UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> What is your take on switching gyms?

10/15/13 9:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shin2chin
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blood in, blood out.
10/16/13 3:20 AM
Calibur1980
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cross3dout -
Jessy30 - I moved because the gym I was at no longer was competitive enough for me. The focus became the "new students" and the "business." For about 8 months to a year and a half I left every night frustrated and angry because I had no competition. No one to push me. My current gym I have several great matches a night and if there is no one good enough to push me my instructor is who is the best martial arts instructor I have ever had Daniel Beleza arranges my matches by somehow giving me a handicap.

For you "loyalists". Should I have quit bjj altogether or should I have continued on leaving every night angry and frustrated? Phone Post
You should have helped develop your fellow students to a point where they could push you. Make them better so they could make you better. Phone Post 3.0
I've been in positions where I've had to do that. In the end it's just one mid level student giving constant free privates after class because the instructor was falling behind.

Than the new students stop coming and your stuck with the new batch and while its great you've given a ton of white belts a bunch of perspectives on training, they're still white belts who are not equipped to help you at your level.

Everyone needs a coach and if you are paying money just to teach noobs baby steps than finding a place that can help you get to the next level physically only isn't fair. But it's smart.

High level competitors do this all the time. Even the ones that scream creonte. They just don't talk about it which means this isn't a money thing. It's a pride thing. Ironic in the sport of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Phone Post 3.0
10/16/13 5:12 AM
Jessy30
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well said calibur Phone Post
10/16/13 7:16 AM
PayItForward
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why "switch"?

why can't it be I train at both X and Y.

I decided to do that and the original instructor had no issues.

everyone at both X and Y are cool and the whole creonte thing is stupid.
10/16/13 1:46 PM
HoldYerGround
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The average hobbyist who pays a monthly fee to attend class should be able to go wherever he wants. Academies can't act like a business and treat them purely like a customer and then be able to to doubledip and claim all this "family" shit when their business goes elsewhere. 

There are situations though where certain competitors receive favorable treatment and rates where their contribution to the academy could simply be their loyalty and performance in competition. Here academy changes can get dicey.

10/16/13 1:49 PM
Soulroller
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have no problems with switching As long as you are man/woman enough to be upfront and honest with that instructor.
10/17/13 10:04 AM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - 
Unacceptable.

As I tell my students at the Shendokan, "No one gets out of here alive."

That is all well and good, but then, eventually , I mean.. What do you do with all the bodies? Backyard, landfill, the bay? I get where you are coming from, I'm just trying to be pragmatic here.
10/17/13 3:27 PM
soshje
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

truehonor -
shen - 
Unacceptable.

That is all well and good, but then, eventually , I mean.. What do you do with all the bodies? Backyard, landfill, the bay? I get where you are coming from, I'm just trying to be pragmatic here.
Isn't the ancient tradition to eat the soul of your enemy? Phone Post
10/17/13 5:05 PM
Gaz209
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recently had to move gyms, due to a new job I couldn't make my first gyms classes. Was hard breaking it to my coach but he knew that it was the last thing I wanted to do, I'm still very much welcome at the gym any class I can make.

Shit happens. Get over it and get on with it Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 12:19 PM
Chris Leben is a Zombie
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So here is my situation:

Im a hobbyist, Ive been training for 10months I recently trained at another school, the atmosphere is more my style. I want to train there, but my instructor is VERY old school and would not like me training at two gyms at once or leaving his. I feel truly stuck. Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 2:53 PM
Zenoplata
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I simply can't afford to go to my usual gym.

Haven't really gone a ton over the past couple years cause I went back to school and now I'm going to be attending graduate school...

I really wish it wasn't so costly. I really just can't afford $140 on my budget :(
10/21/13 3:04 PM
shen
829 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

soshje - 
truehonor -
shen - 
Unacceptable.

I have no comment.

-----

BTW, Totally unrelated:

Hey guys, please let me know if you want some of "GM Shen Famous Christmas Sausage" again this year! Like every year, just drop me a note and I will send it out to you right before Christmas!!!

:)
10/22/13 2:52 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris Leben is a Zombie - So here is my situation:

Im a hobbyist, Ive been training for 10months I recently trained at another school, the atmosphere is more my style. I want to train there, but my instructor is VERY old school and would not like me training at two gyms at once or leaving his. I feel truly stuck. Phone Post 3.0

If that academy is better suited to you, its idiotic to stay where you are as it is. Just leave that academy and join up at the one that better suits you. What is keeping you at your original academy? As you are describing how much the other academy suits you?
10/22/13 5:36 PM
Poet of Gore

shen - 
soshje - 
truehonor -
shen - 
Unacceptable.

