UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> FightMatrix launches P4P rankings

9/21/13 4:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Herring In A Fur Coat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
zebers3 - 

I feel like there needs to be something else accounted for. The fact that Jorgensen is only the #36 BW seems ridiculous. He stomps everyone outside of the top 10. His last few losses were literally all top 5 guys. That makes no sense that he is 36. Same with Bowles at #57 and Menjivar at #61. These rankings are terrible for all of these guys. They should all be around the top 20.

The system works out well for most of the top of the divisions, although it seems that win streaks matter a bit too much rather than who those wins are against. But for the most part its alright, but I don't see how anyone could possibly argue these fighters being ranked so terribly. 

It's easy to nitpick individual rankings, but on average the rating system correctly predicts nearly 70% of the fights - take any three upcoming fights between two ranked fighters, and the higher ranked will win 2 out of 3 on average.  

9/21/13 4:34 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

EvilMaster - I didn't check the link, but if these guys are smart enough to realize that Georges is the #1 pound for pound fighter on the planet. Then they got that part right. If they listed somebody like Jones or Anderson as #1, then they are falling for Dana's bullshit and their rankings ain't worth shit.

LOL

9/21/13 4:35 PM
tito fett

Weidman higher than silva is silly, and Johnny Hendricks doesn't deserve to be 10. Other people like JDS and Frankie deserve it more. Phone Post 3.0
9/21/13 4:49 PM
EvilMaster

Herring In A Fur Coat - 
EvilMaster - I didn't check the link, but if these guys are smart enough to realize that Georges is the #1 pound for pound fighter on the planet. Then they got that part right. If they listed somebody like Jones or Anderson as #1, then they are falling for Dana's bullshit and their rankings ain't worth shit.

LOL

;)
9/21/13 5:02 PM
The Mouth

It is still Silva.

9/21/13 5:05 PM
yabadaba
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tito fett - Weidman higher than silva is silly, and Johnny Hendricks doesn't deserve to be 10. Other people like JDS and Frankie deserve it more. Phone Post 3.0

If it had been a close decision I could see what you're saying but Weidman finished him and right now he should be higher than Anderson IMO.

9/21/13 5:11 PM
Dmoney35
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

silva that far down is retarded. didn't lose for 8 years while Cain lost 2-3 fights ago? Phone Post 3.0
9/21/13 5:18 PM
yabadaba
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ You could move Anderson above Cain but you can't really move him ahead of GSP, JBJ, Aldo or the guy he just got KTFO against. So that only moves him up one spot.

9/21/13 5:28 PM
DaemonDragon
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you switched the Matt Hamill "loss" into a win, would that make Jones #1 P4P?

Or is that fight too old.
9/22/13 12:47 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

DaemonDragon - If you switched the Matt Hamill "loss" into a win, would that make Jones #1 P4P?

Or is that fight too old.

The fight outcome itself won't make a huge difference, but being undefeated would give Jones a boost on this list.

9/22/13 1:36 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1018 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well well well motherfuckers

after last night

Rank Fighter  (Division) Record Points
1 Jon Jones   (LHW) 19-1-0
2 Georges St. Pierre   (WW) 24-2-0

9/30/13 2:55 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

we expanded the men's list to Top 15 by popular demand.

http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/pound-for-pound/

9/30/13 3:08 PM
John M
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't agree with some of it, but it is interdasting where guys are from a statistical perspective. And Chael at 14 is interesting as well...
9/30/13 7:54 PM
EvilMaster

ranier wolfcastle - 

after last night

Attn: fightmatrix.com

I am not impressed by your performance.

9/30/13 8:16 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

EvilMaster - 
ranier wolfcastle - 

after last night

Attn: fightmatrix.com

I am not impressed by your performance.

LOL again!

9/30/13 9:04 PM
SexiestManAlive

Great list. Personally as crazy as this sounds but GSP is number 1 p4p because he won impressive over the 2 top contenders at the weight class.

Jone's barely won over Gus (or even won for that matter depending on opinion) and the 2 fights he won before were middleweights.

Anderson lost, and his last win was Bonnar. He shouldn't have lost to Weidman period.

