UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> When do you give someone a blue belt?

7/11/13 8:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ddk
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you can beat mike tyson in a vale tudo match, you are a blue belt.
7/11/13 8:32 PM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

falsecrack - 
JRockwell - Choke out one of the blue belts at your school. Take his belt. Isn't that how everyone advances? Phone Post 3.0

As a matter of strategy, try to pick off one of the older (age wise) blue belts who you have a significant size and strength advantage over - I picked mine off a 50 yr old woman who had just finished a couple of competitive rolls.  After choking her unconscious, be sure to stand up with your new belt held over your head shouting "There can be only one!"

lol VTFU
7/11/13 8:36 PM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have been a white belt for almost 10 years...

personally i dont know what im doing wrong? im actually thinking i should start training more than once a month??

i cant see any other way :/
7/11/13 8:36 PM
Master Bater

i have been a white belt for almost 10 years...

personally i dont know what im doing wrong? im actually thinking i should start training more than once a month??

i cant see any other way :/
7/11/13 8:44 PM
allthingsbjj phil
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only a whitebelt cares about a bluebelt. 

7/11/13 9:10 PM
AokiPants
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

allthingsbjj phil -

Only a whitebelt cares about a bluebelt. 

I know you meant to make this sound smart, but it just doesn't lol Phone Post 3.0
7/11/13 10:21 PM
jasonhightower
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

falsecrack - 
JRockwell - Choke out one of the blue belts at your school. Take his belt. Isn't that how everyone advances? Phone Post 3.0

As a matter of strategy, try to pick off one of the older (age wise) blue belts who you have a significant size and strength advantage over - I picked mine off a 50 yr old woman who had just finished a couple of competitive rolls.  After choking her unconscious, be sure to stand up with your new belt held over your head shouting "There can be only one!"

LMAO! Brilliant...

7/11/13 10:48 PM
GrahamJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rexkwondo79 - LOL, you're still a white belt plain and simple. I would not ask your instructor about your rank but it's okay to ask on what you need to work on.

If he did not promote you to blue, you probably have some defensive holes that you are not aware of and that may not necessarily always come out during rolls. Your rolls with other blue belts aren't wins/losses, it's training, it's risk taking time.

Everyone's learning is such a large spectrum, I know guys who train twice a day and it took them 2,5 years to blue belt. Then there is the guy who trained once, maybe twice a week and watched many black belt matches to get to purple belt in 2,5 years from white belt. Everyone's journey is so different, if you trust your coach/instructor, respect his judgement of you.

I know what you're saying...but I think it unfairly portrays all BJJ instructors as competent, fair, attentive, decent individuals.
7/11/13 11:29 PM
kancho assassin
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you're a 2nd degree black belt. Phone Post
7/11/13 11:45 PM
MTH
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's certainly possible the OP is off base here.

But Saulo Ribeiro's book Jiu-Jitsu University also says you should know before your promotion that you're ready. What the OP is saying could be legitimate.

I definitely don't agree that everybody thinks they're ready before they really are because they crave more stripes/belts like they do money. BJJ has a built-in detector when you're "over-ranked," and it sucks to be caught in. I took five years off just a few weeks after I got my blue belt. When I went back in terrible shape to a new school almost a year ago, it sucked. It was almost embarrassing to have the belt.

I'll be happy when I hit purple, but I sure as sh*t don't want it early so I can get stomped on by any reasonable my good blue belt.

