UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Article written by my publication blasting Sherdog

9/4/13 7:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
soliak
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/04/13 7:11 PM
Adam Mcgregor - 
soliak - 

'Our editor is a much more talented writer than anybody over at that terrible site'

Your editor fucking sucks dude. A friend is a writer/editor on a small website, this is an example of decent quality work - http://www.strikemag.org/bullshit-jobs/

I could just as easily say your friend sucks. Its easy to do when you don't cite any issues.

Do you honestly think that article reads well Adam? Honestly? I am by no means a fantastic writer, but I wrote English papers in highschool that had better flow and editing.

Look at this gem:

if so we would gladly provide a back-link to the publication that originated it.  (As we always have.)

What about saying  'Finally I will say this,' then proceeding to write another 3 paragraphs. It reminds me of this...

I don't mean to be harsh mate, but spamming links on forums to get more clicks without good content is setting yourself up for failure. You will now lose all of the UG/OG as potential readers, as well as Sherdog. That's a large percentage of the MMA article reading community.

9/4/13 7:13 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adam Mcgregor - And the articles existence is not simply to bitch, we are citing reasons as to why we are opening forums on our site.

It doesn't feel like you're welcoming MMA fans to your site's forums, it feels like an agenda to to try and take clicks away from Sherdog.

9/4/13 7:15 PM
Adam Mcgregor
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yabadaba - 

"The only thing we post to other sites, is exclusive content. As in, quotes I went out and got from fighters myself. That is how forums work. You see it everyday, somebody finds something elsewhere that is not found on the site the forum is hosted on, so they post the link. Thats how you learn about the sport."

If someone not associated with your website posts a link that's one thing but what this guy is doing is spam. There's nothing wrong with posting links to your work (see Jack Slack for example) but you need to be upfront about your association with the link you're posting.

The whole reason any of this began is that one of our readers linked to an article on our website and was banned. The word scifighting will get you banned on sherdog. Go try it, say the word scifighting on sherdog. They have it out for us, so we simply wrote about it.
9/4/13 7:17 PM
FOTN
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/04/13 7:46 PM
If you were writing it for your own audience then why did you then spam up other forums like this one hyping it up as if if you had real comments from 'Mayhem' when in fact all you had was the equivalent of a "no comment" response.<br /><br />It seems to me that you are in complete denial about the points being raised here. It'd be much better if you held up your hands, admit that you've made some mistakes and move on before you dig yourself an even deeper hole.
9/4/13 7:20 PM
Qannebiss
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, this didn't backfire at all. Phone Post
9/4/13 7:21 PM
Sublime7SD
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adam Mcgregor - And the articles existence is not simply to bitch, we are citing reasons as to why we are opening forums on our site.

This sounds like it's being made up after the article is written. I'm not accusing you of making shit up, but if this were the case, why not mention that you're opening forums in the article? I see a hypothetical reference ("Were I to open forums", or something like that) but nowhere else in the article is it mentioned that it will be done. The title mentions nothing about opening forums, only a little dig at Sherdog.

I'm pretty sure the purpose of the article was to complain about Sherdog, regardless of what you say. If that article was supposed to let people know why you're opening forums, it failed. It didn't even let me know that you were.
9/4/13 7:21 PM
Silhouette
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adam Mcgregor - With the quote from Mayhem, we were writing for our own audience. They have followed the story closely since we first started covering it. No other MMA news site was in the courtroom with us observing his case, so when we got a quote from him, that's all we had. It was better than nothing.

that's bullshit, don't come here trying to act high and mighty and then come back with that lame excuse for journalism.

it was misleading. You were just trying to get clicks by misleading folks.
9/4/13 7:22 PM
Adam Mcgregor
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FOTN - If you were writing it for your own audience then why did you then spam up other forums like this one hyping it up as if if you had real comments from 'Mayhem' when in fact all you had was the equivalent of a "no comment" response.

It seems to me that you are in complete denial about the points being raised here. It'd be much better if you held up your hands, admit that you've made some mistakes and move on before you did yourself an even deeper hole.