Aldo is number 2 but hasn't looked impressive, Cain or JDS needs to prove that they're the best at HW. Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 9:05 PM
SexiestManAlive

1. GSP
2. Aldo
3. Barao
4. Jones

Cain and JDS need to prove who's finally number 1

Anderson needs to win Phone Post 3.0
9/30/13 10:15 PM
kevsh
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The top 5 guys on that list are a combined 88-5 overall, and 1 of those loses was the DQ by Jones. Amazing.
9/30/13 10:44 PM
Foos
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frankie Edgar and Sarah Kaufman are missing from these lists.
10/1/13 1:06 AM
Chromium
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FightMatrix has been the bomb for years. Best computerized rankings by a mile and a half, and a great counterweight to the rankings done by humans.

It's also a great research tool for digging up prospects. While the rankings get a bit shakier the deeper you go, no other ranking system goes nearly as deep, and if I want to identify, say, some hot prospects out of Korea at Bantamweight, it makes it easy and conveniently links to their Sherdog record.

Definitely a great resource. Phone Post 3.0
10/1/13 10:25 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FinestScotch - 

Chael Sonnen on that list...

I guess moving up a division to get destroyed gives big points

To be honest, I don't understand how Sonnen made Top 15 - may be a bug in the algorhithm.  Need to investigate...

10/1/13 12:04 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

Cutman - How does this website help me ?
If I want too see a p4p list or rankings I could go to another site, What´s so special about this one?
Could someone link me total landed strikes of Jones Vs. Gus or is this website just some ranking website...
Thank you.

Vitor belfort as a top 15 p4p......whaaat..

How do you score points in this system by the way? couldn't really find any info on it except that it was based on wins

And whats up with not adding Tito Ortiz to the list of LHW champions? Because he didn't take it from Frank?
http://www.fightmatrix.com/lineal-championship-histories/light-heavyweights/

Gonna take me some hours to figure these things out by myself. hehed.

Best of luck too you sir with this website.

How does this website help me ?
If I want too see a p4p list or rankings I could go to another site, What´s so special about this one?

If you're only looking for p4p rankings or a divisional Top 10, there are plenty of other sites you can look at.  But none of them are anywhere as extensive, ranking up to 500 fighters per division.  You can also view custom ranking lists by country/state/region/promotion etc - no other sites (that I know of) offer this.  We also have a bunch of other fun MMA stats, and even a nifty little Upcoming Events tracker: http://www.fightmatrix.com/upcoming-events/

Could someone link me total landed strikes of Jones Vs. Gus or is this website just some ranking website...

We don't do strike counts - you're thinking of Fight Metric (folks get us confused quite frequently - similar names and all...)

Vitor belfort as a top 15 p4p......whaaat..

I usually don't bother arguing about individual rankings, but curious why you find this particular one to be such a stretch.  Vitors only losses in recent years are to Silva and Jones (and he was the closest to finishing Jones than any of Jon's opponenets).  Other than that he's destroyed everyone he fought.

How do you score points in this system by the way? couldn't really find any info on it except that it was based on wins

Here's the gist of it:

If you were to make your professional MMA debut tomorrow, you would be assigned a starter rating (say 10 points - that's not the actual value but just an example to make it easier to understand).

Every time you have a pro fight, your will either gain or lose rating points, based on the outcome of the fight, and the relative rating of the two opponents.  So a first round TKO gives the winner a lot more points than a split decision, and a win over someone with a much higher rating gives the winner a lot more points than a win over someone with a much lower rating (in fact you will actually start to lose points if you keep only fighting competition that is rated much lower than you are).

Then there are other modifiers for titles, win streaks, etc...  see for more info:

http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/

http://www.fightmatrix.com/faq/

And whats up with not adding Tito Ortiz to the list of LHW champions? Because he didn't take it from Frank?
http://www.fightmatrix.com/lineal-championship-histories/light-heavyweights/

You got it.  Keep in mind, this is the lineal title - not the UFC title.  When the lineal title holder retires (i.e. Frank Shamrock), the lineage may be vacant for a while, until there is a fight between top 2 guys in the division to crown a new lineage.  Which didn't happen until Ortiz fought Couture.

Now I personally don't have a problem with awarding the lineage to Ortiz-Kondo winner even though it was not #1 vs #2 in the division, but ultimately it doesn't matter since Ortiz lost to Couture anyway, so the lineage remains the same in the long run.

10/1/13 12:18 PM
esque
514 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any list with Chael P. on it is good in my book. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.