UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> When do you give someone a blue belt?

7/11/13 12:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SportScience
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/04/14 1:13 AM

I feel like I am a blue belt. I have won a few competitions at white belt beating everyone in my division, I have been training BJJ for 2 years now and I train twice a day.<br /><br />The point of this rant is how does your club do it? Time+Performance+Attitude=Blue Belt in my books.

/EDIT/ UPDATE:

So I just to clarify, I am still a white belt.

We have no blue belts at our club and our instructors have never given a blue belt out. There is now a bottle neck at the top of our club because there are a handful of people better than me who are also 4 stripe white belts.

Its gotten to this really weird point, I got another gold medal at a competition two weeks back. One of my team mates got two gold medals at that comp. He won his division and the open weight division beating everyone without a question of doubt.

He was snubbed at the grading we had last week and so was I. I don't want to leave my club and yeah I really have no idea what to do. I checked how many classes I have done and its 266 at this club and I came to this club with three stripes on my belt and a years experience.

A lot of us are all talking shit like a bunch of high school girls but no one says anything to the coaches because obviously we have heaps of respect for them.

I obviously can't do anything about it but yeah this is just an update.
7/11/13 12:29 PM
Christophr

You need to man up and confront your instructor about this. No-one who beats every white belt in his division should be denied their blue belt.

7/11/13 12:35 PM
The Wizzle
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grab it and take it!
7/11/13 1:47 PM
ninja316
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're a white belt for a reason in ur instructors eyes. If you have to ask why, then you aren't there yet. I was like that with my purple belt. I was beating blues easily and then beating purples as well. My view as an instructor is if you can compete and beat the rank above you, that's when you deserve a promotion. To be honest you may just be missing a small aspect of your game that your instructor is looking for. Sometimes it's time, competition, or how you are in class. I know where you're at though. You feel like its time to move up, and you're cranky about it. So just prove you're point on the mat. Don't sit and dwell on it. A belt only covers a few inches over your ass. It doesn't really tell how good you are. Phone Post 3.0
7/11/13 1:54 PM
BEEF & CHEESE

Just show up wearing a blue belt to class.
7/11/13 1:54 PM
MTH
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would have a private discussion with your instructor. 

However, I'd be clear that it's not about "WHERE'S MY BLUE BELT, DAMMIT!!"  It's about, "I want to become a blue belt.  As my coach, what do you feel I need to do or have to get there?"

No instructor should be so insecure that they cannot answer questions like that. 

Frankly, I think it's pretty amazing that BJJ instructors as a general matter don't have short monthly chats with each long-term student to talk about your development.  In any other sport, that kind of discussion is common.  In BJJ, it's like it's supposed to be some sort of secret--the instructor just has a mystical standard in his head and one day, unbeknownest to you, you'll meet it. 

7/11/13 2:30 PM
Rival School

BEEF & CHEESE - Just show up wearing a blue belt to class.
This Phone Post 3.0
7/11/13 2:45 PM
markus
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i don't know you or where you train. but you might be a spaz with a win at all cost mentality. every spar is the mundials sort of thing. maybe you hurt your training partners as well.

blue belt technical requirements are kind of universal.

its not enough to have been shown the move once, and now you know the move. you have to demonstrate the move with accuracy and efficiency, in a light spar situation.

escape mount
oupa
elbow escape

escape side
oupa
elbow escape
go to knees

pass guard
2 pass knees
2 pass standing

guard
1 choke
2 armbars
2 sweeps knees
2 sweeps standing
take the back

side control
2 chokes
2 armbars
how to mount

mount
2 chokes
2 armbars
take the back

escape the back

back mount
2 chokes
1 armbar

standing
how to clinch
2 throws

7/11/13 2:56 PM
JRockwell
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Choke out one of the blue belts at your school. Take his belt. Isn't that how everyone advances? Phone Post 3.0
7/11/13 3:16 PM
falsecrack
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JRockwell - Choke out one of the blue belts at your school. Take his belt. Isn't that how everyone advances? Phone Post 3.0

As a matter of strategy, try to pick off one of the older (age wise) blue belts who you have a significant size and strength advantage over - I picked mine off a 50 yr old woman who had just finished a couple of competitive rolls.  After choking her unconscious, be sure to stand up with your new belt held over your head shouting "There can be only one!"

