UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> KEITH OWEN just...

10/27/13 12:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bjjtek
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pedro's minimum requirement for promotions after blue belt is 100 classes per stripe. If Ari is training 5 days a week, he will roughly be promoted 2 stripes a year. Seems to be his current advancement schedule.
10/27/13 2:46 AM
kying418
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bjjtek - Pedro's minimum requirement for promotions after blue belt is 100 classes per stripe. If Ari is training 5 days a week, he will roughly be promoted 2 stripes a year. Seems to be his current advancement schedule.

Is Ari really training 5 days a week? Maybe teaching 5 days a week- but I think many people have doubts if he is actually rolling with that amount of frequency.

If he was, I don't think people would really be making fun of his bjj skills.
10/27/13 4:45 AM
Robobear
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10/27/13 4:48 AM
Robobear
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bjjtek - Pedro's minimum requirement for promotions after blue belt is 100 classes per stripe. If Ari is training 5 days a week, he will roughly be promoted 2 stripes a year. Seems to be his current advancement schedule.

What's up bro!!! bjjtek is legit and one cool dude!!

10/31/13 4:34 PM
mad tiger

Sir Grand Master kai Li out here in Hawaii. Mystery Joe Morreira Black Belt. HAs 2 degrees but yet claims he got his BB in 2010 lol
10/31/13 8:46 PM
Robobear

mad tiger - Sir Grand Master kai Li out here in Hawaii. Mystery Joe Morreira Black Belt. HAs 2 degrees but yet claims he got his BB in 2010 lol

Oh man. Don't get me started on that guy.

11/1/13 3:05 AM
MieshaTatesSideBoob
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fun read, I understand that everyone can't be Carlson or Draculino. But I imagine how well your students perform in tournaments is a decent gauge of how legit you and your BB's are.

I only know what I have read online, but if you have 100 affiliates I would imagine you would have to have some titles or medals in your BJJ tree. Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 10:03 AM
UGCTT_Fillthy
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some people want to learn jiu-jitsu, some people want a black belt. I'm in the former group, Ari is obvisouly in the latter. Ari's black belt will only get respect from people who's respect I don't care about, my blue belt will get respect from all the people I care about.
11/1/13 10:41 AM
SC MMA MD
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Some people want to learn jiu-jitsu, some people (just) want a black belt."

Words to live by.

Voted up Phone Post 3.0
11/3/13 4:33 AM
pursuitofhappiness

Considering he was a white belt in 2009, he's gone from white to brown in 4 years. I guess Ari's the new BJ Penn
11/3/13 6:34 AM
walbjj
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pursuitofhappiness - Considering he was a white belt in 2009, he's gone from white to brown in 4 years. I guess Ari's the new BJ Penn

or kit dale
11/3/13 7:54 AM
Calibur1980
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pursuitofhappiness - Considering he was a white belt in 2009, he's gone from white to brown in 4 years. I guess Ari's the new BJ Penn
Gross. Phone Post 3.0
11/3/13 9:36 AM
Christophr

Jessy30 -  "shen , 373
1 day ago

It's perfectly valid to not care or think it matters, but in a way, the countdown to Ari getting his BB is like the countdown to doomsday for BJJ.

Yeah, I know BJJ will go on and there is LOTS & LOTS of very excellent BJJ out there... but on a more subtle level it will be a sort of death knell. The end of an era. 15 years ago the idea of someone like Ari get any advanced rank in BJJ was simply an impossibility. Now it's reality.

BJJ used to be an art with universally high standards for ranks, not so much anymore. Ari is the perfect symbol for the downward slide BJJ has taken in that regard."

And this. I just have given up caring that individuals I KNOW would at one point never have received a BB are going to get them. It is ri-goddamn-diculous but there you have it. Phone Post

I think you're overstating your case a little. I doubt that there has ever been a time at which there haven't been questionable promotions, shady black belts, etc.
11/5/13 4:36 PM
pursuitofhappiness

Edited: 11/05/13 4:39 PM
I understand there's a lot more to being promoted and recognized than just hoow you compete and roll. There's other factors such as how good of a teacher you are, what you do for BJJ, etc... I'd respect a black belt that doesn't do well in competition (maybe he has a full time job and a family, not physically gifted) a lot more than one who doesn't even compete or roll due to fear of losing to a lower rank.

When you through the ranks so incredibly fast, people want to know how you roll, and compete and what you're doing.

But the facts are:
He doesn't compete or roll on video
He wore a black belt while doing BJJ techniques to up your video views then claimed it was a JJJ BB, which you couldn't even prove lineage of, even if that was an acceptable excuse (which it wasn't)

In reality he's KO's top affiliate and are paying his bills.

But the hatred isn't necessarily all towards Ari, I'd say it's more towards seeing BJJ becoming a McDojo. In the future we're gonna see academies full of BJJ BB who got it in 4 years. Just unfortunate..
11/5/13 4:39 PM
pursuitofhappiness

Part of the McDojo is also belt testing in which nobody fails. Put in this much mat time and you'll get promoted, doesn't matter how hard you train, how improved you become... Bring me the $$$ every 6 months and I'll give you a promotion ;)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.