UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Should Machida take Jones rematch or drop to MW?

7/13/13 2:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Assuming the Weidman/Anderson rematch will not be made, should Machida finally make his drop to MW now (and would/should he be given a MW title fight right away) or should he take the Jones rematch?

I think he may be able to do a bit better with Jones but Jones is only better and more experienced now too. Jones will likely end up beating (even finishing?) Machida again. Does that hurt his chances at MW if he drops?
7/13/13 2:50 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People shouldn't just assume that because Lyoto is a small LHW that he'd be better at 85. Phone Post 3.0
7/13/13 2:52 PM
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - People shouldn't just assume that because Lyoto is a small LHW that he'd be better at 85. Phone Post 3.0

Yes, that is true. However, his style is still his style and i think it would still be hard for most MWs to figure out. Machida does not just rely on speed but timing and strategy, those things will carry on to MW but yes, we wont know until it happens.

I just dont think he can beat Jones and other than Vitor, i think Machida is one of the best matchups for Weidman.
7/13/13 3:25 PM
TOM666
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great at either weight but if I were him I'd take it to 185.
7/13/13 3:25 PM
TOM666

Lyoto-Belfort
7/13/13 3:31 PM
gokudamus stole my name iv

At some point these guys have to admit they have no chance against Jones so if they want a title they'd better try  a different division.

7/13/13 3:36 PM
AndersonSilvasMoney
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of all the people Jones has fought, I always thought Machida could give it another shot. That said, he basically got destroyed in the second. I'd be interested to see him give it a go at 185. Phone Post
7/13/13 3:46 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - People shouldn't just assume that because Lyoto is a small LHW that he'd be better at 85. Phone Post 3.0
I think he'd be the same, the champ just wouldn't be gigantic compared to him (although I think Weidman is still quite a bit bigger). If I were Machida I'd stay at 205 and wait to see what happens with Anderson and try to get another crack at Jones. Then drop if he loses to Jones again and start over at 185. Phone Post
7/13/13 5:03 PM
Cory Davis
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would love to see Machida move down to 185 and Anderson move up to 205. Phone Post 3.0
7/13/13 5:12 PM
Jons Forsberg

wait for Weidman Anderson rematch and drop if Anderson loses.
7/13/13 5:23 PM
HomicEYEd
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Machida vs Tex.Winner gets Jones vs Gus. Phone Post
7/14/13 7:10 PM
Rickson's Aura

When Vitor trained with Machida, Machida would get the better of him in sparring. Of course this is pre-TRT Vitor. Machida also was difficult for Shogun when they trained together but in their fights Shogun found a weakness to exploit. I still think Machida could beat Shogun if they were to fight again despite being caught in the 2nd fight.
7/14/13 11:28 PM
Wasa-B

Jons Forsberg - wait for Weidman Anderson rematch and drop if Anderson loses.

Yeah, this was made before the rematch was announced. Machida may actually be a better stylistic matchup for Weidman than Andy.
7/15/13 12:50 AM
LyotoBundy
315 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - People shouldn't just assume that because Lyoto is a small LHW that he'd be better at 85. Phone Post 3.0
I think he'd be the same, the champ just wouldn't be gigantic compared to him (although I think Weidman is still quite a bit bigger). If I were Machida I'd stay at 205 and wait to see what happens with Anderson and try to get another crack at Jones. Then drop if he loses to Jones again and start over at 185. Phone Post
Machida is the same size as Chris Phone Post
7/15/13 1:01 AM
Ip Man 81

Lyoto has a much better chance of winning and holding on to a belt at 185 than at 205. Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 1:02 AM
Ip Man 81

HomicEYEd - Machida vs Tex.Winner gets Jones vs Gus. Phone Post
Won't happen Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 1:06 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LyotoBundy -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
Machida is the same size as Chris Phone Post
I don't think so. Machida doesn't cut anything and comes in at 202-205, Weidman probably starts his cut during camp at at least 215. I think they were sitting next to each other during the Jones vs Sonnen ppv and Weidman was a lot thicker.

Weidman makes weight so I have no problem with it Phone Post
7/15/13 1:23 AM
B_Goetz

From a business standpoint it would be smart to have a title fight at 205, then move down if he loses. If he can't beat either champ he at least gets two main event PPV paydays.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.