UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Face choke/jaw crush during comp training?

9/4/13 2:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Randy Marsh
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJBuster -
Randy Marsh - Yay or nay? This is in reference to people defending the choke with their face/jaw and getting part of their head smashed. I don't generally give or receive this tactic. Two bros at the gym were having a debate. Guy A thinks it is a jerk move. Guy B thinks it is fair game in competition training. I'm just curious about your thoughts. I have seen this thread before but can not I search for it on my phone. Phone Post
Is guy A the choker or chokee?

Assuming hes the "chokee" If he's getting his face choked and thinks its a jerk move he could just tap. Ain't no sense in blocking something with your face and then complaining Phone Post 3.0
Guy A was neither but said he didn't use that technique because he didn't want to be considered rude. Phone Post
9/4/13 2:14 AM
Randy Marsh
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJBuster - I mean, do people block punches with their face and then complain? Phone Post 3.0
lolol funny brah Phone Post
9/4/13 3:38 AM
thegreatone287
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As said earlier it's fair if you don't like it tap. Phone Post
9/4/13 5:26 PM
Baroquen Record
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I say yay.
9/4/13 8:27 PM
cross3dout
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go for it, partner got it on me today, wasn't the least bit mad, returned the favor with a bow and arrow. Training is training. Phone Post 3.0
9/5/13 12:00 PM
Snoozhitsu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can see both sides of it.

It's competition training, so anything thats competition legal is fair game. If someone decided to do it to me I wouldn't complain - I'd just tap if I felt I was going to be injured.

That said I wouldn't do it to someone else since I don't think in a BJJ/grappling competition or MMA fight that squeezing somebody's face is going to make them give up the choke or tap.
9/5/13 2:05 PM
ChipW
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Snoozhitsu - I can see both sides of it.

It's competition training, so anything thats competition legal is fair game. If someone decided to do it to me I wouldn't complain - I'd just tap if I felt I was going to be injured.

That said I wouldn't do it to someone else since I don't think in a BJJ/grappling competition or MMA fight that squeezing somebody's face is going to make them give up the choke or tap.
Yeah that's what I think too. I'll just tap if it hurts bad. I've never felt like it would break my jaw though, at least not before I could tap. Phone Post
9/5/13 7:39 PM
On the Mat
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Owner, On the Mat
90lb_weakling -  Its douchey but fair game. They are not mutually exclusive.

Theres too much whine about this online lately. When I started. You learned the regular way... and the douchey way.

Bacl then, if you were friends with a guy, you were nice. And if you rolled with some spaz or some retard, you used some douchey methods to send him a message.

I really dont see the problem. Are you getting injured? No? Then calm the fuck down. Phone Post

Thats cause you trane Jiu Jitsu. Nowadays kids be training Wus Jitsu
9/5/13 8:15 PM
pheonix5
678 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On the Mat - 
90lb_weakling -  Its douchey but fair game. They are not mutually exclusive.

Theres too much whine about this online lately. When I started. You learned the regular way... and the douchey way.

Bacl then, if you were friends with a guy, you were nice. And if you rolled with some spaz or some retard, you used some douchey methods to send him a message.

I really dont see the problem. Are you getting injured? No? Then calm the fuck down. Phone Post

Thats cause you trane Jiu Jitsu. Nowadays kids be training Wus Jitsu

True. I did catch wrestling for about 6 years and we did knee reaps,heel hooks, neck cranks and plenty of face crushing. You learned to tap early and tap often. When I transitioned to BJJ, there were rules not to use such techniques and I can understand  why, it's not good for business and there are the rules of sport BJJ. With that said, when I roll with certain other blues and above we go pretty hard. I've yet to use the face crush personally, but have it used on me pretty often. I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me. From my experience, you can tell who you can go a little hard with and who not to go hard with. It's a legit technique,BJJ 101 head lock escapes. In training I think you should apply pressure gradually,after awhile you develop tolerence anyway. I say use it,but don't cause damage to your partner. Tournaments are open game.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.