UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Tim Kennedy Blasts Pay

6/25/13 11:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Paul_Blanka_Harris
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My spelling is extra bad but im doing this from my touch screen phone and they still have not added a edit bottom on this daam app Phone Post
6/25/13 11:41 PM
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

most these guys would make more money if they were in sag and just made tv money.

6/25/13 11:49 PM
TheVileOne
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12 - 

most these guys would make more money if they were in sag and just made tv money.

Then they should quit MMA and become TV stars and work on The Big Bang Theory.

6/25/13 11:49 PM
VITRTOR Yellow'd in my mouth

daba -
VITRTOR Yellow'd in my mouth - Fighters aren't overpaid. NFL/NBA/MLB players are. Phone Post 3.0
They bring in the money so they aren't overpaid. If the owners make millions and have billion dollar franchises the players should get millions. Phone Post 3.0
Fighters bring in the money for their employers, and are making jackshit. UFC yearly earnings may not be on par with those leagues, but the fractions of each other's pay/earnings are definitely not equal.

So yes, NFL/NBA/MLB players are overpaid. $20 million to hit or throw a ball...pfft. I throw a ball, I get yelled at for hitting an old person in the head. Phone Post 3.0
6/25/13 11:52 PM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Macedawgg - 

http://placetobenation.com/exclusive-ufcs-kennedy-slams-fighter-pay/

“It’s a good thing I have another job because the UFC doesn’t pay very well.”

"Kennedy also took aim at MMA sites who push the UFC’s “propaganda” that fighters are overpaid, and claimed that he could make a better living as a firefighter, cop or even from working in a supermarket.

When asked if he thought that this was a reality of the sport, Kennedy said: “Anybody who accepts that as a reality of the sport is sad and pathetic. I hope this isn’t the reality of the sport, if it is I should probably go do something else, like empty trash cans. I’d make more money than I do now.”

Well, well, well. 

Kennedy must be inventing, and is a fraud of a source.

--The UG

Why wasn't Tim complaining when he was with Strikeforce?

He is still under a SF contract will be make, according to him, the same 55k to show. So that was ok before, but awful now?

I guess I can see him feeling the UFC should have increased his pay, but they are not legally obligated to do so.

That said, 55k for one fight...please find me supermarket workers, cops of firefighters that make 55k for less than a year of work. Suggesting that Tim only fights twice in a year, the base is 110k.

I am not saying he should not get more, but to compare that pay to a cop or supermarket employee is damn insulting.

I now read that article and it suggests that GSP made 400k a fight...yet GSP himself puts it at 4 million.
6/25/13 11:52 PM
grafzep
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everybody likes to make more money. All power to him in getting paid more but I'm just pissed that he's on this ppv I'm buying with my money. I'm not a fan.
6/25/13 11:55 PM
FloridaStriker

you want money. Become a fucking doctor or get a real profesion. You want to be a fighter? Spartans slept on concrete floors.

This is why boxing doesnt exist anymore. Gave one pussy too much money and attention and found out he was a businessman instead of a boxer. If youre looking to get paid. Go to college like everyone else. You dont get micheal jordan money for deciding you want to punch ppl in the head on TV. Not unless youre conceptionally good at it. The only people complaining about money are mediocre athletes with more mouth than ability
6/26/13 12:00 AM
man meets fate

Porkchop - MMA does pay shitty. It's not like other MMA orgs pay more than the UFC.

If you aren't in it for the glory and you are just in it for money, you are fighting for the wrong reasons.

Lol, take away the major pay in boxing, baseball, football and basketball and see how many people quit.

It's always been about money. Every fighters dream is to be able to fight, be the greatest and make millions so they can live a comfortable life.
6/26/13 12:36 AM
Porkchop

Edited: 06/26/13 12:36 AM
MMA Lives Here - 
Porkchop - MMA does pay shitty. It's not like other MMA orgs pay more than the UFC.

If you aren't in it for the glory and you are just in it for money, you are fighting for the wrong reasons.

