UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dana White rips Matthew Riddle

9/12/13 5:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MOAOZINHO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gobulcoque - 
Billyz - I know its the popular sentiment to think Dana is the evil one always, but um... He's 100% right

You cant pass a fucking basic drug test because you want to be a fucking hippy stoner?! (dont give me the bullshit medical exemption crap)
you make dumb ass remarks about it helping keep you non violent toward your wife and kid (joke or not why the fuck would you say that publicily)

then you blame everyone else

sad because he obviously had skills but didn't have the brains to keep his mouth shut or apparently off a bong or joint either.

He's not right, and you're an asshole to if you think so. Dana is the president of a multi-national billion dollar company, and he acts like a hotheaded brat.

I agree that Riddle is an idiot, but this response from Dana was way over the top and he was outright insulting to his former employee, over some pretty minor shit that was said in the first place. If was I was Riddle I'd look into suing him for defamation of character.

Just think if you were released from your job and made some minor remark about how you didn't feel you were being treated fairly, and then your boss goes on the news and tells everyone you're a fucking dummy and an idiot. Completely unacceptable.

1. Where did you get the Billion figure from?

2. Defamation of character? Calling someone an idiot does not constitute defamation.

9/12/13 5:59 PM
MisterHawkeMMA

Hurricane - 

MisterHawkeMMA - When I say I blew it  - I got my ass kicked live on PPV. That doesn't deserve a cut - It's kinda like fumbling the ball as a running back for a game winning play. You don't deserve to lose your job & you can't tell me that an 0-5, 1-4, or 0-3 guy has more leverage than I did - especially with the slam KO previously on UFC 116. Also, I think you gotta understand the "politically correct" view of my interview answers also.

Deserve isn't a word that applies when talking about business. I'm saying that more for the readers than you, because I'm sure you know that already because right after you use a word that's a lot more fitting. And my honest answer to that question is, if that 0-4 fighter is Dan Hardy and that 0-3 fighter is Frank Mir, then yes he does have more leverage.
It doesn't seem right, but in entertainment, at the entry level everyone has extremely little leverage.
And part of what I liked about your comment was that even though I'm sure there's no way you actually felt like that, you demonstrated an understanding of the business and how to say what was in your best interest as opposed to just spewing off at the mouth without a filter.
9/12/13 6:39 PM
canofsticks
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can Dana at least to pretend to be diplomatic or normal about these situations? It's an angry employee you fired. That happens. You don't need to then go on a rampage about the guy.

Why couldn't his response have been: I would have loved to keep him in the UFC but he unfortunately couldn't pass a drug test. And it sounds like he didn't like the business he was in anymore and wanted to do something different with his life. That happens to people sometimes. Good luck to him.

But to be fair Riddle is an idiot here.
9/12/13 7:18 PM
Jaybrone
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All he had to do to keep his job is pass a damn drug test. Dana is right about his weed use. I don't know if he should have gone into the finances and such but he had a right to rip his weed use.

9/12/13 7:22 PM
CindyO

Hurricane - 

I love how Dana rips the people that he cuts, but they NEVER EVER gave an explanation of why I was cut?  I see guys failing drug test, getting arrested, losing 3-5 fights in a row and still keep their job. I'm so tired of people still asking asking me why - I hope that he answers the question one day. Even MMA Live dodged the question.

Who did this interview for you with MMAJunkie? If it was you, just send folks the link to it when they ask you why you were cut because you addressed it here in great detail.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2010/11/former-ufc-middleweight-contender-gerald-harris-i-messed-up

But it was the third frame that drew the ire of White. With Falcao content to ride out the clock and Harris unable to mount any significant offense, the final round played out as a complete stalemate that White dubbed the "Ultimate Staring Competition."

Harris admits he has little recollection of the third round but knows the performance was unacceptable.

"It's a blur," Harris admitted. "I got blasted a couple of times in that fight. Any fighter can tell you when you get rocked, you kind of go away and come back and realize, 'Oh, hey, I'm still in this.' We clashed a couple times in scrambles, and I got in trouble.

"The only thing I remember about the third round is in the last 10 seconds, he started going nuts like he was about to do something. The third round is a blur, honestly. I remember going after him. I wasn't scared. I was going after him, but I wasn't throwing haymakers."

And ultimately, it was Harris' unwillingness to engage in the final round that led to his release from the sport's biggest promotion. While the roster move enraged many MMA fans, Harris said he understands why the decision was made.

"I didn't show enough initiative to win the fight," Harris said. "If it was a [preliminary-card] fight, I probably wouldn't be in that much trouble, but they gave me the opportunity of a lifetime (on pay-per-view), and I blew it. I really blew it. I have nothing to blame it on. I'm not blaming it on the choke. I had a great training camp. Everything was great other than the fight. I have no excuses, none at all.

