UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Legendary Nights Returns This Fall on HBO

9/12/13 7:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KingOfFighters
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HBO Sports, honored nine times with the George Foster Peabody Award for broadcast excellence in sports documentaries, will produce an all-new installment of the acclaimed LEGENDARY NIGHTS boxing documentary series, celebrating the most memorable fights in the network’s 40 years of presenting the sweet science. LEGENDARY NIGHTS, which captured the Sports Emmy® Award for Outstanding Edited Sports Series when it debuted in 2003, will feature a retrospective on one of boxing’s greatest rivalries this fall, spotlighting the three-fight slugfest between Arturo Gatti and Micky Ward.

“With June 2013 marking the tenth anniversary of the third fight of the landmark Gatti vs. Ward trilogy, we believe now is the ideal moment to revisit this classic rivalry,” says Ken Hershman, president, HBO Sports. “This retrospective will offer new perspectives and deliver revealing insights on the two ring warriors who produced this all-time great moment in boxing history. We plan to present the special on a night with a major fight on HBO, ensuring a memorable night of boxing programming.”

The one-hour exclusive HBO Sports presentation LEGENDARY NIGHTS: THE TALE OF GATTI-WARD will revisit the unforgettable three-fight trilogy authored by junior welterweights Arturo Gatti of Jersey City, NJ and Micky Ward of Lowell, Mass. Over 13 months, these two throwback sluggers engaged in 30 electrifying rounds of action, with Gatti winning both Atlantic City bouts (Nov. 23, 2002 and June 7, 2003), following Ward’s dramatic triumph in the opener (May 18, 2002) in Uncasville, Conn.

The first 2002 battle was named Fight of the Year by the Boxing Writers Association of America, and the three fights have been widely celebrated as one of boxing’s greatest rivalries.

THE TALE OF GATTI-WARD will feature HBO Sports’ acclaimed blend of new interviews and thrilling fight action, highlighted by previously unseen archival footage. All three fights aired live on HBO and featured the ringside commentary of Jim Lampley, Larry Merchant and the late Emanuel Steward on the first and third fights. Lampley, Merchant and George Foreman called the second bout.

In a remarkable twist, Ward wound up being Gatti’s trainer for his final pro fight against Alfonso Gomez in July 2007. Gatti fought 21 times on HBO in his pro career, while Ward appeared six times on HBO.

The special will also be available on HBO On Demand® and HBO GO®.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/2013/legendary-nights-returns-this-fall-on-hbo/
9/12/13 8:13 AM
Flannerz
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish this would get shown in the UK
9/12/13 8:17 AM
Brian J DSouza

Sounds awesome. Thanks for posting.

9/12/13 4:59 PM
KingOfFighters

up
9/12/13 5:23 PM
EatonBeever
446 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome!  This was one of HBO's best short docs on big boxing fights... The golota-bowe one was great.   I hope they do a Oscar-Mayweather one,  Cotto-Margarito, Pac-Marquez for more modern ones.

9/12/13 5:34 PM
hellride
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chavez Taylor was the best Legendary Nights episode ever. I love this show.
9/15/13 8:32 AM
Brian J DSouza

hellride - Chavez Taylor was the best Legendary Nights episode ever. I love this show.

Agree, I've watched it many times. So well done. Catches so many pivotal moments.

9/15/13 9:56 AM
EatonBeever
446 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chavez / Taylor was amazing and was extremely sad....

Also, 30 for 30 is doing a Duran / Leonard documentary for those interested...

9/15/13 6:04 PM
Brian J DSouza

SRL is one of my favorite boxers. Duran has more street cred or perception of toughness, but SRL was just brilliant.

"Legendary Nights" helped me understand a lot and made me a fight fan.

9/15/13 6:13 PM
jcblass
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EatonBeever - 

Chavez/Taylor Legendary Nights was riveting. I downloaded that entire 1st season and can't say one of them was really better than the other, they all were so perfectly made. I am really looking forward to this.

I particularly like the Holyfield v. Bowe 1 segment when they were talking about that epic 10th round.
9/15/13 7:38 PM
KingOfFighters

EatonBeever -

when will it be aires? i love me some duran leanard Phone Post
9/16/13 8:26 PM
Brian J DSouza

TTT

9/16/13 8:31 PM
tefoak
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingOfFighters -
EatonBeever -

I was wondering that as well.. if someone would be so kind as to point us all in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Phone Post
9/16/13 10:55 PM
vandelay
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The old ones are amazing! ! Love HBO sports too excellent production Phone Post
9/16/13 11:15 PM
Arzn1ck
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pkueYMWWxuc Phone Post 3.0
9/16/13 11:19 PM
brahmabull81
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive watched the old ones numerous times. My favotire sports related docs for sure. Too bad Bert Sugar cant be in this.. :(
9/16/13 11:30 PM
YousHerName
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Praise jesus. Phone Post
9/17/13 2:37 AM
Melissa
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

STOKED! Phone Post 3.0
9/17/13 3:09 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
9/18/13 6:15 PM
vandelay

tefoak -
KingOfFighters -
EatonBeever -

I was wondering that as well.. if someone would be so kind as to point us all in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Phone Post
Same here Phone Post
9/18/13 6:23 PM
EatonBeever

30 for 30 presents 'No Mas'  Directed by Eric Drath  October 15, 2013 
An inside look at the two boxing matches between Sugar Ray Leonard and Roberto Duran in the 1980s, with the help of boxing experts, family members and the two fighters themselves.

9/18/13 7:35 PM
PrettyBoy
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love this show Phone Post 3.0
9/18/13 8:02 PM
Chris27

VU OP

Awesome news.  Show is so great, happy to see it return.

9/18/13 8:03 PM
Chris27

EatonBeever - 

30 for 30 presents 'No Mas'  Directed by Eric Drath  October 15, 2013 
An inside look at the two boxing matches between Sugar Ray Leonard and Roberto Duran in the 1980s, with the help of boxing experts, family members and the two fighters themselves.

VU

Def watching that one.  30/30 are also great.

10/16/13 6:02 PM
EatonBeever

HBO Sports, winner of nine George Foster Peabody Awards and 33 Sports Emmys® for documentaries, presents a new installment of the acclaimed LEGENDARY NIGHTS boxing documentary series this month when THE TALE OF GATTI-WARD looks back at one of boxing’s greatest rivalries, spotlighting the three-fight slugfest between Arturo Gatti and Micky Ward. Blending archival footage and new material shot this summer, the exclusive HBO presentation debuts SATURDAY, OCT. 19 (12 midnigh ET/PT), exclusively on HBO, immediately following “World Championship Boxing: Mike Alvarado vs. Ruslan Provodnikov,” which begins at 9:45 p.m.

Other HBO playdates: Oct. 21 (9:15 a.m.), 24 (5:10 p.m., 12:05 a.m.), 26 (11:00 a.m., 4:45 a.m.) and 30 (1:00 p.m., 1:00 a.m.), and Nov. 3 (7:55 a.m.), 7 (9:00 p.m.) and 15 (7:30 p.m.)

HBO2 playdates: Oct. 23 (6:00 a.m., 10:00 p.m.) and 29 (11:30 p.m., 4:50 a.m.), and Nov. 2 (2:45 p.m.), 10 (8:45 a.m.) and 12 (4:30 p.m.)

The special will also be available on HBO On Demand and HBO GO.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.