I am simply a field reporter for this publication. I'm not in a position to efficiently argue here. Other members will be on soon with better answers than I.
9/4/13 7:23 PM
Sublime7SD
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/04/13 7:24 PM
Also, based on the screenshots posted in that article, it doesn't sound like this poster left a single link. It sounds like they created numerous threads linking to your site. So yeah, they probably do have it out for you now, and deservedly so if that is the case. People have probably been banned for much less than spamming links to a competitor's website, they just didn't feel it was worth writing an article about. Because it wasn't.
9/4/13 7:23 PM
MManiacal
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/04/13 7:24 PM
FOTN - If you were writing it for your own audience then why did you then spam up other forums like this one hyping it up as if if you had real comments from 'Mayhem' when in fact all you had was the equivalent of a "no comment" response.

It seems to me that you are in complete denial about the points being raised here. It'd be much better if you held up your hands, admit that you've made some mistakes and move on before you did yourself an even deeper hole.

As the author of the article in question (Charlie Hersman), I am willing to do just that. I agree that we over-sensationalized the title in a way that wasn't representative of it's content, and I pledge that I won't do so again. It was an otherwise slow news day, and as Adam said we were the only media in the court room at the time. The conversation I had with Mayhem went deeper than the comment made in the post, but that was all he was willing to give on the record. I am open to criticism, and I will strive to heed it as I move forward. Mistakes were made, but we're committed to improving as a publication and as journalists who have a true passion for the sport of mixed martial arts.

9/4/13 7:26 PM
Sublime7SD

MManiacal - 

As the author of the article in question (Charlie Hersman), I am willing to do just that. I agree that we over-sensationalized the title in a way that wasn't representative of it's content, and I pledge that I won't do so again. It was an otherwise slow news day, and as Adam said we were the only media in the court room at the time. The conversation I had with Mayhem went deeper than the comment made in the post, but that was all he was willing to give on the record. I am open to criticism, and I will strive to heed it as I move forward. Mistakes were made, but we're committed to improving as a publication and as journalists who have a true passion for the sport of mixed martial arts.

Proper response to criticism if it is warranted (I think it is in this instance) and if you carry through. Cheers.
9/4/13 7:26 PM
JimmersonzGlove
508 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's a photo you stole from ESPN...:

ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/extra/mma/photos/gallery/_/id/8859374/image/18/belfort-versus-bisping

ESPN won't even let me link that pic to this forum.

Your site...again, uploaded to your server and passed off as your own:

http://cdn.scifighting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/belfort-bisping-700x352.jpg

9/4/13 7:40 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In b4 petulance storm Phone Post 3.0
9/4/13 7:43 PM
Drugs_Delaney
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

now this is how you troll. take note shitdoggers, you petulent nazis.
FOTN
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MManiacal - 

That's a response I can respect. You showed good initiative to report on the matter in the first place, but it seems you got a little carried away in the end. It's a forgiveable error in judgement, but it did leave a bad impression. A lesson learned I'm sure.

shaqitup
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bubba's Pinkslipped Butthole - 

Shitdog a UFC shill fanboy site with a healthy injection of Pride fanatics.

The real issue there are the mods.  Never in my entire forum posting career have I ever seen a place with such arrogant and power-tripping mods.

This, the head admin is a chode as well.

I may disagree with some of the mods on here, but if i've ever had a disagreement they have sent me an inbox message before anything else, which i do appreciate.

On sherdog it's ban first, and without reason sometimes.

Their site has a better layout, quote notifications, and gives you more as a free member, but the mods are horrendous.

9/4/13 7:48 PM
JimmersonzGlove
508 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"That being said.  We DO NOT intentionally violate copyright. If there are images that have a copyright and we do not ahere to the fair use policy then we will gladly replace them with other.  We've never received a complaint from anyone."

LOL look at that ESPN photo. How is that not an intentional violation of copyright?

You've never received a complaint because most of your articles have less than 500 views and no one has heard about your website.

Look...good luck on having a website. I hope you have fun with it and so do your contributors, but it's funny that you come out the gate blasting a site that spends money to fly people all over the country to cover MMA and get original MMA content while you're basically just jacking content from other sites. This is all because you're butt hurt over an internet forum that everyone knows is dogshit.

