UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC1 fighters reflect on the event 20 years later

7/22/13 5:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MoomBah
394 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The owners and all 8 fighters give a behind the scenes look at UFC1.

[quote]

Who would win a fight: Batman or Superman? Bruce Lee or Mike Tyson? These are the kind of hypothetical head-to-heads that trigger spirited debates on school buses and in taverns—and seldom get settled. But 20 years ago a trio of calculating entrepreneurs sought some actual answers. Could a taekwondo expert beat up a karate master? Could a wrestler best a professional boxer? Ad executive Art Davie, jujitsu crusader Rorion Gracie and concert promoter Bob Meyrowitz came up with the idea of pitting "eight of the deadliest fighters in the world" against each other in a no-holds-barred, style-versus-style, single-elimination tournament. For a stage, they brainstormed with Hollywood director John Milius (Conan the Barbarian) and settled on a wire cage (the alligator-stocked moat was scrapped), and on the snowy evening of Nov. 12, 1993, the first Ultimate Fighting Championship went off at McNichols Arena in Denver. Promising no rules, no weight classes and no time limits, the night's emcee assured the half-filled house—as well as the 80,000 viewers at home who had forked over $14.95 apiece—that "anything can happen, and probably will." Even death!

All eight participants survived, leaving them—along with the UFC's creators—to tell, two decades later, how those founding questions spawned an entirely new, multibillion-dollar sport.[/quote]

Read full article here:

7/22/13 5:31 PM
MoomBah
394 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great read. Id post the whole thing but its 8 pages long.

7/22/13 5:34 PM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ART JIMMERSON (BOXER, PARTICIPANT): They wanted me so bad. They offered me $10,000 at first; then they said, "You're in the top 10 in the world, and we need someone legitimate—we'll double it." My manager and I were like, This will be easy money.

JIMMERSON: I was thinking, If I'm knocking out guys in the gym with 16-ounce gloves, what am I going to do to someone with my bare fists? I felt sorry for these guys. Who could beat me?

lol

7/22/13 5:36 PM
Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This sounds really interesting, thanks OP! Phone Post 3.0
7/22/13 5:38 PM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SHAMROCK: I don't even remember tapping [out in that fight]. I remember trying to pull Royce's arm off, and there was no arm there. It was like this rope around my neck. I just know that I couldn't breathe.

SHAMROCK: The referee asked, "Did you tap?" Obviously I had, and I said, "Yes, I tapped." But I remember sitting there for a moment, thinking, He just cheated. They took away my shoes; they took away my kneepads; they took away the things that made me who I was as a fighter. But they let him wear a gi? That's how fast it went through my mind. It wasn't that I had gotten choked. It wasn't that he'd won the fight. It was like, Wait a minute; there's something unfair about this. I told myself that will never happen again.

MoomBah

Spolier Alert:

GRACIE: I was starving. There was no room service at the hotel and they had closed down the kitchen, so I put on some sweatpants, a sweatshirt and a snow jacket. I walked down the street to a 7-Eleven to buy some apple juice and Ritz crackers, which I put inside my jacket. When I got back to the hotel, I took the hood off and, because it had started to snow, it looked like I was sweating. Kevin [Rosier] was there with his manager, who had a cigar in one hand and a drink in the other, and they asked, "Where did you go?" I didn't even flinch: "I had to go for a run." As I was walking away Kevin and his coach were like, "No wonder he's the champ; look at him! The guy just fought three fights in one night and then goes for a run. Talk about Superman!" They didn't see the stuff inside my jacket.

12SixElbow

GRACIE: By the time of the finals [against Gordeau] I was already fed up. There were two rules: You're not allowed to eye-gouge and you're not allowed to bite. But as soon as I took Gordeau down, he bit my ear. I pulled him off, and I whispered in his ear, "You bit me."

GORDEAU: Yes, I bit him.

GORDEAU: I saw Royce two months ago in the Netherlands. It was the first time since UFC 1 that we'd seen each other. And the first thing he said to me was, "Why did you bite my ear?" I took him over to a big poster for the event that's hanging in my dojo and said, "Look there, Royce. It says, 'No rules.' "

7/22/13 5:49 PM
RickStorm
1740 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin

sub a dub dub for later

I love these kind of articles

Thanks for posting MoomBahYa 

7/22/13 5:51 PM
JDV
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pretty cool
7/22/13 5:52 PM
herwil10
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome article. Thanks for the link.
7/22/13 6:00 PM
Winston Wolf
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

read of the year
7/22/13 6:05 PM
LSDave
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great read, thanks.
7/22/13 6:06 PM
BJ Penn Forever
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks for sharing.
7/22/13 6:29 PM
ima zombie
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed, this is Awesome VU op Phone Post 3.0
7/22/13 6:32 PM
RJJH
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fuck-to-the-yeah!

7/22/13 6:59 PM
tomp6581
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks. Voted up Phone Post 3.0
7/22/13 7:17 PM
ajjr0ller
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TEILA TULI (SUMO WRESTLER, PARTICIPANT): I told them, If you give me the money for my funeral, I'll come—I ain't sticking my mom with the funeral bill. As soon as I arrived in Denver, I gotta have that money or else I'm turning back to Hawaii. They gave me like $8,000. Phone Post
7/22/13 7:25 PM
teamquestnorth
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love hearing about the early days. Wish there was more books and documenteries out there. I must have read clyde gentrys book 20 times. Phone Post
7/22/13 7:25 PM
Kidd597
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome read,,,time to rewatch ufc 1 now that I know some of the behind the scenes.... Phone Post 3.0
7/22/13 7:46 PM
yabadaba
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

7/22/13 7:59 PM
badpvtdan
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fantastic read. Thank you. Phone Post 3.0
7/22/13 8:20 PM
My jimmy got bam bamm-ed
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subd Phone Post
7/22/13 10:32 PM
MoomBah

ttt Get on it UG News.

7/22/13 10:40 PM
Ramy Daoud
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Art Jimmerson made more in UFC 1 than some prelim fighters make today Phone Post 3.0
7/22/13 10:49 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vtfu OP Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.