UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> No gi grading

8/11/13 6:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
acamp76144
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do/can Gracie Barra schools award belts based upon no gi?

Is it up to the organisation or the individual instructor? Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 6:56 PM
FlyingTriangle
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 7:01 PM
BTTMike
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As in only training nogi? I would think not. Phone Post
8/11/13 7:42 PM
Hunter V
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it would be based on the instructor only. And no, GB is not giving out no gi rank.
8/11/13 8:09 PM
checkuroil
273 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gb has a note on their grading policy that guys have to train gi Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 1:44 PM
joshjitsu

I think everyone should train gi. That said, I think we are getting to the point wear a 5 stage grading system like the bjj belt system would be a great idea for NoGi. I like how the IBJJF separates NoGi divisions by belt. Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 3:08 PM
Tomato Can
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a purple belt for life because I don't train in the gi anymore. I've made my peace with it.
8/12/13 3:20 PM
The Principal
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joshjitsu - I think everyone should train gi. That said, I think we are getting to the point wear a 5 stage grading system like the bjj belt system would be a great idea for NoGi. I like how the IBJJF separates NoGi divisions by belt. Phone Post 3.0
Agreed. Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 3:35 PM
Tomato Can
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea the fact that the IBJJF does no-gi tournaments based on belt rank but many schools do not do no-gi belt promotion is a bit of a problematic disparity.
8/12/13 3:40 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TC, I think you said you train at Marcelos, do you ever get pressured to train in the gi? Or promotion talk every brought up? Just curious
8/12/13 4:02 PM
Tomato Can

Yea I do train there. No I don't feel any pressure to train in the gi, but I did ask Marcelo specifically about promotions and he said they won't promote people who don't do gi at all.
8/12/13 4:14 PM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We will promote to blue with someone going no gi only, but not past that.
8/12/13 5:48 PM
joshjitsu

At my school I don't tell people what training sessions will be gi and which will be NoGi. This stops people from only doing one or the other but I will say that the majority are Gi. So we don't really have this issue. Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 6:00 PM
Tomato Can

That seems completely ridiculous. How do they know what equipment to bring?
8/12/13 6:25 PM
Sgt. Slaphead
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No-gi is a part of fundamental jiujitsu skill, to not do it is a disservice to the student. To only do no-gi is a disservice to the art/ No-gi only, is not BJJ....it can be a of jiujitsu, but IMHO it is not BJJ. Same as there is no such thing a no-gi judo. JMHO.

For several years after I made blue belt (w/gi) I didn't care, I was only really interested in learning fighting skill using jiujitsu as a foundation on which I could add other skills/techniques. Then I figured out that the gi offered the same benefits and much broader useful skill, and made training interesting and enjoyable again.
8/12/13 11:15 PM
joshjitsu

Tomato Can - That seems completely ridiculous. How do they know what equipment to bring?
Bring your gym bag, put a gi in it, along with a pair of shorts and rash guard. It actually works quite well. Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 11:50 PM
Ridgeback
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you love training no-gi and you bring home medals in the sport who cares about a belt anyway.  While there is a lot of talk about the art of bjj the truth is most bjj training is geared for competition in sport bjj or submission grappling.  Judo guys don't train in singlets and Greco Roman guys don't train in gis.  

8/13/13 12:34 AM
Subzero90

Sgt. Slaphead - No-gi is a part of fundamental jiujitsu skill, to not do it is a disservice to the student. To only do no-gi is a disservice to the art/ No-gi only, is not BJJ....it can be a of jiujitsu, but IMHO it is not BJJ. Same as there is no such thing a no-gi judo. JMHO.

For several years after I made blue belt (w/gi) I didn't care, I was only really interested in learning fighting skill using jiujitsu as a foundation on which I could add other skills/techniques. Then I figured out that the gi offered the same benefits and much broader useful skill, and made training interesting and enjoyable again.

Honestly the gi offers no benefit to a persons nogi game, other than lacklustre over hooks and under hooks.  If a person spent 100% of their time doing nogi they'll inevitably have a better nogi game than if they split time.  They are different sports.

8/13/13 8:14 AM
joshjitsu

Subzero90 -
Sgt. Slaphead - No-gi is a part of fundamental jiujitsu skill, to not do it is a disservice to the student. To only do no-gi is a disservice to the art/ No-gi only, is not BJJ....it can be a of jiujitsu, but IMHO it is not BJJ. Same as there is no such thing a no-gi judo. JMHO.

Honestly the gi offers no benefit to a persons nogi game, other than lacklustre over hooks and under hooks.  If a person spent 100% of their time doing nogi they'll inevitably have a better nogi game than if they split time.  They are different sports.

You are entitled to you opinion, although it would be impossible for me to disagree with you anymore than I do. Gi training is a great tool for your NoGi game, just as NoGi helps your gi game. Phone Post 3.0
8/13/13 8:34 AM
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subzero90 - 

how many yrs will it take edddie to prove that point?
8/13/13 10:08 AM
Tomato Can

joshjitsu - 
Tomato Can - That seems completely ridiculous. How do they know what equipment to bring?
Bring your gym bag, put a gi in it, along with a pair of shorts and rash guard. It actually works quite well. Phone Post 3.0

No offense but that's pretty nutty and I would not train at your school specifically for that reason.
8/13/13 2:53 PM
tmedine
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's really not that difficult to bring both actually most of us probably have a spare gi in the car at all times anyways. In picking a BJJ school there are far more important things to consider than attire. Phone Post 3.0
8/13/13 3:13 PM
green_machine
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A lot of people that live in cities don't own a vehicle or don't drive it to class. I'd find it annoying to haul my gi and belt with me and not use them. And then have to put my drenched no-gi gear into my bag with a clean gi then go home and wash them all. Phone Post 3.0
8/13/13 3:14 PM
Tomato Can

For me being able to avoid lugging a gi to work was a nice perk of going 100% no-gi.

In general though I would not like having zero control of my own training. I do BJJ recreationally and if I prefer mostly no-gi I want to be able to plan my week around which days are no-gi days, not have to randomly guess at it.
8/13/13 3:32 PM
joshjitsu

Tomato Can - 
joshjitsu - 

No offense but that's pretty nutty and I would not train at your school specifically for that reason.

Not everyone is going to fit everywhere. I may lose you but I have a ton of people who would otherwise not be training in a gi doing it (and vice versa), and I feel like I am producing some really good well rounded Gi/NoGi grapplers. Also I would like to note that my student retention rate is really good.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.