I have no comment.

-----

BTW, Totally unrelated:

Hey guys, please let me know if you want some of "GM Shen Famous Christmas Sausage" again this year! Like every year, just drop me a note and I will send it out to you right before Christmas!!!

:)

how would this compare to a Snausage, which i also eat?

10/22/13 11:11 PM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

Hunter V -

If that academy is better suited to you, its idiotic to stay where you are as it is. Just leave that academy and join up at the one that better suits you. What is keeping you at your original academy? As you are describing how much the other academy suits you?
I'll miss A few of my training partners, and I sort of feel guilty leaving my instructor because he is big on loyalty....he is VERY old school brazilian Phone Post 3.0
10/22/13 11:12 PM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

Chris Leben is a Zombie -
Hunter V -

I'll miss A few of my training partners, and I sort of feel guilty leaving my instructor because he is big on loyalty....he is VERY old school brazilian Phone Post 3.0
He will infact take this personal Phone Post 3.0
10/22/13 11:57 PM
spider guard
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris Leben is a Zombie - 
Hunter V -

Tell your instructor that you are moving homes or apartments or whatever and ask him if he can help you move. If he says he can't or makes up and excuse, then you know his loyalty is not a 2 way street and all his preaching of loyalty is garbage and what he's preaching is blind faith in him. If he says yes, that's a different issue all together.

It's funny when you ask for help in moving that you see true colors.
10/25/13 12:04 AM
SeanRoberts
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You only live once. Sometimes you have to do what is best for you! Just if you switch gyms don't show your new teammates how to beat you old teammates.
10/25/13 6:08 AM
ozjiujitsu
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hunter V -

Each to their own. Your obviously not happy with your current gym other wise you wouldn't have gone behind your teaches back and trained at this other place. As a generalisation tho. If you have only been training 10 months and your already switching schools because of "vibes". (I could understand if you wanted to leave because some one was trying to give free oil checks in the showers or something of the sort) You'll either keep switching schools or quit. Just my 2c Phone Post 3.0
10/25/13 6:36 AM
cdog1955

Stop paying and see where the loyalty thing goes.
10/25/13 8:49 AM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

ozjiujitsu -
Hunter V -

Each to their own. Your obviously not happy with your current gym other wise you wouldn't have gone behind your teaches back and trained at this other place. As a generalisation tho. If you have only been training 10 months and your already switching schools because of "vibes". (I could understand if you wanted to leave because some one was trying to give free oil checks in the showers or something of the sort) You'll either keep switching schools or quit. Just my 2c Phone Post 3.0
Vibes? Its not that, its pretty much IMO ran more like a business first, an academy second. He also hardly teaches, never shows up to competitions, its just not a very welcoming atmosphere Phone Post 3.0
10/26/13 8:23 PM
Jstmike
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My school had seven blackbelts. There was a falling out amongst some instructors. I chose to leave with my current instructor but over a year later I'm starting to feel like I made the wrong decision. I've stuck it out because of my "loyalty." unfortunately now my progession has stalled. I'm considering leaving. Phone Post
10/26/13 8:43 PM
PayItForward
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

leave.

do what is best for you. you must.

you wouldn't even consider it if it was a gym you workout at like Gold's or whatever.

if there was a gym that had a pool and that's more your "vibe", then fucking go to that gym.

same here. if the atmosphere suits you, go.

i'm a grown ass man. I tell people what i'm doing, not ask them if I can do it.

find cool people and train w/ them.

it's your life. it's now or never. you ain't gonna live forever. you just gotta live your own life. it's your life.
10/27/13 12:16 AM
myates

Do you pay monthly dues?

If yes, then train wherever you want. This attitude it absolutely ridiculous, if the place you pay money to isn't doing it for you... Go somewhere else!
10/27/13 2:07 PM
Goonies Top Team

Edited: 10/27/13 2:07 PM
Well said myates: The attitude is ridiculous. Your paying for a service, & the service is not cheap. To most people BJJ is a hobby. Some of these schools act like you owe them. Some of these schools want the loyalty, and business. I never had any issues switching my sons wrestling schools.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.