"I don't want to use the words 'reality check' or 'wake-up call,' but they didn't make an example out of me. They set the standard for fighters. They've made it clear that they're not going to accept that type of performance. I don't care who you are; they don't accept that kind of performance on the big stage."

Financially, Harris said he's fine for now. And sure, being released from the UFC was frustrating, but Harris isn't ruling out the potential for a return to the promotion at a later date.

"I was cut; I was not banned," Harris said. "It hurts to be cut. It's your job, and you lost your job, but I'm fine. My bills are paid. I don't have any debt. I don't have a new car. I didn't start living a lifestyle that I have to keep up now. I'm fine. That may surprise a lot of people, but I still roll in my raggedy car with the dents in it.

"I'm glad that Dana didn't say, 'You will never fight in the UFC again.' He said, 'You looked like [expletive], and you need to go home and think about it.' They just don't have time for performances like that."

It is a surprisingly positive outlook from a fighter who easily could have a chip on his shoulder right now. Instead, Harris said he wants to take the experience and turn it into something positive.

"It wasn't personal," Harris said. "It was just a business decision. I can't disagree with a business decision when there's money involved. We're paid to perform, and I did not perform on that night.

"I know what I have to do. I promise you this: The next time you see me fight, you're going to see a different person. I consider being cut a negative thing, but I'm going to try and make it a positive. This can give me an opportunity to fight in my hometown. This can give me the opportunity to make the changes I need to become a champion."

Harris' release from the UFC after posting a 3-1 record in the octagon unquestionably was one of the most controversial roster moves the promotion has ever made, as witnessed by the outpouring of support for Harris seen on message boards and forums across the Internet. But Harris isn't crying foul.

In fact, while he has yet to determine where he'll fight next, Harris promises the performance will be one of his best ever.

"I appreciate all the support from the fans," Harris said. "The fan response was amazing and meant a lot to me.

"I fought so hard to get into the UFC. I got cut off 'The Ultimate Fighter.' I fought three fights on the [preliminary card] to get to that main-card spot, and it just didn't go well. I went into that fight with an undercard mentality or a local-show mentality. You have to say, 'Man, I'm in the UFC. I'm on the biggest stage of my life. I have to step my game up.' I didn't do that.

"Being in the UFC alone is like being in the playoffs or March Madness. You have to step your game up. I'm a great fighter, but I did not step my game up that night. I'm going to make changes, and the next time everybody sees me fight, they'll notice the changes."

Cindy

9/12/13 7:22 PM
RollHighAllDay
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He will never live down the kid beating comment. I hope he doesn't actually beat his kids now. Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 7:27 PM
CindyO

Nevermind Gerald, I just saw your other post and realize you were just being politically correct in your interview.

Cindy

9/12/13 7:36 PM
12SixElbow
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC 154 (2013) = $30,000 ($15,000 to show, $15,000 win bonus)

UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald (2012) = $30,000 ($15,000 to show, $15,000 win bonus)

UFC 149 (2012) = $95,000 ($15,000 to show, $15,000 win bonus, $65,000 Submission of the Night bonus)

Given his SOTN bonus, he made $155,000 in 2012 + sponsorships.

9/12/13 7:39 PM
12SixElbow
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hurricane - 

MisterHawkeMMA - When I say I blew it  - I got my ass kicked live on PPV. That doesn't deserve a cut - It's kinda like fumbling the ball as a running back for a game winning play. You don't deserve to lose your job & you can't tell me that an 0-5, 1-4, or 0-3 guy has more leverage than I did - especially with the slam KO previously on UFC 116. Also, I think you gotta understand the "politically correct" view of my interview answers also.

1. You're a fucking animal

2. Never understood how you got cut. 3 - 1!? WTF. Your 3 wins were all finishes. Just assumed you pissed off the big guy or something?

9/12/13 7:40 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

JimmersonzGlove - 
BTT-RyannVonDoom - 
LILBROCK - 
Hurricane - 

I love how Dana rips the people that he cuts, but they NEVER EVER gave an explanation of why I was cut?  I see guys failing drug test, getting arrested, losing 3-5 fights in a row and still keep their job. I'm so tired of people still asking asking me why - I hope that he answers the question one day. Even MMA Live dodged the question.

Damn that sucks. Looking at your record with the UFC, I'd say an explanation was deserved. You fought for them 4 times in 11 months, finished 3 fights, and then lost a decision. Weird they'd cut you after going 3-1 and finishing every win.

he failed two drug tests over his career with the UFC. 

wat

I didnt read it clearly.. didnt realize it was about gerald harris.. my post was about Riddle.

9/12/13 7:41 PM
zazen br

As someone who smokes weed everyday...

Riddle dug his own grave.

