UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> FightMatrix launches P4P rankings

9/19/13 11:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Herring In A Fur Coat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/30/13 3:11 PM
FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings

For a long time, we've avoided publishing any type of "pound-for-pound" rankings, as we felt that the whole idea of P4P is too subjective to be evaluated by a statistical ranking system.  Instead we published Division Dominance ranking - a similar concept, yet very different from a traditional P4P.

It took some work, but we finally came up with an algorithm to simulate a traditional pound-for-pound list:

Men’s Pound-for-Pound Top 15

Women’s Pound-for-Pound Top 10

What do you think of these?

9/20/13 12:28 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

Cruz is not even in consideration for this list or any other of our rankings due to inactivity.

Barao just needs more fights against top level competition - he's fough a ton of no-namers before WEC.  Cruz got nothing to do with it.

9/20/13 10:17 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

ttt

9/20/13 10:23 AM
BJ Penn Forever
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love fightmatrix ranking system. It is perhaps the most solid system in the world. Better than the MMA media ranking crap the UFC uses.

9/20/13 11:15 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

Thanks BJPF!

9/20/13 11:16 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

A lot more new features and other good stuff coming very soon... I only wish I had more time to dedicate to this project.

9/20/13 11:19 AM
Card
2175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FightMatrix > all

9/20/13 11:21 AM
Card
2175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh... and I love the hover over you can do on the fighters. I just wish the hover over would work on the events page. Because I find myself using the events page the most. Would be awesome if you could add the hover over functionality on that page.

Thanks. =)

9/20/13 11:26 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

Thanks Card.  A hover on the event page might be something I could get up and running quickly, will take a look at how much effort that would take.

9/20/13 11:41 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

Ask and you shall receive... hover away!

http://www.fightmatrix.com/upcoming-events/UFC-165---Jones-vs.-Gustafsson/30249/

9/20/13 11:47 PM
ChaosOverkill
650 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting use of their stats and math for a unique ranking

9/20/13 11:52 PM
plastekt

How did the female one work? Did Fujii get any credit for her close decision losses to still have her ranked 4th? I'm guessing not because Aguilar is still ranked ahead and it was just a cumulative thing like LaRosa's. I was going to say that I was surprised by Honchak's rating but her winning streak is really impressive looking at it.
9/20/13 11:53 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

The formula for men and women is the same.

Big win streaks and undefeated fighters get a bump in this rating.

9/21/13 12:41 AM
plastekt

Herring In A Fur Coat - 

Do you think there's a further possibility of sabremetrics in MMA outside of or in addition to fightmetrics/matrix-type stuff? Or are you satisfied with just doing what you're already doing?
9/21/13 12:55 AM
zebers3
542 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel like there needs to be something else accounted for. The fact that Jorgensen is only the #36 BW seems ridiculous. He stomps everyone outside of the top 10. His last few losses were literally all top 5 guys. That makes no sense that he is 36. Same with Bowles at #57 and Menjivar at #61. These rankings are terrible for all of these guys. They should all be around the top 20.

The system works out well for most of the top of the divisions, although it seems that win streaks matter a bit too much rather than who those wins are against. But for the most part its alright, but I don't see how anyone could possibly argue these fighters being ranked so terribly. 

9/21/13 3:21 AM
TheFaintingGOATClownedAwayMySN
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let me bang bro says:
September 20, 2013 at 12:30 pm
where brock lesnar at son
why you done gone fucked up yo shit yo

One of the comments on the site Phone Post 3.0
9/21/13 3:34 AM
Calavaro
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was better than expected.
I assume it takes into account current status only (eg. very little weight on previous results past x fights), and places most weight on the very last fight?
9/21/13 5:01 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
564 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where would Anderson have been had he defeated Weidman or that fight never happened? Phone Post
9/21/13 5:08 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
564 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ Penn Forever - Love fightmatrix ranking system. It is perhaps the most solid system in the world. Better than the MMA media ranking crap the UFC uses.

Still some rankings that have me pretty confused though. Phone Post
9/21/13 5:55 AM
BJ Penn Forever
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like how the fightmatrix system takes the human emotional appeal and bias out of the process of ranking though. The system analyzes results of fights and orders things accordingly. Human emotional bias can make for worse rankings. For example, I would rank female fighters with nice faces, perky breasts and nice asses far higher than women beat with the ugly stick.

It may not be a perfect system but it is the best system the sport has. If I was an upcoming pro I would love to be able to track myself go from 480th in the world to 156 in the world. The system would be providing feedback that you are winning fights and winning fights against fighters that matter.
9/21/13 4:27 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

TheFaintingGOATClownedAwayMySN - Let me bang bro says:
September 20, 2013 at 12:30 pm
where brock lesnar at son
why you done gone fucked up yo shit yo

One of the comments on the site Phone Post 3.0

That's a UGer no doubt.

9/21/13 4:28 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Where would Anderson have been had he defeated Weidman or that fight never happened? Phone Post

Can't say for sure but most likely #1

9/21/13 4:29 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

Calavaro - That was better than expected.
I assume it takes into account current status only (eg. very little weight on previous results past x fights), and places most weight on the very last fight?

Essentially that's how all our rankings work - the more recent the fight, the more heavily it's weighted.

9/21/13 4:30 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

plastekt - 
Herring In A Fur Coat - 

Do you think there's a further possibility of sabremetrics in MMA outside of or in addition to fightmetrics/matrix-type stuff? Or are you satisfied with just doing what you're already doing?

We're always working on adding more features, and are open to suggestions.

9/21/13 4:31 PM
EvilMaster

I didn't check the link, but if these guys are smart enough to realize that Georges is the #1 pound for pound fighter on the planet. Then they got that part right. If they listed somebody like Jones or Anderson as #1, then they are falling for Dana's bullshit and their rankings ain't worth shit.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.