UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What Stone Cold says about MMA

9/29/13 12:02 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1070 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin has not performed as a professional wrestler since 2003. And he was the biggest star in the sport from 1998-2001.

However, in an interview Monday on The MMA Hour, Austin said that he now gets more of a charge watching mixed martial arts than the wrestling business he's loved since childhood.

"Just from the world that I come from, I left pro wrestling behind a couple of years ago when I started doing my own thing," said Austin.  "From my world, I can read between the lines of these angles (on a pro wrestling television show), I can guess or tell a lot of what is about to happen. I get a little more charged up in a UFC fight. In some of those championship matches, my heart's already pounding sitting on the couch, when it's about to start. These days I'd rather tip my hat to a badass UFC main event, but with all due respect, pro wrestling is my first love."

"They're two different worlds. But there's something of a parallel. Pro wrestling is basically what MMA is, just at a worked level with theatrical elements."

Austin feels one overlooked theatrical element that is frequently lacking in MMA is interviews.

"A guy gets a chance on the horn and they crap the bed," said Austin. "That's an outstanding opportunity for you, a great way to reach out and let the crowd know who you are and what you are. Some guys talk stupid trash that doesn't make sense. Some of the guys who lose fights get a booboo face. Anytime Brian Stann fought, whether he lost or won, he commanded your respect when he was on the horn. I always liked to watch his promos. He's a smart cat."

"Cain Velasquez basically says what he's going to do, I don't need a wild promo out of him. I just want to hear that he's taking care of business. I'm looking forward to him and Junior Dos Santos No. 3 because those two are pure fighters."

"I tell you, I'm down at the ranch, me and my buddy, watching the fights the other night, and I was blown away by Alexander Gustafsson. We've seen him come along, but this was his shining moment. He's been a star in the making all this time, but against Jon Jones, a superstar was born."

Read entire article...

9/29/13 12:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
I LOVE GSP
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in
9/29/13 12:12 AM
Lux Fixxins

And that's the bottom line..... Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 12:14 AM
poonhunter 5000
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love me some stone cold.
9/29/13 12:16 AM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
339 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fucking love stone cold Phone Post
9/29/13 12:17 AM
poonhunter 5000
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lux Fixxins - And that's the bottom line..... Phone Post 3.0

But....why, pray tell, is it the "the bottom line"?
9/29/13 12:26 AM
SLUGSHOT_331
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

poonhunter 5000 -
Lux Fixxins - And that's the bottom line..... Phone Post 3.0

But....why, pray tell, is it the "the bottom line"?
Cuz Stone Cold said so. Phone Post
9/29/13 12:34 AM
CindyO

My daughter STILL has her Stone Cold doll whose joints sound like breaking bones!

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 12:40 AM
Hurricane Hasan

Been saying this. Talked to a pro today about this. Gotta market yourself on the mic and give people a reason to care about your fight. Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 12:46 AM
Anderson P Sonnen
681 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man this Steve Austin, what an awesome individual. Phone Post
9/29/13 12:50 AM
Gilbert956
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"WHAT!"

....."WHAT!"

........."WHAT!" Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 12:52 AM
GROUNDnLB
336 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gilbert956 - "WHAT!"

....."WHAT!"

........."WHAT!" Phone Post 3.0
Vu Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 12:54 AM
stevekt
572 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Listen to his podcast. It's great!
9/29/13 12:59 AM
vee840
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Cold Stone" Steve Austin! 316 flavors
9/29/13 1:05 AM
KingOfFighters

stone cold is correct, you'll never make boxing money with a stale boring static interview, never.call.anyone out, and claim you'll fight whoever is put infront of you. instead of building names ufc uses their time showing commercials..i.cant understand how someone that buys a ppv will be ok with ads and commercials during an event Phone Post
9/29/13 1:12 AM
Ch1ef
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hespect Phone Post
9/29/13 1:17 AM
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee
710 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Still one of my favorite athletes even though I stopped watching wrestling when I became an adult. Somehow it makes me really happy hes a fan Phone Post
9/29/13 1:18 AM
slamming

Fighters and fans think it's too "disrespectful" to call someone out in a post fight interview for some reason. It's prize fighting!

"I'll fight whoever they put in front me " zzzzzzzzzzzz Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 1:18 AM
stevekt
572 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has filled more arenas and sold more PPV's than anyone who ever stepped into the octagon and likely sold more shirts than Tapout. He probably knows a thing or two about marketing.
9/29/13 1:31 AM
SilverSpoon1996

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rxSyonEsZFg/T94aOkUaX6I/AAAAAAAAX4c/zs4Oul_qZIU/s1600/stunning+and+stone+cold+JR81.jpg

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00456/Steve_Austin_Rude_456652a.jpg

He is an entertainer... Good one at that..

Can someone help me with these.
9/29/13 2:47 AM
NatualBornTickler
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What Phone Post 3.0
9/29/13 2:50 AM
JimmersonzGlove
477 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone should check his podcast...its awesome. Hes an amazing interviewer and its impressive given that hes more famous than his subjects. Phone Post
9/29/13 2:55 AM
FullyLoadedFists

Sub Phone Post
9/29/13 3:15 AM
DreamerMMA
437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts, LLC, Moderator

He makes a good point.

Many MMA fighters have pretty stale, boring personalities and it's painfully obvious when they get interviewed.

This is something you really didn't see in professional wrestling, self marketing was really important.

Make people give a shit about your fight, love you or hate you, make them give a shit.

9/29/13 5:37 AM
LastMinuteReplacement

he is such an awesome person. I love this man

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.