7/11/13 3:38 PM
7 Dust

Talk to your instructor and see what is lacking in his eyes. If he saids nothing. You have been sandbagged.
7/11/13 4:04 PM
odennis
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6 posts!

7/11/13 4:37 PM
Rival School

JRockwell - Choke out one of the blue belts at your school. Take his belt. Isn't that how everyone advances? Phone Post 3.0
That's how it is here. I have my brown, purple and a bunch of blues in my bag I just wear what looks best with my gi.

At our gym when you win you just take their belt and put it In your bag. Then they have to buy a new belt from the front desk. Gets expensive but that's what they get for being losers Phone Post 3.0
7/11/13 5:17 PM
Muffinho
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this thread for real?
7/11/13 5:28 PM
faixa branca

I hate threads like this. Phone Post 3.0
7/11/13 5:52 PM
biggator
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how many days a weekare you training and 2 a days?

i find the closer you get to the belt the less you care about getting it. sure its nice to get a gold star but you are there for the knowledge not prizes
7/11/13 5:57 PM
pursuitofhappiness

Everyone feels they should be a higher a rank. The same as everyone feels they should be paid more. It's extremely rare for someone to think they they deserve a 2 stripe blue instead of a 4 stripe blue, or should be paid 12$/hr instead of 16$/hr
7/11/13 6:14 PM
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Might get flamed here but whatever. Just my 2 cents:

Why do people who train in the martial arts nowadays feel like there's a sense of entitlement that if they train hard, etc, they should be rewarded with something tangible?

Back in the old times, there were no belts. Even in Kenjutsu or Traditional Jujutsu. Whatever.
7/11/13 6:18 PM
JSho
340 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When they're too good to be a white belt but not good enough to be a purple belt. Phone Post 3.0
7/11/13 6:20 PM
JSho
340 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Siciliano - Might get flamed here but whatever. Just my 2 cents:

Why do people who train in the martial arts nowadays feel like there's a sense of entitlement that if they train hard, etc, they should be rewarded with something tangible?

Back in the old times, there were no belts. Even in Kenjutsu or Traditional Jujutsu. Whatever.
True, even old school judo you were either a Dan grade or not, no kyu grades. BJJ originally only had two colored belts (both shades of blue. Phone Post 3.0
7/11/13 6:43 PM
SportScience

Thanks for the advice, I will have to talk to my Instructor because at the grading last night I was obviously shocked that I did not get any recognition so I can not avoid talking to him about it.

I don't mind being a white belt, but I am not a bully and I will not compete against people who are brand new to the sport and beat on them. I know I can compete with the blue belts from other clubs.

The belt system is great when it is awarded fairly and planned intelligently.
7/11/13 7:02 PM
rexkwondo79
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL, you're still a white belt plain and simple. I would not ask your instructor about your rank but it's okay to ask on what you need to work on.

If he did not promote you to blue, you probably have some defensive holes that you are not aware of and that may not necessarily always come out during rolls. Your rolls with other blue belts aren't wins/losses, it's training, it's risk taking time.

Everyone's learning is such a large spectrum, I know guys who train twice a day and it took them 2,5 years to blue belt. Then there is the guy who trained once, maybe twice a week and watched many black belt matches to get to purple belt in 2,5 years from white belt. Everyone's journey is so different, if you trust your coach/instructor, respect his judgement of you.

7/11/13 7:15 PM
Penguin of Death
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You should have taken your belt off in disgust and thrown it at him after the grading.

He mugged you off in front of everyone bro, you just going to take it? Phone Post
7/11/13 7:32 PM
angrypirate
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

white belt is the best belt imo. no expectations. besides, after you get your blue belt you turn into cynical asshole. look at these posts man!
7/11/13 7:51 PM
Rubensio
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ok i'll respond to the op seriously. Just wait for it. That's all there is to it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.