Uhhh... wtf are you talking about?

Are pro fighters supposed to be missionaries or charity workers or something? Are there people who are actually this dumb?

The UFC is killing the pig right now and the vast majority of its fighters aren't reaping the benefits. They refuse to unionize; they prefer having this "locker room bonus" setup where they come off looking generous but have the worst pay ratio in US-based pro sports.

Kennedy is courageous to speak out about it. Good for him. Phone Post

You aren't seeing the big picture shithead.

If you want to be a fighter, that's fine. If you are the best in the world, then you should be compensated with big time money.

The MMA business model doesn't work when all the fighters are financially comfortable. Think about it for half a second.

In a perfect world everyone would get paid huge for the work they do but paying MMA fighters what they want to be paid will fuck up the whole system.

For most guys, part of being hungry is being broke.

Fighting isn't like other sports. Most fighters perform best with their backs against the wall.

It's a brutal sport and if you choose to ignore the truth of it then you are blind and that is your fault.
6/26/13 12:40 AM
12SixElbow
631 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kennedy revealed that he was due around $55,000 to show up at UFC 162, with the purse potentially increasing to $70,000 with a win bonus – but that after the expenses of his camp, medicals and fight team, he would only pocket around $20,000, even before taxes. After the interview, Kennedy sent a detailed breakdown of how his fight purse would be divided up: 13% on gym fees, 12% for nutrition, 10% to his manager, 10% to his coach, 8% on his camp lodging,  3% for fight medicals and 3% on equipment. In total, that’s 59% of his fight purse before tax is deducted.

6/26/13 12:41 AM
Porkchop

daba - 
Porkchop - MMA does pay shitty. It's not like other MMA orgs pay more than the UFC.

That's like saying go play in the CFL. The UFC is by far the biggest org but they barely pay more. Phone Post 3.0

They do barely pay more. You are right.

My point is, that if these guys wanted to be supported financially, they could have picked a better job.

MMA orgs don't give a fuck about fighters in that way. The UFC has about as much compassion as you will find but they know that fighters who are over-paid, under-perform.

MMA is a sport where you can work your ass off for months, have one bad night, and your career is in a tail spin. It might be the least stable job out there.

When MMA fighters pass over normal jobs to chase their dream, they accept the financial pressures that come along with that whether they expect to or not.
6/26/13 12:43 AM
12SixElbow
631 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

armbarheelhook -  On average a full bird O-6 colonel roughly makes around $100K/yr. But you usually take about 20yrs to get there or more, which means you are a military lifer.

So in the end, Uncle Sam will be cutting you checks for the rest of your life when you put your full 20 in. Phone Post

Basically an Army Full Colonel (O-6) with 1 year service makes $90,436.08,

and with 45 years service $142,186.08.

I'll bet there are none in either category, so the average is somewhere in the middle.

Maybe around $128,000.

6/26/13 12:45 AM
ChaosOverkill
649 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/26/13 12:49 AM

Here's another individual sport:

Men's Tennis and what the top 100 have earned already this year.

http://legacy.tennis.com/rankings/money_men.aspx

For those on Phones the Top guy is over 5 million and the 100th guy is over 170,000 in 6 months.

How MMA compares to Tennis overall earnings and profit ATP vs UFC I don't know but Tennis players seem to be comfortable and still strive to rise the ranks. But I also don't know what the 300th ranked guy makes either or how many at the bottom cannot live off of Tennis.

6/26/13 12:46 AM
12SixElbow

FloridaStriker - you want money. Become a fucking doctor or get a real profesion. You want to be a fighter? Spartans slept on concrete floors.

This is why boxing doesnt exist anymore. Gave one pussy too much money and attention and found out he was a businessman instead of a boxer. If youre looking to get paid. Go to college like everyone else. You dont get micheal jordan money for deciding you want to punch ppl in the head on TV. Not unless youre conceptionally good at it. The only people complaining about money are mediocre athletes with more mouth than ability

1/10

Too much in your post to laugh at, its hard to know where to start.

