UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Royce Criticizes New Generation Of The Family

9/16/13 5:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Taz Styles
3262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/16/4738052/royce-gracie-criticizes-new-generation-of-the-family

Being a member of the Gracie family makes you more respected in the MMA world, but that does not guarantee you the victory.

Neiman Gracie was the only one of the three Gracie members to win at WSOF 5 this past Saturday night, and Royce Gracie believes the reason why his family isn’t winning most of their fights anymore is because they are forgetting their roots.

"Jiu-jitsu is enough," Royce Gracie told MMAFighting.com. "I’ve trained boxing in the past to learn the distance, trained wrestling to understand how he would take me down, but I won’t get there to fight my opponent’s game. The (new) guys (from the Gracie) family want to complement their game, like if jiu-jitsu was incomplete. I guess they forgot a little about history."

Gregor and Rolles Gracie both lost at WSOF 5, and that dropped the family record to 3-4 in 2013. Over the past decades, Royce, Renzo and Rickson have racked up 32 wins in 44 bouts combined, a winning rate of 72.72 percent. Since 2000, however, that number has dropped to 58.82 percent with the family’s 60 wins in 102 fights.

"I do jiu-jitsu my whole life, so why would I try to stand and bang with Mike Tyson?," he said. "I’m going to learn boxing in six months because my opponent is good in boxing? That makes no sense."

Roger, Renzo and Rolles have fought recently in the UFC, and all of them lost their bouts inside the Octagon. Tim Kennedy was the last man to deliver a loss to a Gracie member in the UFC with a decision win over Roger Gracie last July.

Royce believes Roger Gracie, one of the best jiu-jitsu fighters of all times, needs to focus on what he does best.

"Roger, like any other member of the family, is trying to learn wrestling, boxing," he said. "I believe in pure jiu-jitsu. That’s what I’ve done in the past. You have to go back to your roots and train Gracie jiu-jitsu."

"Tim Kennedy is one of the toughest guys in my opinion," he continued. "If Roger had defeated him, he’d have deserved a title shot. Tim Kennedy is really, really tough. Why they cut Roger I really don’t know either, I have no idea.

9/16/13 5:30 PM
Humanityisthedevil
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royce is a legend, but I have to disagree with his analysis.
9/16/13 5:31 PM
canofsticks
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Respect where respect is due...but I couldn't disagree more.
9/16/13 5:35 PM
ChaosOverkill
649 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Legend, but Sakuraba proved it isn't enough sorry. He proved Catch-wrestling could equal it and beat it.

Great grappling and cardio, is maybe enough, but not always  either

9/16/13 5:44 PM
CrazyPope
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Couldn't disagree with him more tbh
9/16/13 5:46 PM
TheOne
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its gotta suck when Royce and his brothers were pretty dominant and now he see's the new generation trying to stand and wang all the time.

I understand they want to be well rounded but when you have THAT level of JJ, it boggles my mind why you would do anything but sub everybody everytime.

9/16/13 5:48 PM
JStrongMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea...much respect but I disagree. If your opponent has adequate bjj defense to stay out of submissions and wrestling to keep the fight where he wants it and you are relying soley on bjj then you sir are fucked. Phone Post
9/16/13 5:50 PM
MattyJ
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I understand where he's coming from as in why fight your opponent where their strongest but its a different game these days as we've seen with Roger even being elite in Jiujitsu isn't enough any more Phone Post 3.0
9/16/13 5:52 PM
Wicked smahtMF

incorrect
9/16/13 5:55 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

Because Gracies are not very good athletes
9/16/13 6:09 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1063 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the new gracies are fighting welll rounded opponents

9/16/13 6:12 PM
Oontyex

Legend of the sport, but Royce made his mma reputation tapping out guts that not only didn't know any Jiu Jitsu buy also generally weren't very good grapplers and didn't understand the ground game.

