UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Shayna Baszler's TUF Blog about tonight's ep.

9/12/13 10:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChrisJPN
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JustPeed -  Shayna came across obnoxiously cocky and unlikeable in the episode tonight

And in this blog Phone Post

Yep. Extremely happy she lost based purely on personality.
9/12/13 10:31 PM
Proteus The Invincible
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In my opinion, Shayna comes across as entitled and arrogant, neither of which indicating that she has confidence, contrary to what she claims. Ironically, she acknowledges that it's that attitude that costed her the fight.
9/12/13 11:42 PM
BJJkilla
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shayna talked a lot but didn't back it up. if she really felt her opponent didn't deserve to fight her or be in the cage with her, make an example out of her instead of gassing out and getting out worked.
9/12/13 11:51 PM
Internettufguy

BTT-RyannVonDoom -
Glovegate -

Crook, I think most know you can't be everywhere.  A heads up in that regard:  You should watch out for any threads where Caraway might come up.  Dude gets shit on hardcore.

Mr. Tate does get shit on a lot. I feel bad sometimes for it. Phone Post 3.0
Wouldn't "Mr. Tate" be fighter bashing? After all, you are insulting his manhood by calling him that. Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 12:24 AM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

ssj - way to post spoilers you cocksmacker
I didnt. I dont know what happens this season and i never have. Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 12:44 AM
Ocean6

And now I'm starting to question Jessamyn Duke's level of maturity as well.

Shayna wasn't just confident, she was degrading and harsh, and Jessamyn lapped it up and spit it right back out, and is still doing so.
9/13/13 12:44 AM
Ocean6

:) They sure a s hell got us talking about it! Success!
9/13/13 1:31 AM
Rox19
411 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/13/13 1:34 AM
Shayna's episode and also her blog made me sad. :( That is not the best way she can be portrayed, and not her personality. I will write a blog about it later, but basically...

Shanya has indeed been passed up for opportunities. A few years ago she won a local MMA tournament, and the winner was supposed to get signed to ...I forget, Strikeforce or some large organization. She won but never got the contract! She didn't get signed to the UFC and feels she should have. She IS super talented and has all this unique catch wrestling experience and experience against other girls...

so much of what she's saying, I'm sure isn't directed at Julianna as a person. But at the situation. If it was Sally Brown who was 3-0, Shayna would be saying the same thing, based on experience. I'm sure she's also trying to give herself confidence so she can win her fight. We all want to make ourselves confident by telling ourselves 'I can do it! she's nothing!" but the way it came across was trash talking. And she didn't get along with Julianna, so that came through in the blog, too. :(

Not the best representation of Shayna, unfortunately. She is a super cool and respectful person. This is the first time I've seen this, and I think it's born out of this situation.
9/13/13 2:21 AM
TheRaider
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rox19 - Shayna's episode and also her blog made me sad. :( That is not the best way she can be portrayed, and not her personality. I will write a blog about it later, but basically...

Shanya has indeed been passed up for opportunities. A few years ago she won a local MMA tournament, and the winner was supposed to get signed to ...I forget, Strikeforce or some large organization. She won but never got the contract! She didn't get signed to the UFC and feels she should have. She IS super talented and has all this unique catch wrestling experience and experience against other girls...

so much of what she's saying, I'm sure isn't directed at Julianna as a person. But at the situation. If it was Sally Brown who was 3-0, Shayna would be saying the same thing, based on experience. I'm sure she's also trying to give herself confidence so she can win her fight. We all want to make ourselves confident by telling ourselves 'I can do it! she's nothing!" but the way it came across was trash talking. And she didn't get along with Julianna, so that came through in the blog, too. :(

Not the best representation of Shayna, unfortunately. She is a super cool and respectful person. This is the first time I've seen this, and I think it's born out of this situation.

Thanks for sharing! VTFU.
9/13/13 3:41 AM
MMAtador

JustPeed - Shayna came across obnoxiously cocky and unlikeable in the episode tonight

And in this blog Phone Post
Totally agree Phone Post
9/13/13 3:44 AM
MMAtador

Rox19 - Shayna's episode and also her blog made me sad. :( That is not the best way she can be portrayed, and not her personality. I will write a blog about it later, but basically...

Maybe she should try being humble at some point might help her advance further in life in general. Phone Post
9/13/13 6:02 AM
BRZ

Rox19 - Shayna's episode and also her blog made me sad. :( That is not the best way she can be portrayed, and not her personality. I will write a blog about it later, but basically...

Hey Roxy I think you are talking about the FCF tourney that Shayna was in and won? Yes she was suppose to win a Strikeforce contract and nothing came of it back then. Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 7:33 AM
Kentpaul
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol she thought she just had to turn up to win and got her ass handed to her, because a girl with her experience should know by now that there is no easy fights
9/13/13 8:03 AM
jTheHybridwolff
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for Shayna
confidants or cockiness either way I'm a fan not going to let one fight on a tv show change that Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 8:05 AM
jTheHybridwolff
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BTT-RyannVonDoom -

Truth Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 8:22 AM
ChaosOverkill
370 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/13/13 8:22 AM

Look in the end there's two sides of this. You can bitch that any amount of confidence doesn't cross the line into cockiness and that fans don't have the right and this that and the other, and the side that, you agreed to go on Jersey Shore for MMA and know what it can do or not do for an image and take responsibility for saying what you say.