Comparing modern day athletes to Ancient Greek Warriors is overdone and ridiculous.

Boxing does exist, and is doing EXTREMELY well.

6/26/13 12:47 AM
12SixElbow

ChaosOverkill - 

For those on Phones the Top guy is over 5 million and the 100th guy is over 170,000 in 6 months.

How MMA compares to Tennis overall earnings and profit ATP vs UFC I don't know but Tennis players seem to be comfortable and still strive to rise the ranks.

Actually a really interesting comparison, vtfu

6/26/13 12:53 AM
ChaosOverkill
649 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/26/13 12:55 AM
12SixElbow - 
ChaosOverkill - 

How MMA compares to Tennis overall earnings and profit ATP vs UFC I don't know but Tennis players seem to be comfortable and still strive to rise the ranks.

Actually a really interesting comparison, vtfu

Thanks, now in saying that, I also looked up Golf but Golf and Tennis are a bit misleading because there's no "minimum events entered" stat for the lower end guys but the top 200 guys in golf or so have already made 35,000 minimum in 6 months this year. Beyond that it drops fast in the last 30 or so guys but probably contains a list of guys who have not been invited to a lot of events, and neither Tennis nor Golf have contracts so the model is different but most of the athletes in both of those sports in a NON-GUARANTEED winnings situation seem to be doing at least 70,000  a year top 200 and above.

6/26/13 12:57 AM
Porkchop

man meets fate - 
Porkchop - MMA does pay shitty. It's not like other MMA orgs pay more than the UFC.

Lol, take away the major pay in boxing, baseball, football and basketball and see how many people quit.

It's always been about money. Every fighters dream is to be able to fight, be the greatest and make millions so they can live a comfortable life.

If you made it so that every player was making less than $2 million per year and the scale went down in the same proportions that it is now..... You bet your ass the league would fall apart. Those guys (imagine no other leagues would pay more than that) who had decent educations would be running for better paying jobs or back to school. A lot of them are in it for the money and same with fighting.

Notice how you mentioned three parts to that dream and what order they came in?

Being able to fight, be the greatest and make millions.

Being able to fight and get the glory for it come first for those who really should be fighters. If you are doing it for money, then you aren't doing it for the love, and then it becomes hard to watch.

Hearing a fighter talk about needing money makes me feel like I'm watching slaves fighting or something. It's an awful thought. It's like they are trapped in this cycle and they want us to know how much it is hurting them and how bad they are living.....

The reality is that in any company you get into, the CEO (champ) makes the vast majority of the money and those below them make much less and they are all relatively close to each other in that regard. This is no different, except guys are taking punches to the head instead of driving a fork-lift or w/e. Would it be nice to have a more balanced pay scale in the working world in general? Fuck yeah it would. But the system would collapse. Same thing here.

Those guys who go out there and fight for the love of it and don't care about the money - those are the guys I love to watch because I know that they are the true fighters.

Having said that, one of the guys who I respected the most in MMA was Shane Carwin because he had a great job that he wouldn't give up for fighting. He knew what was going to give himself and his family the life he wanted and he wanted to be able bodied for that job and his family. That is a responsible man and one that I can really respect.

Guys who fight while their family goes into debt.... That is hard to watch. I'd like those guys to hang em up and get a new career.

But no one cares what I think. And I don't care what anyone else thinks. But everything I say about this, I say with pure honesty.
6/26/13 12:59 AM
ChaosOverkill

UFC is odd because the higher the ranks the less events per year a fighter has performed in yet they earn more than the ones below them who below a certain level enter at least one more fight per year if not two in a lot of cases. The opposite is not true in Golf or Tennis for example.

6/26/13 1:00 AM
Porkchop

ChaosOverkill - 

How MMA compares to Tennis overall earnings and profit ATP vs UFC I don't know but Tennis players seem to be comfortable and still strive to rise the ranks. But I also don't know what the 300th ranked guy makes either or how many at the bottom cannot live off of Tennis.

