UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> When Chael hip tossed shogun...

8/19/13 1:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
caelrad
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At 3:40 in the round... Seems like there is a lot of timing, technique, and some strength involved.
Can anyone chime in and let us know if that was as impressive as it looked? Phone Post 3.0
8/19/13 1:16 AM
TheGoldenRule
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Although I'm not as good as some at articulating some things, I do know it took everything you assumed and more. Impressive doesn't begin to describe that toss. Phone Post
8/19/13 1:22 AM
DontBeScaredGomi
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was absolutely a thing of beauty Phone Post 3.0
8/19/13 1:24 AM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Not sure, but I don't think it was a hip toss. More like a lateral drop. Phone Post
8/19/13 1:32 AM
caelrad

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - Not sure, but I don't think it was a hip toss. More like a lateral drop. Phone Post
Could be- I don't know all the names to moves (guess we could ask Dan the wolverine).
Here is what I do know- it looked like Chael was going to be taken down and then he chucked rua to his back! Phone Post 3.0
8/19/13 1:33 AM
Oontyex

In for gif Phone Post 3.0
8/19/13 1:36 AM
sekundarburnes

wasn't a hip toss, some guy tried to teach it to me last week and i pinched my ribs and pelvis together with my partner landing on top of me. i gather there's some skill involved in that technique
8/19/13 1:37 AM
UGCTT_Messiah
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lat drop Phone Post 3.0
8/19/13 1:43 AM
hercules_mma_kosark
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sekundarburnes - wasn't a hip toss, some guy tried to teach it to me last week and i pinched my ribs and pelvis together with my partner landing on top of me. i gather there's some skill involved in that technique
Ouch Phone Post
8/19/13 1:49 AM
whoabro

Thats a really hard technique... All about perfect timing. I think joe stevenson hit a really nice one years ago too?? Phone Post 3.0
8/19/13 1:54 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
545 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good balance. Used Shogun's momentum against him Phone Post
8/19/13 1:57 AM
TheGreatGodMARS
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oontyex - In for gif Phone Post 3.0

8/19/13 1:57 AM
Kostakio
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lateral drop. Weidman loves that technique. Phone Post 3.0
8/19/13 1:58 AM
Ian King
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A throw is 75% off-balancing your opponent, 20% fitting in, and 5% strength. According to Kano at least. Phone Post
8/19/13 1:59 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
545 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alcantara's lateral drop was awesome too Phone Post
8/19/13 2:00 AM
RattleCaT
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

: Phone Post 3.0
8/19/13 2:00 AM
UGCTT_sakurabas ear
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caelrad -
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - Not sure, but I don't think it was a hip toss. More like a lateral drop. Phone Post
Could be- I don't know all the names to moves (guess we could ask Dan the wolverine).
Here is what I do know- it looked like Chael was going to be taken down and then he chucked rua to his back! Phone Post 3.0
We all know that we should just ask DanTheITaughtThatAndCallItThisMan and he'll let us know.

Paging Dan TheIHopeYouFinallyGotSomeSleepMan Phone Post
8/19/13 2:01 AM
Letibleu
1664 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I saw that I realized Shogun had his hands full and the stuff Sonnen went through in camp wasn't going to get in his way.
8/19/13 2:02 AM
thebearbohland
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From what I saw it was just an Arm Trap Lateral lol one of my favorite moves in Greco/freestyle tourneys lol Phone Post 3.0
8/19/13 2:04 AM
sekundarburnes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOTBez40-GU

if a blue would be so kind, this is ivan ivanov's lateral drop demonstrated over and over again
8/19/13 2:06 AM
Brian Rule
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheGreatGodMARS - 
Oontyex - In for gif Phone Post 3.0

8/19/13 2:16 AM
rbl
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was a great throw, but you're not going to get any UFC level fighter on their back without technique, timing and strength.

8/19/13 2:18 AM
grapple420
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lat drop is correct. Being a master of this move and also being a heavyweight, my old teammates dubbed it the 'Fat Drop.'

Its actually a move that is all about timing and opponents pressure. I used to just bait my opponents by giving them a deep underhook. 9 times out of 10, they would think they had an advantage so they would bullrush and end up flying thru the air.

Ive seen it called a hip toss here and there though, not sure why. When I think 'hip toss' I think of 1980's pro wrasslin, throw em against the ropes then toss them over your hip with an underhook.
8/19/13 2:25 AM
whoabro

UGCTT_sakurabas ear -
caelrad -
We all know that we should just ask DanTheITaughtThatAndCallItThisMan and he'll let us know.

Paging Dan TheIHopeYouFinallyGotSomeSleepMan Phone Post
Boom! Phone Post 3.0
8/19/13 2:27 AM
UGCKIRTT_SonofJockstrap
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That "lat drop" was a thing of beauty, and perfectly timed. He tried doing it the first time Shogun took him down a slipped, watch the fight again to see. Perfect execution and a solid display of wrestling by the American gangster

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.