If some director is literally poking these fighters with a stick to talk "deserve, and shouldn't breath my air" then fine we're all as fans totally off base but I doubt there is. We pay for the fights, we watch the shows, don't get mad when something you say pisses off more people than it sits well with, there's ALWAYS a line where balance exists, it's part of the vague and vast social contract and always has been.

That being said, this show has never established how much encouraging it does with this shit, but that blog just piled on the sour so, like so many athletes in major sports are finding out, it's often better to detele the Twitter account and forgo the blogs if you are too knee-jerky emotional. None of this makes Shayna or Rousey a bad person just, cringe worthy with the extra jabs and anger. It happens but it becomes tiresome fast with every athlete who does it in sports.

See JP Arencibia and Brett Lawrie of the Blue Jays

9/13/13 8:26 AM
ChaosOverkill
370 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/13/13 8:42 AM

ANd as a reference for what JP and Brett's situation are about, they are both 3rd and 2nd year players who struggled this year along with the team. When the fans took to their twitters to demand better in various ways, JP and BRett both outgoing emotional guys lashed out at Fans and local broadcasters that weren't constantly positive and apologetic which backfired horribly and affected their game even further.

They eventually had to delete their social media accounts for the betterment of their careers and the team. It hasn't really worked for Arencibia, because well, he's a terrible catcher defensively but it's a lesson, and the more fans a sport has the WORSE IT WILL BE FOR AN ATHLETE

The further lesson is, that if negative feedback affects you, as is evidence by Jessamyn coming to your defense, you are better served by focusing on your game and leaving the social media alone, no matter what the UFC wants of you. It is not worth it affecting your training or fights if it, or slights in your career do. We pay but we do not have an expectation of interaction with you, that is a bonus that too many take for granted and reciprocally cross the line with.

9/13/13 8:29 AM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

Edited: 09/13/13 8:46 AM
She is 15-8, lost to every real fighter she has faced. Might not even be top 10, who cares about her, people talk as if she is Fedor or somebody lol. She has no reason to be cocky
9/13/13 8:37 AM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

jTheHybridwolff - TTT for Shayna
confidants or cockiness either way I'm a fan not going to let one fight on a tv show change that Phone Post 3.0

You part of the Queens Army? lol
9/13/13 8:59 AM
jTheHybridwolff

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun -

Lol sure if it means I'm a fan of hers and I'm not going to let a known highly edited show skew my opinion on her she lost looked bad but IMO she takes that fight 9 out of 10 times Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 9:03 AM
shawarma

Lol. Unbelievable ego. Thinks she is the greatest fighter in history just based on fight numbers rather than skill. She poses no threat to the top of the division and whilst she still may get her chance, if you've been working this hard at something and lose to an untested brawler with inferior technique to you, then perhaps time to take a step back.

Whilst editing can be misleading this blog shows she has hardly been humbled.

Reminds me of that guy Kaplan who thought he was the most amazing fighter only to provide us with the funniest moment in TUF history with his KO in the house. Phone Post
9/13/13 9:11 AM
Stonemann
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jTheHybridwolff - 

Lol sure if it means I'm a fan of hers and I'm not going to let a known highly edited show skew my opinion on her she lost looked bad but IMO she takes that fight 9 out of 10 times Phone Post 3.0

Member since before 2001,and I rarely post. "I Never vote", but VTFU for this. Shaynas getting side-swiped, and I aint budging.Editing, mis-direction, what-EVER. You people have the wrong impression of Shayna, it's sad.
9/13/13 9:16 AM
jTheHybridwolff

Stonemann -
jTheHybridwolff - 

Member since before 2001,and I rarely post. "I Never vote", but VTFU for this. Shaynas getting side-swiped, and I aint budging.Editing, mis-direction, what-EVER. You people have the wrong impression of Shayna, it's sad.
Thank you sir !
It's true we all know they edit the hell out of this show but It's Ez to give your 2cents based on whatcha watched on tv last night or the night before Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 9:18 AM
cadmus
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have no idea what has been said already, but i know from experience that Shayna's problem in this fight was exacerbated by poor coaching from her team, and that disappoints me, as i am a huge fan of Ronda.  She went into this fight with a feeling of entitlement.  ENTITLEMENT.  An age old problem in martial arts, but only a recent one in MMA, as it hasn't been around that long. 

People who have been in the game for a long time start to believe that their experience will overcome any newcomer.  Just like black belts of old always believed they could beat those unranked in their style.  Real, or even MMA fights don't work that way.

MMA is heading down the path of traditional martial arts that started it's formation in the first place - look to Bruce Lee and his disdain for the 'classical mess', and the problem with higher ranks truly believing that they csn beat newcomers in a real fight.  Often they are correct.  But, sometimes, that newcomer has enough heart, fitness and sheer bloody-mindedness to ignore all your honed fighting skills and give you a beating.

Ronda should have recognised this in Shayna, and advised her not to think of her opponent as un-entitled to the fight, but as a serious threat to her chance at winning.  Perhaps this is something that Ronda herself is having a problem with, and this will help her in her own career, but it was a bad attitude to enter the fight with for Shayna, who really was a legitimate contender for Ronda herself, up until this. 

Anyway, Shayna has the ability and the experience, but the old dogs need to respect the new, hungry dogs in the hunt for leader of the pack.  A fight really IS different to training, in so many ways.

9/13/13 9:22 AM
In Limbo
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/13/13 9:24 AM

is jessamyn the same girl they showed * in the interlude/commercial for TUF that looks like she just finished a tough round/fight and was walking back to her corner all battered?

if so, i must ahve an eye for spotting models, bc i thought that little clip was fucking sexy!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.