UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Pena: I made Ronda Rousey cry and I love it

9/12/13 11:41 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

You never know what is going to happen in MMA, which is why you have the fight.

Tara LaRosa, with a 21-3 record and over a decade in the sport was an early favorite to win TUF 18. She didn't make past the opening round to get into the house.

Shayna Baszler, also with a decade of professional experience, held wins over UFC fighters Alexis Davis and Julie Kedzie, and was also an early and heavy favorite.

In the run up to last night's fight vs. Julianna "The Venezulan Vixen" Pena, both Baszler and Rousey were pointedly confident.

“I’m not gonna lose to her,” Baszler said before the fight. “She doesn’t deserve to be in the same ring with me. She should be coming to my seminars and learning.”

Rousey echoed similar sentiments.

“Shayna’s great, she’s ready," said Rousey. "This other girl doesn’t deserve to breathe the same air as her, and she knows it.”

Then Baszler tapped to a rear naked choke in the second round.

In an interview with MMAFighting's  Shaun Al-Shatti, Pena opened up about the win

Shaun Al-Shatti: Shayna, in particular, really poured it on. She said you should've been coming to her seminars. She repeated that sort of sentiment over and over throughout the episode.

Julianna Pena: Yep, and it hurt her. When she's on the bed talking about how I'm not the girl to put the stamp on her, from her body language, it didn't look like she was really believing it. She was just talking to talk. For them to say things like, I don't deserve to breathe the same air as Shayna, or, I can't hold a candle to anybody she's fought -- it just really backfired. If she's not going to be a little more humble in the future, maybe she should. Because I think, personally, she looks extremely stupid. It should make her take a little piece of that humble pie and shove it down her throat.

SA: Ronda got incredibly emotional afterward. Was that just for the cameras or did you guys see that too?

JP: No, I didn't see that. But I definitely saw the dynamics change between her and Miesha after that. Obviously they've had their tiffs in the past, but for the most part, they were cordial with one another. Me and Miesha both agreed, ‘Hmmm, Ronda's being nice. This is kinda weird.' And then, bang! Right after that fight against Shayna, it flipped a switch. After that Ronda was a nightmare. She just couldn't stand the fact that I took out her No. 1 pick. And yeah, it made her cry. That's great. I made Ronda Rousey cry and I love it.

SA: When Ronda got angry and chastised Miesha for smiling after your win, you were right there. Was Miesha doing anything disrespectful or ridiculous, or was Ronda just being dramatic?

JP: Absolutely not. That was Ronda being a big baby. She was so upset that I won, she was trying to look for anything to use as an excuse to talk crap to Miesha. And she found it. Miesha was obviously happy for me. Miesha has competed against Shanya herself and has known Shayna for a while. Shayna is her friend. So for Ronda to be like, ‘You were laughing at my girl's pain! That's the reason why I'm going to destroy you!' It was like, again, it's just so dumb. Grow up. Miesha knows Shanya. They're friends. She's not smiling at her pain. She's happy for me. Only Ronda would twist those type of emotions into something that would make it bad. Because that's the way she thinks.

Read entire article...

9/12/13 11:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChaosOverkill
522 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ALl good logical points, great win for Pena. Rousey is certifiable 

9/12/13 11:47 AM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ronda is turning into the Nick Diaz of female fighters, shit is crazy man. The last time I saw a 180 like this is when Hollywood Hogan went NWO
9/12/13 11:50 AM
Hong Kong Phooey
882 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilil ilol ilol

9/12/13 11:54 AM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/12/13 11:54 AM

Great interview. Pena is telling it like it is. It was extremely stupid of Shayna to talk that much shit about Pena. Losing to her, especially in that fashion, makes her look horrible.

When facing opponents, even if you think [ or know] that they're tomato cans, you need to give them credit... especially when talking about them to the public. It makes your victory look that much better.

I can see why GSP fights "scared and safe". Even if his opponent is a can, he fights him as if he was fighting the greatest fighter ever. After that fight, Shayna was drowning in a pool of shame.

9/12/13 12:01 PM
ChaosOverkill
522 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YouCantHandleMyRiddum - 

Great interview. Pena is telling it like it is. It was extremely stupid of Shayna to talk that much shit about Pena. Losing to her, especially in that fashion, makes her look horrible.

When facing opponents, even if you think [ or know] that they're tomato cans, you need to give them credit... especially when talking about them to the public. It makes your victory look that much better.

I can see why GSP fights "scared and safe". Even if his opponent is a can, he fights him as if he was fighting the greatest fighter ever. After that fight, Shayna was drowning in a pool of shame.

Yeah the whole inteview was just mentioning facts not big upping herself besides making bullies cry. Shayna ONLY talks about herself and Ronda didn't even go over strategy with her.

9/12/13 12:12 PM
Kostakio
487 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like this girl a lot. Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 12:13 PM
Phil999

ChaosOverkill - 
YouCantHandleMyRiddum - 

Yeah the whole inteview was just mentioning facts not big upping herself besides making bullies cry. Shayna ONLY talks about herself and Ronda didn't even go over strategy with her.

