UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Any good schools near Hartford, CT?

8/19/13 2:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Zenoplata
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Might be getting a job out there soon. Just wondering if anyone knew any reputable schools, a Google search didn't seem to offer much information. The only Gracie schools I could find didn't really look like BJJ schools but were that "combat system." Looks like one dude I found is a BB under Rob Kahn which is a good sign.

Thanks in advance.
8/19/13 5:35 PM
SC7
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That would be Jay Bell, black belt under Rob Kahn. Great school, leans toward no-gi.

There's also Doug Gallant who runs a Royce Gracie program in Glastonbury which is close, and Rick Torres runs a Gracie Academy affiliate in Wethersfield. Darin Reisler / Gabriel Santos are at Plus One in West Hartford.

There are options, just depends on what you're looking for.

8/19/13 5:50 PM
Zenoplata
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks dude, voted up.
8/19/13 6:02 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/19/13 6:03 PM
Formiga teaches in Cromwell which isn't too far

Underdog BJJ is in Hartford or West Hartford I believe
8/19/13 6:22 PM
angrypirate
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was in town (March I think it was) and stopped by Doug Gallant's school in Glastonbury. Good guys, humble, and skilled. Doug was out of town, but there were two purple belts there that I rolled with. Enjoyed it.
8/19/13 6:37 PM
Zenoplata

Glastonbury looks like one of the nicer suburbs of Hartford.

I looked up Underdog as well, they look pretty legit.
8/21/13 1:38 PM
jbelljitsu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/21/13 1:51 PM
There are a bunch of options for you it all depends on what you are looking for. I'd recommend trying a bunch of them out and then deciding from there. In no particular order here are the schools i would check out:
Royce Affiliate in Glastonbury - Doug Gallant - long time practitioner with the added bonus of excellent stand-up game. also has a nasty purple belt in Dan Durkee with a div 1 wrestling background.<
Plus One - West Hartford- gigantic and gorgeous facility - Gabriel Gladiator Santos runs the program and he is an excellent black belt with MMA experience. Also you have black belt Bruno Lichenstein and Luis Rosario who is an incredibly talented brown belt who virtually lives jiu jitsu. The owner Darin Reisler is also a very technical brown belt.

The Cage - Rocky Hill: another big beast of a school with a phenomenal black belt in Danilo Cherman

Underdog - West Hartford: appear to be focused (and successful) on competition, both bjj and mma. at least 3-4 black belts that I'm aware of though I believe the head instructor reigns were recently passed on as I heard that Fabiano left. If accurate the remaining instructors are all still very good.

Of course there is also my school, Gracie Farmington Valley, which as the owner and head instructor I'm happy to recommend:)I should also note we are about 50%/50% gi and nogi

whichever way you go you'll receive solid instruction and have a fair number of other talented students to train with. Again, visit them all and make an informed decision. There are also a host of other schools a bit farther outside of Hartford you should at least consider traveling to:
Bushido BJJ in Mancehester
Soulcraft in Hamden
Macarra BJJ Norwich
Macarra BJJ Colchester
Gracie Sports Norwalk
Giroux Bros in Glastonbury

Train safe,

Jay
8/21/13 2:07 PM
brad1
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zenoplata- Jay's list is right on the money and you really can't go wrong with any of those guys.

It really depends where you will be living (North, East, West or South of Hartford) and what you want to focus on.

Many of the people on his list are tight and have been a part of the bjj community around here for the last 10-15 years; so a lot of us visit each others schools frequently. What I'm saying is there's a lot of capacity to train with different high-level peeps and a great network of good schools regardless of where you land.

Best of luck with the move.

Brad
Soulcraftbjj.com
8/21/13 2:16 PM
Zenoplata

Edited: 08/21/13 2:29 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I am really pleased at all the helpful replies I've received.

I'll be interviewing for the job next Thurs., so hopefully I'll be seeing some of you guys relatively soon.
8/21/13 3:31 PM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

There is Renzo Gracie of West Haven

Its like a 45-50 min ride. Phone Post 3.0
8/21/13 3:35 PM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

Chris Leben is a Zombie - There is Renzo Gracie of West Haven

Its like a 45-50 min ride. Phone Post 3.0
They offer

BJJ from a Renzo Gracie Black Belt

The Judo instructor is a high level Black Belt

Freestyle Wrestling from a former D1 wrestler

Greco-Roman wrestling

Mauy Thai from a Professional Thai Boxer Phone Post 3.0
8/22/13 6:14 PM
imoutofnutella
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a Roy Harris affiliate in Meriden. Founded by Chris Martell (TwinkleToesCT) now led by three purple belts.
Modern Defense Phone Post 3.0
8/22/13 10:06 PM
Gamebred
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jay bell is a world class instructor and an incredibly good guy. In addition he has a great group of guys with plenty of talent to roll with.