I would argue that fighters fight best when they are hungry and tennis players play best when they are comfortable.

They may both be individual sports, but try beating up some hungry killer from Brazil and going through a war when you have a sports car in the parking lot and enough money in the bank to live the rest of your life.

It's not comparable in that way and you are ignoring that.
6/26/13 1:07 AM
ChaosOverkill

Porkchop - 
ChaosOverkill - 

I would argue that fighters fight best when they are hungry and tennis players play best when they are comfortable.

They may both be individual sports, but try beating up some hungry killer from Brazil and going through a war when you have a sports car in the parking lot and enough money in the bank to live the rest of your life.

No it's a valid point but there's gotta be a balance where the basic pay for all can let the fighters be full time fighters and not be hindered by time dividing.

6/26/13 1:10 AM
ChaosOverkill

These guys are big boys, there has to be a give and take between comfort and luxury and remaining hungry despite being given a basic living standard to help the sport and the athletes overall, I agree it could get out of hand and some lazier fighters would just be happy getting a living but I think they would be quickly replaced by the plethora of hungry lower level fighters anxious to have that basic level in the UFC as well as the shot to be one of the best.

6/26/13 1:11 AM
Porkchop

Not many people in a forum like this want to admit it, but being an MMA fighter isn't the best job in the world....

There are, in fact, many jobs that are waaaaay better for pay, benefits, pension, not having your body destroyed, not being beaten unconscious... etc....

I love MMA and respect the fighters in it for being bad asses but even if I could compete at that level, I'd opt to go back to school and get prepared for a job that doesn't take so much of my life from me.

That is the trade off for glory. I don't need glory.
6/26/13 1:13 AM
the geek
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/26/13 1:18 AM

I think the salaries are healthy and livable. I think its cost of being a fighter that makes it difficult to survive.

I would love to see a "training salary" for fighters that would allow them to pay for their training camps (not living expenses like rent and car payments, that they would pay for with their purse like we pay with our wage). The benefit of this would hopefully be providing us with more entertaining fights as the fighters would be better prepared, in shape, skilled and healthy.

You would probably need to tier this based on the fighters purse. It wouldn't be fair to pay for a fighters camp who is making millions a fight, so say you're fight salary is less than $16,000 to show you would get your camp subsidized.

Just an idea

6/26/13 1:14 AM
12SixElbow

Porkchop - 
ChaosOverkill - 

You have a solid arguement at first glance, but it holds no water.

If that were true, we wouldn't have guys like AS who makes boatloads and keep fighting.

(Boxing wouldn't have guys like Mayweather, etc...)

6/26/13 1:18 AM
Porkchop

ChaosOverkill - 

These guys are big boys, there has to be a give and take between comfort and luxury and remaining hungry despite being given a basic living standard to help the sport and the athletes overall, I agree it could get out of hand and some lazier fighters would just be happy getting a living but I think they would be quickly replaced by the plethora of hungry lower level fighters anxious to have that basic level in the UFC as well as the shot to be one of the best.

That's a fair point.

The other side of that argument is also that when fighters get more pay, the UFC loses it's power over fighters and that power is what is giving us the best vs the best right now.

I'm confident that MMA will go the way of boxing when fighters start getting paid more. The UFC wont be able to pay more than the competition forever.

I think that is sort of inevitable though because MMA will continue to grow and fighters pay will go up and then it will slowly go the way of boxing.

I totally agree that these guys should not starve or be so broke that they are losing any of their possessions or anything. It'd be nice if every UFC fighter had enough pay to live comfortably even when they couldn't get a fight or were injured. But I think that will happen naturally as the UFC grows more than when fighters lobby the fans to help them leverage a change.

But then again.... I'm sort of spitballing this topic. I'm interested to hear your input (although I'll have to be back tomorrow to discuss further because I'm heading to bed).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.