9/4/13 7:50 PM
JimmersonzGlove

SciFighting - 
JimmersonzGlove - 

ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/extra/mma/photos/gallery/_/id/8859374/image/18/belfort-versus-bisping

http://cdn.scifighting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/belfort-bisping-700x352.jpg

Go do a google image search on that fight and see just how many sites have reused that image.  I HIGHLY doubt we found it on ESPN considering it's not even the top hit on the image search.

http://www.bettingsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/belfort-bisping.jpg

Do you want to bash them too?  Guys, please get a job, or a life... one of the two... and if you want to litigate... come work for me, I can always use a good attorney with this sort of tenacity lol

How many of those sites owners are posting on the UG bragging about how much money they make?

I'm not an attorney, I'm just not an idiot.

9/4/13 7:53 PM
dMo
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UG is the epitome of petulance and proud of it.

9/4/13 7:55 PM
Uchi
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SciFighting - 
JimmersonzGlove - 

ESPN:

Go do a google image search on that fight and see just how many sites have reused that image.  I HIGHLY doubt we found it on ESPN considering it's not even the top hit on the image search.

http://www.bettingsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/belfort-bisping.jpg

Do you want to bash them too?  Guys, please get a job, or a life... one of the two... and if you want to litigate... come work for me, I can always use a good attorney with this sort of tenacity lol

In one breath you highlight your journalistic integrity and professionalism, and then when it comes to content you defer to 'everyone else is doing it', and 'no one has complained thus far'. Its your site, as you like to point out, so the buck stops with you. What guidelines have you set for your site to acquire and use images for content, ensuring proper crediting and permissions where applicable? From your posts, it appears you are not certain.

Cheers,
-U-
9/4/13 7:56 PM
Clarence Parents
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/04/13 7:56 PM

Sherdog Radio Network is awesome.. I listen to most of their shows every week. Sherdog forums on the other hand.. I don't go any deeper than the Vbookie MMA forum. So I won't fault anyone for their negative view of the Sherdog forums..

But being honest, OP and the Scifighting crew have not made a great first impression on me here.

A simple "Hi UG, we're (x),(y) and (z) from Scifighting ... happy to be here/check out our stuff yada yada etc..  " would have gone a lot smoother than a 0 poster with an anti-sherdog crusade and a site link.

9/4/13 7:56 PM
Vaginal Tear
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dMo -

The UG is the epitome of petulance and proud of it.

A bunch if faces of fuck around here. Phone Post 3.0
9/4/13 7:57 PM
JimmersonzGlove

Everyone else is doing it...and gives an example of an offshore gambling website operating in fucking MALTA.

That's who you're measuring up against? LOL

9/4/13 7:58 PM
Uchi
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh, and while your article on Sherdog is certainly not news, I would wholeheartedly agree they suck and have not glanced at their forums for many years.
9/4/13 7:59 PM
Sublime7SD

Boasting about your credentials, Facebook likes, or your self-admitted talent won't actually get anyone to enjoy your writing. It will probably make them less inclined to do so and with this article, you've given them essentially nothing to begin with. Attacking everyone who's criticized you here with a blanket statement is a pretty childish response to someone not liking your work.

The article was also a pretty childish response. Your website has very obviously been blacklisted there, most likely because of someone promoting it. After that initial ban, it seems that they have decided to ban anyone that mentions your website. Nobody cares about that, man. Sherdog can run their forums however they'd like. You are coming across as very childish. Or you could be making a calculated decision to try to take a whack at a successful enterprise in an effort to get some of their base to wander over to your site. If it's the first, then you should try to thicken your skin a bit and not be so quick to jump up on your soapbox every time someone forgets the pickles on your Whopper. If it's the second, then it's an idea that's worked before, but you have to expect and deal with the criticism that comes with trying to ride coattails.

You should look to Mmaniacal for an example of how to handle justified criticism. Hint: It's not starting out with a blanket statement attacking everyone who thinks you're a mediocre writer.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.