active and continuing to build a win streak is the best path toward another title shot.

"There wasn't much out there for me," Faber said. "So I can just be thankful I have a fight – I get paid when I have a fight, my name's out there when I have a fight, I get to do what I love when I have a fight. So as long as I approach it like that – the thing to gain here is another win on my record and one step closer to getting that belt, which is my goal, and putting on a great show for the fans. That's what this means."

read entire article...

6/10/13 11:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
VITRTOR Yellow'd in my mouth
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He speaks the truth altogether.

The only good thing to come from this is a strengthened case towards another bout with Cruz/Barao. Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 11:49 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
559 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely true. Alcantara is probably the most underrated fighter in the UFC. High risk, low reward for Faber. Props to him for taking it. Phone Post
6/10/13 11:53 AM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you gain some credibility against a tough opponent...dont expect to be gifted another title shot uriah

6/10/13 11:54 AM
Vote me down

Stay active Faber. Stupid fight for him though, wtf dana.

6/10/13 11:57 AM
Agnt

Vote me down - 

They want an up and comer to beat Faber like Silva was to Fitch. They don't want Faber to get another title shot
6/10/13 11:58 AM
TeamRenzo

I am not a big fan of a fighter saying that he has nothing to gain from fighting someone but Faber has a good point.

Props on him taking the fight!
6/10/13 11:59 AM
weebrave
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agnt -
Vote me down - 

They want an up and comer to beat Faber like Silva was to Fitch. They don't want Faber to get another title shot
You sure? Faber Cruz 3 is the biggest fight bantamweight can have Phone Post
6/10/13 1:01 PM
kungfugrip

why cant he just keep fighting for the title until he FINALLY wins it?
6/10/13 8:14 PM
BJJkilla
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he's already looking past yuri, big mistake because yuri ain't a easy fight. hope yuri can humble faber who seems to think he deserves a title shot every other fight.
6/10/13 8:25 PM
Dumbass JoeMimic
595 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJkilla - he's already looking past yuri, big mistake because yuri ain't a easy fight. hope yuri can humble faber who seems to think he deserves a title shot every other fight.
He's not looking past him at all. Clearly he knows who Yuri is and how good he is. He's merely stating that nobody outside of Hardcore fans knows about the kid.

If he loses to the casuals Faber got beat by a nobody and if he wins it's oh he beat a nobody.

He also clearly says he needs to win to continue towards a possible title shot. He knows he's going to have to keep winning to have a shot once Barao and Cruz finally meet. Phone Post
6/10/13 9:02 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

In my opinion, Yuri is the better fighter. So Urijah has just as much to gain as when he fights anybody else better than him. He has more to gain here, than he did against Ivan Menjivar.
6/10/13 9:28 PM
BJJkilla
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dumbass JoeMimic - 
BJJkilla - he's already looking past yuri, big mistake because yuri ain't a easy fight. hope yuri can humble faber who seems to think he deserves a title shot every other fight.
He's not looking past him at all. Clearly he knows who Yuri is and how good he is. He's merely stating that nobody outside of Hardcore fans knows about the kid.

If he loses to the casuals Faber got beat by a nobody and if he wins it's oh he beat a nobody.

He also clearly says he needs to win to continue towards a possible title shot. He knows he's going to have to keep winning to have a shot once Barao and Cruz finally meet. Phone Post

bringing up about how yuri isn't ranked in the top 10, nothing to gain, how this fight is just essentially another payday, how it's just another win for his record, etc.; sounds he's looking past yuri imo.

6/10/13 9:39 PM
GROUNDnLB
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - Definitely true. Alcantara is probably the most underrated fighter in the UFC. High risk, low reward for Faber. Props to him for taking it. Phone Post
Yup Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 10:09 PM
FixedPartialArts

That's bull. Alcantara is coming off an impressive performance, has only lost once in Zuffa, and has defeated guys like Lamas and Trinaldo. He gets some credit if he beats Alcantara. I actually give Yuri an edge.
6/10/13 10:38 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 06/10/13 10:42 PM
Faber by destruction. Faber destroys everyone not named cruz or barao.
6/10/13 10:43 PM
Joemacka
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would have preferred faber vs pickett Phone Post 3.0
6/10/13 10:48 PM
Poptarts

Yuri Alcantara is a sleeper and would put down most guys in the top 10 at Bantamweight. This is an amazing fight that will put Faber right up at the top as a number 1 contender along with Wineland and Assuncao.

I think Wineland vs Assuncao for next crack at Cruz/Barao while Faber/Alcantara face Pickett/Mcdonald.
6/10/13 10:50 PM
FixedPartialArts

MMALOGIC - Faber by destruction. Faber destroys everyone not named cruz or barao.

Nonsense, Alcantara could be Barao at 135 for all we know. He's lost once in Zuffa, and it was at a higher weight class than this.

Also, age is going to catch up w/ Faber soon. He has a style heavily predicated on athleticism and he's 34. He hardly destroyed Old Guns in his last fight.

You should not be so sure Faber will have an easy time here.
6/10/13 10:50 PM
Dumbass JoeMimic
595 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJkilla -
Dumbass JoeMimic - 

bringing up about how yuri isn't ranked in the top 10, nothing to gain, how this fight is just essentially another payday, how it's just another win for his record, etc.; sounds he's looking past yuri imo.

He's not going by the USA today rankings. He's probably not even in the ufc rankings. He's talking about the positives of the situation because out of the payday and keeping his name out there isn't many positives.

He has to fight a super tough dude and again nobody outside of Hardcore people have a great us who Yuri is. Phone Post
6/10/13 10:57 PM
MMALOGIC

FixedPartialArts - 
MMALOGIC - Faber by destruction. Faber destroys everyone not named cruz or barao.

Nonsense, Alcantara could be Barao at 135 for all we know. He's lost once in Zuffa, and it was at a higher weight class than this.

Also, age is going to catch up w/ Faber soon. He has a style heavily predicated on athleticism and he's 34. He hardly destroyed Old Guns in his last fight.

You should not be so sure Faber will have an easy time here.

look at the top contenders:

Eddie Wineland and Raphael Assuncoa.

Faber destroyed both those guys.

Menjivar was also a top contender... faber ate him up as well.

Alcantara is a very talented fighter but Faber demolishes everyone unless they are as good as Cruz or Barao.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.