Guess what? If you gonna be tested, don't fucking do it. Simply skip it. Save a huge blunt for after-fight party. But don't be a complete dumbass.

If you're this stupid and addicted and simply can't make it, you deserve to be cut and fail in your professional life.
9/12/13 9:12 PM
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I also want to touch on Gerald Harris.

That was one of the more unjustified cuts in UFC history, everyone is entitled to a bad night imo.

Unfortunately i think Dana tried to make an example out of
Harris, evincing implicitly that a subpar performance can lead to a fighter getting cut.

Harris is talented enough to be in the UFC, I hope he gets another opportunity, his release comes off as arbitrary and illogical.
9/12/13 10:15 PM
guilotine
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana is right, dumbass blew a great career and opportunity for weed. Even if he has a license, he knew it was against the commissions rules. Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 10:38 PM
ku3mm3t
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana rips Riddle. Riddle rips bongs. Phone Post
9/12/13 10:47 PM
ChrisJPN
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chupacabro - Doesn't the UFC hand out money back stage after the show in the form of "undisclosed bonuses"? And as the name suggests, aren't those numbers kept private? If so, how can uninformed fans know for sure how much a fighter makes? Phone Post 3.0

According to Meltzer, everyone on the undercard gets a $5000 bonus backstage.
9/12/13 10:47 PM
ChrisJPN
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mertvaya Ruka - holy shit, riddle fucked his family hard

At least he's not beating them.
9/12/13 11:46 PM
Mertvaya Ruka
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChrisJPN - 

how disappointed you think his family is?

he messed up the future of his kids.
9/13/13 12:51 AM
MattyECB
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MisterHawkeMMA - 
Hurricane - 

Your a green name. No one is going to keep it real with you. Shit, not even me lol. Because doing so is basically asking to get themselves banned from the site. But what I will share, is a quote I read around that time, that really made me a fan of the person who said it.

"I didn't show enough initiative to win the fight," Harris said. "If it was a [preliminary-card] fight, I probably wouldn't be in that much trouble, but they gave me the opportunity of a lifetime (on pay-per-view), and I blew it. I really blew it."

Really? He's fucking tentative for one fight, after getting three straight KOs/TKOs and you think he deserved to be cut.

Fucking Dan Hardy (Sorry if you're lurking Dan, I'm actually glad you didn't get cut) loses 4 straight, and certainly set off the streak in a tepid and embarassing fight, and he's A-OK.

There's no consistency, and it's even more ridiculous because this was a fighter ending fights and in exciting fashion. He had one bad fight and got cut with no reasoning whatsoever. It's the UFC's perogative, but that's one of the few cuts I absolutely can't side with BLAF on -- Fitch bugged me to, but everyone kinda saw that coming with their chemistry and his slide.
9/13/13 12:54 AM
MattyECB
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MisterHawkeMMA - 
Gobulcoque - Am I the only one that finds this whole interview embarrassing for the UFC? Why are they even talking about him, and why feel the need to expose the guys earnings and then berate and bully him on national TV? Well I guess dickbag Dana was never one to take the high road.

The UG should've posted Riddle and Dana's rants together so they would make sense.

But basically to anyone who didn't read it.... Riddle went on a rant saying that he can't pay his bills because the guys that run MMA are scumbags. He kept talking about how he has a wife and kids and that he's better off finding a real job because MMA is corrupt, etc.

My personal opinion. Riddle is an idiot. And Dana probably shouldn't have even wasted his time responding. Not sure if Riddle has any talents I'm unaware of, but in the "real" world making over $100,000 a year is not an easy thing to do. So, burning all of these bridges is just a really bad idea.

Also, as far as pay, Riddle seemed really happy about his pay as recent as earlier this year. He said that he makes $50,000 every win (he would be on a 4 fight winning streak in the UFC if he didn't fail two marijuana test).

http://www.lowkickmma.com/UFC/ufc_fighter_pay_travis_browne_matt_riddle_share_their_opinions_299261

I agree with everything Dana said, but this also seems kinda petty and overaggressive. No one who saw the stupid shit Riddle said were going to suddenly hate his product or give him bad press and it's not like he went out seeking the Culinary Union or something.

Probably coulda let this one slide, but Riddle certainly dug his own grave.
9/13/13 12:59 AM
ChrisJPN

Mertvaya Ruka -
ChrisJPN - 

how disappointed you think his family is?

he messed up the future of his kids.
Well, yeah, of course. I was making a dumb reference to the dumb thing Matt said about smoking weed so he doesn't beat his kids. Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 1:38 AM
CaliKush
438 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

's bong Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 1:39 AM
CanofPineapple

Guy had 12 FIGHTS in the UFC against NOBODIES and he has the nerve to whine about his career. He had one of the easiest UFC careers imaginable. He's a goofball and a baby.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.