The OP just needs to have a side conversation with the instructor about the top things the instructor thinks the OP should work on to further develop as a BJJ practitioner. Let the instructor know that he wants to progress not just in rank but in the game as a whole, and that he wants the instructor's input on what he should be focusing on most. Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 12:08 AM
JamesParades
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AJL19 - It can be taboo to talk about rank with your instructor, but you can ask what he thinks you need to work on. That being said, often instructors promote groups of students together. You may he ready, but others may not, so he might be waiting for them to be ready to promote everyone together. Phone Post 3.0
Royce use to say it was a two year "penalty" for asking about promotion. Be crafty how you phrase things and hope he doesn't post here. Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 12:38 AM
RockTheVote
495 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think you're ready for it. Phone Post
7/12/13 1:19 AM
AokiPants

IMO jump on an RNC when your instructor has his back turned and is showing a technique. If you put him out, take his belt and his place as instructor of the academy. If he escapes, you aren't ready just yet. Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 2:09 AM
SportScience

MTH - It's certainly possible the OP is off base here.

But Saulo Ribeiro's book Jiu-Jitsu University also says you should know before your promotion that you're ready. What the OP is saying could be legitimate.

I definitely don't agree that everybody thinks they're ready before they really are because they crave more stripes/belts like they do money. BJJ has a built-in detector when you're "over-ranked," and it sucks to be caught in. I took five years off just a few weeks after I got my blue belt. When I went back in terrible shape to a new school almost a year ago, it sucked. It was almost embarrassing to have the belt.

I'll be happy when I hit purple, but I sure as sh*t don't want it early so I can get stomped on by any reasonable my good blue belt.

The OP just needs to have a side conversation with the instructor about the top things the instructor thinks the OP should work on to further develop as a BJJ practitioner. Let the instructor know that he wants to progress not just in rank but in the game as a whole, and that he wants the instructor's input on what he should be focusing on most. Phone Post 3.0

Thank you for the advice.
7/12/13 5:49 AM
Poncey
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you can recite the entire screenplay of Prayer For The Rollerboys. Phone Post 3.0
7/12/13 1:26 PM
John Nic

If a muscular 20 something white belt ankle locks a 45 year old black belt in his first month, should he get a promotion?

More than likely your game still needs a ton of work. Phone Post
7/12/13 2:43 PM
Angelo Popofski
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WpgWarrior - When the cheque clears Phone Post 3.0
Lol. I clicked on this thread to post this! Nicely done. Phone Post 3.0
7/17/13 1:33 PM
theUlsterman

falsecrack - 

One of the best posts ever on the Atama forum. Mad props for the Highlander reference.
7/17/13 2:20 PM
Soul Gravy

Poncey - When you can recite the entire screenplay of Prayer For The Rollerboys. Phone Post 3.0

Voted up for ...Rollerboys reference. Bravo, sir.
7/17/13 3:18 PM
nogidavid
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Penguin of Death -  You should have taken your belt off in disgust and thrown it at him after the grading.

He mugged you off in front of everyone bro, you just going to take it? Phone Post

i know someone who did that to Lagarto haha
7/17/13 5:08 PM
robhustle
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SportScience - I feel like I am a blue belt. I have won a few competitions at white belt beating everyone in my division, I have been training BJJ for 2 years now and I train twice a day.<br /><br />The point of this rant is how does your club do it? Time+Performance+Attitude=Blue Belt in my books.

Maybe he doesn't like promoting cocky white belts with a sense of entitlement
7/17/13 6:00 PM
Penguin of Death
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nogidavid -
Penguin of Death -  You should have taken your belt off in disgust and thrown it at him after the grading.

He mugged you off in front of everyone bro, you just going to take it? Phone Post

Lol I remember the old thread on EFN. Phone Post
7/17/13 6:30 PM
nogidavid
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Penguin of Death - 
nogidavid -

Lol I remember the old thread on EFN. Phone Post

yeh, proper madness haha
7/18/13 12:50 AM
Eazy08
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BEEF & CHEESE - Just show up wearing a blue belt to class.

lol this
7/18/13 9:51 AM
Calibur1980
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm starting to feel that belts don't have near as much to do with ability as it does a sense of loyalty.

OP, your instructor doesn't trust you. Plain and simple. As soon as he feels you're dedicated to him (his teaching method, school, students, etc) you'll be rewarded.

Protip: demanding a belt will make him trust you less. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.