How do you know that Ronda didn't discuss strategy at some point?
9/12/13 12:20 PM
ChaosOverkill

Edited: 09/12/13 12:20 PM
Phil999 - 
ChaosOverkill - 
YouCantHandleMyRiddum - 

There's a quote where she said it at least I read one last hour here, I kind of skip over when Ronda speaks on TV her nasally voice is horrendous

9/12/13 12:22 PM
Phil999

ChaosOverkill - 
Phil999 - 
ChaosOverkill - 
YouCantHandleMyRiddum - 

There's a quote where she said it at least I read one last hour here, I kind of skip over when Ronda speaks on TV her nasally voice is horrendous

Oh okay I haven't watched it.
9/12/13 12:25 PM
BravoPUA
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GREAT fight

LOVED how it turned around like that, and she nailed it with that interview

and I am a Ronda fan...hopefully I still am after this season
9/12/13 12:25 PM
Wasa-B
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Am i the only one that cant give a fck about TUF and the TMZ aspect of the fighters and only tune in to watch them fight?
9/12/13 12:28 PM
Phil999

I don't have free TUF this season as I was paying too much for cable so I dropped to a lower plan. Other years I PVR'd it and just fast forward to the fights. Too much stupid stuff going on in the house and highly edited film distort things.
9/12/13 12:30 PM
Sofa King Cool
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You laughed at my girls pain! You'll pay for this Meisha! Phone Post
9/12/13 12:33 PM
ChaosOverkill

Edited: 09/12/13 12:42 PM
Wasa-B - Am i the only one that cant give a fck about TUF and the TMZ aspect of the fighters and only tune in to watch them fight?

I gave the drama 2 episodes this time, now I will do just that, Fast Forward to the fights, the drama is absurdly cringe worthy bad.

"SHe is nothing, if I were her I would kill myself because she is stealing my air"

"As her coach since yesterday I agree with that classy sentiment"

"I am arbitrarily on her team since yesterday, so I agree also with my new teamate SINCE YESTERDAY, her opponent should kill herself you are a lower class of life for doing the same sport."

(Slight exaggeration)

Rinse repeat. Enough.

9/12/13 12:40 PM
Kirik
1678 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/12/13 12:43 PM
The UnderGround, Mayor
Augustus_Caesar_Showtime'd_My_Butthole - Shaun Al-Shatti? WTF is this Al Jazeera MMA?

Not only that but I have heard allegations that Ariel Helwani is a Jew. Dave Doyle sounds Irish. And Guilherme Cruz is a notorious Mexicaner.

9/12/13 12:49 PM
Wasa-B
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill - 
Wasa-B - Am i the only one that cant give a fck about TUF and the TMZ aspect of the fighters and only tune in to watch them fight?

I gave the drama 2 episodes this time, now I will do just that, Fast Forward to the fights, the drama is absurdly cringe worthy bad.

"SHe is nothing, if I were her I would kill myself because she is stealing my air"

"I am arbitrarily on her team since yesterday, so I agree also with my new teamate SINCE YESTERDAY, her opponent should kill herself you are a lower class of life for doing the same sport."

(Slight exaggeration)

Rinse repeat. Enough.

i actually meant the actual show cards....if im turning channels and land on TUF and their fighting, ill watch. Girls or guys, the drama shit is the gayest shit on earth and the UG eats it the fck up, so funny. so knowing this, cant blame Zuffa for continuing with the TUF push at all.

A real TUF would be mostly training footage, coaching in terms of tech, strategies, sports pyschology, etc. The show would then only appeal to about 15% of the current viewership though.
9/12/13 12:50 PM
man meets fate

And shayna wondered why she never made it to the big shows yet.....now she knows why
9/12/13 12:56 PM
ChaosOverkill

Wasa-B - 
ChaosOverkill - 

(Slight exaggeration)

Rinse repeat. Enough.

i actually meant the actual show cards....if im turning channels and land on TUF and their fighting, ill watch. Girls or guys, the drama shit is the gayest shit on earth and the UG eats it the fck up, so funny. so knowing this, cant blame Zuffa for continuing with the TUF push at all.

A real TUF would be mostly training footage, coaching in terms of tech, strategies, sports pyschology, etc. The show would then only appeal to about 15% of the current viewership though.

ahh kk, I stopped watching the last Brazil TUF and I found I had zero interest in the final card because I hadn't seen any of the fighters fight so I at least want to fast forward to their fights this season. But I agree overall.

The technical aspects of MMA seem to be something the UFC do not think the casuals ever want to see in abundance and that's a shame.

9/12/13 1:08 PM
youarewhatiswrong
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 
Augustus_Caesar_Showtime'd_My_Butthole - Shaun Al-Shatti? WTF is this Al Jazeera MMA?

Not only that but I have heard allegations that Ariel Helwani is a Jew. Dave Doyle sounds Irish. And Guilherme Cruz is a notorious Mexicaner.

The preceding statements are the opinions of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the beiliefs of the mma.tv staff.
9/12/13 1:09 PM
Haulport

THIS is exactly why I stopped watching TUF years ago.......
9/12/13 1:17 PM
CaliKush
363 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Girls are emotional !!! Pena is a future star imo Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 1:33 PM
GregNoActionJackson
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

Lmao. Best possible response Phone Post
9/12/13 1:53 PM
You're a Good Boy

Good job Pena. Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 2:15 PM
SOO72

What probably happens, Pena loses next round or sometime before the finals and they make a rematch between her and Baszler on TUF finale.. where Baszler comes in with better cardio and proceeds to smash her for 3 rounds.

Don't get me wrong, Baszler deserved to get blasted with her attitude and it doesn't appear like she's learned anything from it yet. Her and Tate would have made a better coach/student team in that sense.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.