UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> KEITH OWEN just...

10/10/13 3:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
pursuitofhappiness
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gave Ari a stripe on his brown already and promoted 14 new blue belts and 9 new purple belts at a seminar at Ari's school.
10/10/13 3:23 AM
checkuroil
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's been like six months. A stripe would be fairish. Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 4:34 AM
The Professional
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keith Owen is the new Rickson. Just accept it. This guy knows what he's doing. He's absolutely revolutionary and no one should doubt his judgement with anything related to BJJ rankings or life advice in general. Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 7:33 AM
Bjjudo

The Professional - Keith Owen is the new Rickson. Just accept it. This guy knows what he's doing. He's absolutely revolutionary and no one should doubt his judgement with anything related to BJJ rankings or life advice in general. Phone Post 3.0
Lol what..... Phone Post
10/10/13 8:38 AM
kying418
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've come to grips with the reality that Ari will get his black belt before me.

But in all seriousness, we should just be grateful that we are able to train.

Let's try not to worry or judge other people's journey in bjj. Eventually, if they aren't "real" practioners, they will fall to the wayside.

Hell, even if you love the sport, how many of us will be training when we are in our 50's and 60's and up?
10/10/13 8:49 AM
joshjitsu

Edited: 10/10/13 8:49 AM
I don't have the want or energy to care about people like Ari anymore. There are tons of other people out there ranked brown and black even less deserving than him, under legit respected instructors. It will drive you crazy caring about it. I wish the standards were kept high but they just aren't.
10/10/13 10:33 AM
ams
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure who Ari is but big congratulations! Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 11:04 AM
JoejitsuMD
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ari will be a legit black belt and there isn't anything anyone can do to stop it. He obviously has questionable character and has gone about things the wrong way, so hopefully that will come back to bite him someday. Until then whatever.
10/10/13 11:58 AM
chitownbjj
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"What's everyone rank on this thread?!"
-- Brandon Quick Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 12:30 PM
Poet of Gore

JoejitsuMD - Ari will be a legit black belt and there isn't anything anyone can do to stop it. He obviously has questionable character and has gone about things the wrong way, so hopefully that will come back to bite him someday. Until then whatever.

do you really believe he will be a legit BB? i don't mean him getting a BB from a real BB, but do you think he will ever be legit anything?

10/10/13 5:38 PM
Sgt. Slaphead
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wait, WHEN THE !@#$ DID HE MAKE BROWN BELT!?!?!?!?!? I coulda sworn the last posting was about his purple belt?
10/10/13 6:30 PM
shen
804 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/10/13 6:34 PM

It's perfectly valid to not care or think it matters, but in a way, the countdown to Ari getting his BB is like the countdown to doomsday for BJJ.

Yeah, I know BJJ will go on and there is LOTS & LOTS of very excellent BJJ out there... but on a more subtle level it will be a sort of death knell. The end of an era. 15 years ago the idea of someone like Ari get any advanced rank in BJJ was simply an impossibility. Now it's reality.

BJJ used to be an art with universally high standards for ranks, not so much anymore. Ari is the perfect symbol for the downward slide BJJ has taken in that regard.
10/10/13 7:12 PM
JRockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This seems to be a trend for most martial arts in the US. Is it the same in other countries where the art has been there longer, Brazil, Japan? If not, why not? Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 7:31 PM
checkuroil
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ari is in canada.

I used to care when he flew my flag. Now that he's someone else's problem, I don't give as much of a shit.

I have accepted the pussification of bjj. Ever read the reddit bjj forum? It's full of the next generation who are crybabies.

I Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 7:46 PM
Poet of Gore

^ cry baby practitioners is one thing. Ari not being a brown belt wearing a brown belt IS an issue and needs to be cared about. 

as soon as we don't care about one bs brown belt/ soon to be black belt, then that will just snowball and open the floodgates.

plus, there is a real BB instructor about 12 miles from his school.

10/10/13 8:03 PM
checkuroil

I cared more than anyone on this thread. I just can't keep focusing on it Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 11:39 PM
Baroquen Record
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I mean, if you think about it, Ari has been doing BJJ for a while now. It feels like a decade ago that we went through the whole Ari/Eddie/BQuick shit.

I guess eventually he will be somewhat legit, right?

I mean what ever happened to Gene Simco? Did he ever actually become legit, or did he just disappear?
10/11/13 12:29 AM
JoejitsuMD
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For old time's sake...bluenamer help with this one?

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/joejitsumd/7A000352-B4EA-436F-B423-EFA290F74FEE-6977-0000074D2D6861E5_zpsf848a10e.jpg
10/11/13 12:48 AM
pheonix5
669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^

10/11/13 1:47 AM
The Professional
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a brown belt under Relson and have been for the past 25 months. No stripe yet after training 4-5 days a week. Personally, I still love this 'old school' style. Keeps me humble and not worrying about BS. Phone Post 3.0
10/11/13 9:22 PM
JoejitsuMD

The Professional - I'm a brown belt under Relson and have been for the past 25 months. No stripe yet after training 4-5 days a week. Personally, I still love this 'old school' style. Keeps me humble and not worrying about BS. Phone Post 3.0

Holy crap dude, hopefully Relson is one of those types of guys who doesn't give any stripes then gives two or three back to back lol.
10/11/13 9:56 PM
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoejitsuMD - 
The Professional - I'm a brown belt under Relson and have been for the past 25 months. No stripe yet after training 4-5 days a week. Personally, I still love this 'old school' style. Keeps me humble and not worrying about BS. Phone Post 3.0

Holy crap dude, hopefully Relson is one of those types of guys who doesn't give any stripes then gives two or three back to back lol.

rorion is that type of guy
10/12/13 12:18 AM
nogidavid
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stripes are for zebras
10/12/13 12:43 AM
UGCTT_Fillthy
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and prisoners.

10/12/13 11:06 AM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Baroquen Record - I mean, if you think about it, Ari has been doing BJJ for a while now. It feels like a decade ago that we went through the whole Ari/Eddie/BQuick shit.

I guess eventually he will be somewhat legit, right?

I mean what ever happened to Gene Simco? Did he ever actually become legit, or did he just disappear?

Simco still teaches and I guess by now he should be at the level of black belt even though he frauded his way into brown and shopped around till he bought his black belt. He def has remained quiet the last 5-7yrs though, but he still teaches. Saw some of his guys at the last NY Open w the NYMAG patch crap. Of course due to his blatant bullshit, nobody who knows anything of his past is going to see him as legit.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.