Rob kahn Phone Post
8/23/13 10:31 AM
otisbwags

Is Jim Hughes still in West Hartford?
8/27/13 7:44 AM
ggddcc
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jbelljitsu - There are a bunch of options for you it all depends on what you are looking for. I'd recommend trying a bunch of them out and then deciding from there. In no particular order here are the schools i would check out:
Royce Affiliate in Glastonbury - Doug Gallant - long time practitioner with the added bonus of excellent stand-up game. also has a nasty purple belt in Dan Durkee with a div 1 wrestling background.<
Plus One - West Hartford- gigantic and gorgeous facility - Gabriel Gladiator Santos runs the program and he is an excellent black belt with MMA experience. Also you have black belt Bruno Lichenstein and Luis Rosario who is an incredibly talented brown belt who virtually lives jiu jitsu. The owner Darin Reisler is also a very technical brown belt.

The Cage - Rocky Hill: another big beast of a school with a phenomenal black belt in Danilo Cherman

Underdog - West Hartford: appear to be focused (and successful) on competition, both bjj and mma. at least 3-4 black belts that I'm aware of though I believe the head instructor reigns were recently passed on as I heard that Fabiano left. If accurate the remaining instructors are all still very good.

Of course there is also my school, Gracie Farmington Valley, which as the owner and head instructor I'm happy to recommend:)I should also note we are about 50%/50% gi and nogi

whichever way you go you'll receive solid instruction and have a fair number of other talented students to train with. Again, visit them all and make an informed decision. There are also a host of other schools a bit farther outside of Hartford you should at least consider traveling to:
Bushido BJJ in Mancehester
Soulcraft in Hamden
Macarra BJJ Norwich
Macarra BJJ Colchester
Gracie Sports Norwalk
Giroux Bros in Glastonbury

Train safe,

Jay

It's unreal, the quality of BJJ in CT.

I train at the Cage currently, but have trained with almost everyone on this list. Any of these schools will be great. Brad was my first instructor.

I want to add in New Haven is Carlson Gracie CT with Fabio Araujo. 3 stripe black-belt.

Greg
9/1/13 2:14 PM
Zenoplata

Interview was Thurs., it went very well but I should know mid-September. Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you guys soon!
9/5/13 10:08 PM
redwhiteandblues
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what school(s) closest to E. Hartford???

let's say, within 20 minute drive.

thx
9/6/13 11:28 AM
brad1

Redwhiteandblues- Check out Manchester BJJ, right past E.Hartford. Manchesterbjj.com

or Doug Gallant's school in Glastonbury.

-Brad
9/6/13 9:03 PM
Zenoplata

Funny to see this bumped, I had my 2nd interview today. Fingers crossed.

Looking forward to training with you guys if I get a chance.
9/8/13 8:21 PM
ggddcc

brad1 - Redwhiteandblues- Check out Manchester BJJ, right past E.Hartford. Manchesterbjj.com

-Brad

Agree with Brad, or check out the Cage www.ctcage.com

Danilo Cherman 3-stripe black belt from Andre Pederneiras/Nova Uniao.

There's also this Brown-belt there that invented his own guard- the DiLaCrosta™ Guard.

Greg
9/8/13 8:35 PM
Wu Tang

Edited: 09/08/13 8:35 PM
Greg............. tm..
9/9/13 6:03 AM
Zenoplata

You can trademark a jujitsu move? That's nuts, lol.
9/9/13 5:13 PM
mbalz izhairy

Danilo Cherman is awesome
9/9/13 9:21 PM
redwhiteandblues
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ggddcc - 
brad1 - Redwhiteandblues- Check out Manchester BJJ, right past E.Hartford. Manchesterbjj.com

-Brad

Agree with Brad, or check out the Cage www.ctcage.com

Danilo Cherman 3-stripe black belt from Andre Pederneiras/Nova Uniao.

There's also this Brown-belt there that invented his own guard- the DiLaCrosta™ Guard.

Greg

i remember hearing about him, and looks like a possible place to drop in when i'm in town (later this month).

thx again.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.