UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sherdog's Top 10 Upsets

6/28/13 11:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wasa-B
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/11/Sherdogs-Top-10-MMA-Upsets-53453

BJ over Hughes didnt even make an honourable mention. Its the only time in MMA history a lighter fighter has gone up in weight to not just beat but finish the reigning, undisputed #1 fighter and champ on a streak.

This confirms that its the most underated, forgotten upset.
6/28/13 11:56 PM
mose
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

only underrated and forgotten by the maker of that list.

6/29/13 1:22 AM
LastRowCarl
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One time I bought a cup off the sherdog store and the corner melted Phone Post
6/29/13 9:51 AM
ChimpFL
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought a lot of people had thought BJ would win that fight on here. I don't know maybe my memory sucks.
6/29/13 10:03 AM
MrBlume
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most people figured Hughes would dominate BJ. Despite the fact that BJ was an amazing fighter-- BJ had got beaten by Pulver who was Hughes' teammate.

Pulver had made the comment that if he was able 'to take the wind out of BJ's sail' then Hughes was going to sink the ship. Something to that effect.

Great fight!!

6/29/13 10:09 AM
Domingo
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While not quite Serra/GSP-level, I would have put Mo Smith over Coleman as more than just an honorable mention.
That was a massive, massive shock that was #1 for 5-6 years.
6/29/13 10:14 AM
Malvert the Janitor
1046 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ beat the number one lightweight in the world immediately before moving up in weight and beating the number one welterweight in the world.

Pretty sweet. Phone Post 3.0
6/29/13 10:25 AM
mose
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/29/13 10:36 AM
just a quick note from what I found.

betting odds
Hughes was -240
Fedor was -1000
GSP was -1300
Crocop was -450 vs. Gonzaga
Little Nog was -2000 vs sok
Liddell was -230 vs Couture in the first fight
6/29/13 10:35 AM
Malvert the Janitor
1046 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mose - just a quite note from what I found.

betting odds

Hughes was -240
Fedor was -1000
GSP was -1300
Crocop was -450 vs. Gonzaga
Little Nog was -2000 vs sok
Liddell was -230 vs Couture in the first fight
That's quite a quite note... Phone Post 3.0
6/29/13 10:36 AM
mose

typing too fast, thinking too slow. lol.
6/29/13 10:50 AM
IsmokeCrack

Fedors loss to Werdum wasn't that much of an surprise to me. I had considered putting a small bet against Fedor.

Given his new lifestyle, decreased training, loss of motivation, comments in media, I had been expecting him to lose for quite some time.

That's why the AA KO was so epic. I thought the time had come, than KAAPLOW!!! Phone Post 3.0
6/29/13 10:52 AM
RKing85
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember on the boards there was a ton of people who thought BJ was going to beat Hughes.

Upset for sure, but no where close to one of the biggest of all time.
6/29/13 11:13 AM
Devlin
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Lives Here -
IsmokeCrack - Fedors loss to Werdum wasn't that much of an surprise to me. I had considered putting a small bet against Fedor.

Given his new lifestyle, decreased training, loss of motivation, comments in media, I had been expecting him to lose for quite some time.

That's why the AA KO was so epic. I thought the time had come, than KAAPLOW!!! Phone Post 3.0
Bwaaahahaha Phone Post
? fedor was clearly in decline, he'd moved from tactician to brawler, something we see all the time, a grappler who started looking for.ko's.

Taking nothing away from the criminally underrated Werdum who himself is excellent. Phone Post
6/29/13 11:39 AM
Wasa-B
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Domingo - While not quite Serra/GSP-level, I would have put Mo Smith over Coleman as more than just an honorable mention.
That was a massive, massive shock that was #1 for 5-6 years.

I missed that too. Wtf? This was one of the game changers
6/29/13 12:11 PM
Wasa-B

RKing85 - I remember on the boards there was a ton of people who thought BJ was going to beat Hughes.

I dont remember that.

Also, BJ did dominate Gomi the fight before but that was before Gomi was the Fireball Kid and no one knew who he was either. The fight before that, BJ had a draw with Uno (even though he shoulda won 3-2).

Conversely, Hughes was a rampage, beating Trigg, Sherk, Castillo, Newton and Sakurai.

Again, this is the only time in history a fighter has gone up in weight to dethrone a sitting, reigning undisputed champ and one who was also a roll like that. It is easily one of the biggest and it wasnt be close dec. It was a first round sub.
6/29/13 2:43 PM
Pro Ice
1980 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another HUGE upset that never gets mentioned was the unranked Juturo Nakao chocking unconscious the 3x reigning and then current UFC champion Pat Miletich

6/29/13 3:35 PM
RKing85
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

although I guess to be fair, BJ Penn nut huggers pick him to win every fight.
6/29/13 4:03 PM
JerseyShoreTapTeam

Houston Alexander launching Jardine into orbit in 48 seconds only months after he beat Forrest and months before he beat Chuck has to be up there.

Odds for that night:
Jardine -600
Alexander +450

Here's a great list that has the top upsets all time and has the fight odds at the time for each one:
http://www.tapology.com/rankings/all-time-greatest-upsets-in-mma-and-ufc-history
6/29/13 4:08 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Malvert the Janitor - BJ beat the number one lightweight in the world immediately before moving up in weight and beating the number one welterweight in the world.

Gomi wasn't #1 at the time. He was #2, behind B.J. Phone Post
6/29/13 4:56 PM
Samoa
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RKing85 - I remember on the boards there was a ton of people who thought BJ was going to beat Hughes.

Anything like this been done since BJ did it? Phone Post 3.0
7/1/13 1:48 PM
Wasa-B

Samoa - 
RKing85 - I remember on the boards there was a ton of people who thought BJ was going to beat Hughes.

7/1/13 2:13 PM
mose

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - 
Malvert the Janitor - BJ beat the number one lightweight in the world immediately before moving up in weight and beating the number one welterweight in the world.

Gomi was coming off his loss to Hansen, and Shaolin Ribeiro was ranked higher than him. Some even had Shaolin above Penn at the time, with Ribeiro being undefeated and BJ having the Pulver loss and Uno draw.

7/1/13 5:06 PM
bispingpokedmybrowneye
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mose -
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - 

Gomi was coming off his loss to Hansen, and Shaolin Ribeiro was ranked higher than him. Some even had Shaolin above Penn at the time, with Ribeiro being undefeated and BJ having the Pulver loss and Uno draw.

Yep. Shaolin was everyones favorite 1a/1b pick. Phone Post
7/2/13 1:55 PM
Wasa-B

Wasa-B - 
Samoa - 

7/2/13 2:03 PM
Jason
323 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Site Admin
Sherdog = did not read Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.