Totally different to the current playing field where the UFC has the best in the world who are extensively training in kickboxing wrestling and Jiu Jitsu. I think he's being very unfair to the new generation - if anything that attitude from Royce 's generation, not exposing the new generation of family fighters to wrestling and kickboxing , is hurting them when they go pro Phone Post 3.0
9/16/13 6:16 PM
Devlin
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think what he means is they are getting away from their strengths, like maia towards the end.of.his time at 185.

Too keen to showcase average striking and not keen enough to come in looking to.grapple. Phone Post
9/16/13 6:19 PM
Errk
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's why Matt Hughes stomped him.
9/16/13 6:27 PM
Quickash1t

Well what he is saying isn't really incorrect. He stated he trained boxing/wrestling to learn distances and such. which isn't really the same as not learning anything else. Just when you get to the ring fight your fight not your oppenents. 

9/16/13 6:28 PM
UGCTT_Benwahwah
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RonysTorresIceBag - "I believe in pure jiu-jitsu. That’s what I’ve done in the past..."

And nandrolone. Definitely nandrolone.
This is totally disrespectful. But made me laugh like a little girl. Phone Post 3.0
9/16/13 6:34 PM
Blunderhooks
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's amazing how Royce's mind is trapped in 1995. Phone Post 3.0
9/16/13 6:35 PM
Ocean6

Didn't Rickson recently admit it takes more than just BJJ?
9/16/13 6:35 PM
lueng jon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pure Jiu Jitsu with some PED's on the side.
9/16/13 6:45 PM
ajl416az

UGCTT_Benwahwah - 
RonysTorresIceBag - "I believe in pure jiu-jitsu. That’s what I’ve done in the past..."

And nandrolone. Definitely nandrolone.
This is totally disrespectful. But made me laugh like a little girl. Phone Post 3.0

not disrespectful if its true
9/16/13 6:51 PM
teamquestnorth
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man that kind of advice from royce to someone like kron for example could get him hurt. Guess what royce if you cant take your opponent down, your going to be forced to stand and trade. Well you can buttscoot but nobodies falling for that. Also beating Tim Kennedy means you should get a title shot? Come on man. I respect and admire royce as much as anyone but thats just a really bad view on his part. Phone Post
9/16/13 6:57 PM
TheOne
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

teamquestnorth -  Man that kind of advice from royce to someone like kron for example could get him hurt. Guess what royce if you cant take your opponent down, your going to be forced to stand and trade. Well you can buttscoot but nobodies falling for that. Also beating Tim Kennedy means you should get a title shot? Come on man. I respect and admire royce as much as anyone but thats just a really bad view on his part. Phone Post

Not to be "that guy" but if you cant take your opponent down you can pull guard... (thats different that butt scooting)

9/16/13 6:58 PM
muaythai1622
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I respect Royce a lot, but that like saying an NFL team going back to strictly the wishbone offense with no passing will win in modern football. It's called evolution. Phone Post 3.0
9/16/13 6:59 PM
clonditdry

1. Royce is completely wrong.

2. He is still thinking/living in the dinosaur age

3. He got dominated in modern day MMA by guys that were nowhere near as good as the top level guys now

4. He got popped for roids and still got dominated.

/end thread.
9/16/13 7:01 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even if what Royce is saying is true (which is doubtful), the problem with using pure BJJ in modern MMA is that the current ruleset and judges are against you. Even if you have a practitioner with good takedowns, a lot of the judges don't seem to give much weight toward BJJ when they score rounds. Unless you can make your opponent look silly like Maia did to Fitch, if your opponent manages to outstrike you or especially manages to get on top of you/keep you against the cage for a couple minutes, many judges will give the opponent the round even if you got close with a few subs.

Pettis threatened the hell out of Guida and Torres did the same to MM but the judges said they lost and we all know it's because if you're on the bottom you're automatically losing to most MMA judges. The BJJ practitioner can only win with it from the top or the back because of the judges.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.