UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Kron Gracie plans MMA debut in 2014

9/15/13 8:37 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Back in 2012 BJJ legend Rickson Gracie predicted son Kron would make his MMA debut in the next couple of years.

“Kid, if Kron doesn’t make his debut in 2013, it’ll be at the latest in 2014," said Rickson to interviewer Mario Filho on the Portuguese-language online show OSS. Indeed, Kron has been preparing his entire life.

Rickson Gracie never lost a jiu-jitsu match, and tapped every opponent. As a purple and brown belt Kron went on a parallel tear, going 51-0, with 51 wins by submission. Awarded a black belt by his father in 2008, Kron has also competed successfully as a black belt, taking silver at the 2011 World Jiu-Jitsu Championship and bronze at the 2011 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship.

And now it appears that Kron's MMA debut will happen next year, in 2014.

Tatame magazine reports that Kron, 25, has been training with Jake Shields, Gilbert Melendez and the Diaz brothers.

"It was awesome train with them," Kron told Tatame Magazine as transcribed by MMAFighting. "I’m going there all the time to train. The experience of training with the veterans gives me more confidence to get inside a ring and show my best."

"I believe I’ll make my MMA debut next year, that’s my next step. I would move away from jiu-jitsu competitions for a while to focus on that. It’s a truer fight, there’s no guard… It’s you and another man going to war. It’s truer than jiu-jitsu."

"I want to be way better than my father was. There’s no other option for me. I will be better than him or I won’t even try. If I see him as a parameter, I see him as someone to surpass. If there were some other people, the best in the world, I would train to be better than him.

"I always think of Pride and want to be recognized for maintaining this line of my family. I won’t fight with strategy or points. I’m curious, I think it would be nice."

Although the sport was born from the efforts of the Gracie family, the family has not produced an MMA champion in some time. While the second generation of the family produced Carlson, Rickson, Royce, and Royler the third has not proved to be nearly as dominant in MMA, with the sport evolving and the pool of talent widening and deepening.

Thus countless BJJ devotees eagerly await the fighting debut of Rickson's youngest son.

9/15/13 8:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
teamquestnorth
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thats a big goal. Better than helio or your not going to try? Phone Post
9/15/13 8:41 AM
teamquestnorth

Nvm he said father Phone Post
9/15/13 8:59 AM
mose
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/15/13 9:01 AM
To me, this isn't good news. I really what Metamoris to be a regular event, and Kron being off focusing on MMA seems to limit the chance of that.

I am not thrilled about seeing top BJJ stars cross into MMA. I like watching them face each other in their actual primary sport.

9/15/13 9:00 AM
pennviachoke
1103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WAR KRON Phone Post
9/15/13 9:30 AM
ChipW
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"It's a truer fight, there is no guard....,".

That's an interesting perspective and one I wouldn't expect from Kron. Phone Post
9/15/13 9:36 AM
Flexo
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heh, Kron training with the Chronic fighters. Phone Post 3.0
9/15/13 10:44 AM
crowbar
719 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope that he doesn`t take as long as Kyra.

9/15/13 10:49 AM
Weidman_wild_each_it

Weight 155?

Kron has always seemed small for his bjj weight class. I think he could be in the 145 lb division but he goes into the 170-180 lb class. I bet its his fathers weight class and he chooses to rep it instead of cutting a few pounds for lw.
9/15/13 11:07 AM
teamquestnorth

Lets include boxing ones too for extra laughs. Phone Post
9/15/13 11:09 AM
teamquestnorth

teamquestnorth - Lets include boxing ones too for extra laughs. Phone Post
Dammit wrong thread Phone Post
9/15/13 11:15 AM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChokeEmOut -

And here comes yet another Gracie into MMA unprepared. They just will never understand or accept reality.

Kron should be putting time in at camps like Alpha Male. Training with Diaz and crew is playing to yuor strengths and a bad start if he wants to be successful.

He needs to be working with some powerful wrestlers with heavy hands so he can be sharp on sprawling and wrestling for position and scrambles. His BJJ is elite...but damnit that means nothing in MMA without having your wrestling and striking up to par.

I would like to see him be a success, he has a good mindset and work ethic is crazy but if it's not put into the right camp and training, it's all for not.

Kron, go to Team Alpha Male

This, I'm tired of watching Gracie 's get KOd Phone Post
9/15/13 11:17 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/15/13 11:35 AM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has Kron also mastered the Ric Flair flop? Phone Post 3.0
9/15/13 11:36 AM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fryingarmbar - Has Kron also mastered the Ric Flair flop? Phone Post 3.0
lol posted before I saw the gif Phone Post 3.0
9/15/13 12:01 PM
MOAOZINHO

NorthFromHere - 

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!!
9/15/13 12:07 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They can build him up quickly with the right fights

Aggressive sub game, athletic, hopefully he has a chin, will be cool to see Rickson in his corner for MMA
9/15/13 12:23 PM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MOAOZINHO - 
NorthFromHere - 

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!!

Gracie in action
9/15/13 12:35 PM
I got sunnyKO'd by CC
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another Gracie that'll come and lose 5 fights and be cut. Phone Post 3.0
9/15/13 12:36 PM
UGCTT_Dinamita
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm excited to see his debut. He's one of my favorite BJJ guys Phone Post 3.0
9/15/13 12:40 PM
Judge Mental
674 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kron is not NEARLY as good as or as dominant in BJJ as his father was. He just isn't.

That said he is athletic and a warrior and should do ok if he can find his hands.

9/15/13 1:11 PM
forumnewb

ChokeEmOut - 

And here comes yet another Gracie into MMA unprepared. They just will never understand or accept reality.

Kron should be putting time in at camps like Alpha Male. Training with Diaz and crew is playing to yuor strengths and a bad start if he wants to be successful.

He needs to be working with some powerful wrestlers with heavy hands so he can be sharp on sprawling and wrestling for position and scrambles. His BJJ is elite...but damnit that means nothing in MMA without having your wrestling and striking up to par.

I would like to see him be a success, he has a good mindset and work ethic is crazy but if it's not put into the right camp and training, it's all for not.

Kron, go to Team Alpha Male

9/15/13 1:44 PM
Sudo21
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judge Mental - 

Kron is not NEARLY as good as or as dominant in BJJ as his father was. He just isn't.

That said he is athletic and a warrior and should do ok if he can find his hands.

His father had tough competition, but i'd say competition these days is much stronger and dangerous. Kron also took bronze at ADCC which is elite.
9/15/13 2:13 PM
TheThrill
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cant wait to see it
9/15/13 6:10 PM
factchecker

Edited: 09/15/13 6:10 PM
I would like to see him fight Shinya Aoki, because that their grappling match was considered controversial by some (Aoki looked like he thought the referee asked them to stop).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.