UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Your happiest you've ever been about mma?

10/15/13 2:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BJ Penn Forever
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit_2139 - 
Letibleu -
teamquestnorth - 
Letibleu -

Having Joe Rogan mention something I did during 3 differend PPV main cards and then mentioning we met. It felt so weird.

Thats pretty cool. Care to elaborate? Phone Post

Well, a few years ago the UFC teamed up with NLOP poker (ZEN Entertainment) to have UFC poker. NLOP poker was free to play and relied on ad based marketing. You essentially played to accumulated points or qualifiers to get into tournaments for prizes like UFC tickets with airfair and accomodations, the entire UFC gallery and tapout gift certificates.

A friend of mine wanted to try so we registered at my house. Of course we tried our favorite fighter names but they were all blocked from being used. We tried Joe Rogan for the hell of it and it wasnt blocked!

So I played off and on as Joe Rogan on UFC poker. I was also doing pretty good. On the tables people would write in chat as if they were talking to Joe Rogan. I never answered back. They all played like shit and I actually won a lot of free merchandice. I believe that any edge in poker should be milked (at a table) while keeping it civil.

Fast forward a few weeks to UFC 107. I am at the local bar watching the BJ vs Sanchez title fight card. Goldberg plugs UFC poker and Joe goes on a rant about how someone is playing with his name but that its not him. Goldberg laughs about it. I realize they are talking about me! 

A week later I win the poker regionals (nothing to do with UFC poker) and go represent Newfoundland in Vegas. The trip also included UFC 109 tickets.

UFC 108 airs and again Joe rants about the Joe Rogan poker guy. I realize I might end up meeting him so I stop playing for a few weeks. I was training for the big tourney anyways so I didnt have time.

I fly down to Vegas. I have a handler and a journalist (from Newfoundland) following me around which makes me feel special. I meet a bunch of fighters which is really cool. My tourney is on a wednesday all day and I end up banking a bit (12th place out of 350 for about $12,500 USD).

The Joe Rogan standup show is sold out but I manage to gamble a ticket out of a drunk guy playing cash tables. I go to the show, get really drunk and even have to sit through Joe doing a bit about the Joe Rogan poker guy. After the show I stick around and Joe comes out and greets fans that waited around. I end up being last (by design). I am way more drunk than I wanted to be. We meet and I tell him who I am. We end up having a beer together and chit chat a bit. Joe has to go so we do a picture and he takes off. I could have tried to tag along but I knew how intoxicated i probably looked (and tired).

Next day during the broadcast Goldie plugs UFC poker and Joe mentions he met me and that its all cool and that he gave me permission to use the name.

That is all.

Well there goes my VU for the day Phone Post 3.0

You are a savage!
10/15/13 3:11 AM
ConditJustGSPeedHisPants
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Henderson / Bisping
Lesnar / Velásquez
Dos Santos / Velásquez 2
Silva / Sonnen 2 Phone Post 3.0
10/15/13 3:31 AM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More recently, Lawler vs Koscheck, Gomi vs Tyson Griffin, Shogun vs Machida 2, Hunt vs Struve. Off the top of my head. Phone Post
10/15/13 3:34 AM
Diazs Chronic J

teamquestnorth - Watching Chael lock in the guillatine on Shogun. Phone Post
That was awesome, are you from Oregon btw? Phone Post 3.0
10/15/13 3:38 AM
teamquestnorth
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diazs Chronic J -
teamquestnorth - Watching Chael lock in the guillatine on Shogun. Phone Post
That was awesome, are you from Oregon btw? Phone Post 3.0
Vancouver wa Phone Post
10/15/13 3:53 AM
Il Duce
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - More recently, Lawler vs Koscheck, Gomi vs Tyson Griffin, Shogun vs Machida 2, Hunt vs Struve. Off the top of my head. Phone Post
Oooooh, Lawler vs Koscheck…

Good call. Phone Post 3.0
10/15/13 3:56 AM
Keegan
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Being from Ireland I always wondered if an Irish fighter would ever make it into one of the big promotions. This year I think Conor McGregor's debut was my happiest moment!

Along with that any upsets, they always put a smile on my face probably like everyone else!
10/15/13 4:06 AM
Sakurabas Mongolian Chop
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva vs Sonnen 1

tito vs bader (nostalgia)

randy vs james toney

silva vs maia (could not stop smiling for the first round)

Henderson vs Bisping

bas rutten palm striking a smiling Frank Shamrock
10/15/13 4:15 AM
Mike_in_CA
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When Randy beat Tito, and when Randy beat Tim Silvia Phone Post
10/15/13 7:15 AM
Freddie Gavaria
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva vs. Sonnen 2, Cain vs JDS 1, Bendo vs. Pettis 2 Phone Post 3.0
10/15/13 7:25 AM
Arlovskis Chin
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

23 minutes of the main event 117. Phone Post 3.0
10/17/13 12:00 AM
bjm82
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caseharts -  Weidman vs silva. Do Santos Cain 1
Bacynski vs melancon Phone Post

Me too on melancon vs baczynski
10/17/13 12:08 AM
ranier wolfcastle
1203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

probably when i came back to cable tv after the ban

(fuck you john mccain)

10/17/13 12:26 AM
Mrfrosty
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ knocking out Hughes after back to back losses was epic. Also Lesnar tapping Carwin and Tito getting Bader were both WTF moments that made me fly out of my seat
10/17/13 12:30 AM
raags
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nog knocking out Schaub
10/17/13 12:33 AM
UGCTT_ShanTheMan
925 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendo vs Bisping
10/17/13 1:23 AM
ufc98newb
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I started following every ufc event, and other major ones starting with ufc 98 in may o9' that whole first year was pretty great, and probably won't be matched for excitement, on my end. Watching Machida make rashad look like a child was the fight that hooked me. Lesnar beating the fuck out of Mir was really exciting, BJ squashing Diego, and Lesnar coming back to sub Carwin are probably the fights that stick out the most for me. Even as new as I am to the sport, the guys who I attached myself to are gone or have faded badly from their p4p glory. 

More recently, the one event that made me literally jump out of my seat and go apeshit was bigfoot ktfo Overeem. And I am not an overeem hater by any means, but that was just really a cool/shocking/exciting moment, imo. Also Gus finally giving Bones a real fight was incredible, and brought some drama into a seemingly stale division. 

10/17/13 1:32 AM
RickStorm
1914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin
Letibleu - 
teamquestnorth - 
Letibleu -

Having Joe Rogan mention something I did during 3 differend PPV main cards and then mentioning we met. It felt so weird.

Well, a few years ago the UFC teamed up with NLOP poker (ZEN Entertainment) to have UFC poker. NLOP poker was free to play and relied on ad based marketing. You essentially played to accumulated points or qualifiers to get into tournaments for prizes like UFC tickets with airfair and accomodations, the entire UFC gallery and tapout gift certificates.

A friend of mine wanted to try so we registered at my house. Of course we tried our favorite fighter names but they were all blocked from being used. We tried Joe Rogan for the hell of it and it wasnt blocked!

So I played off and on as Joe Rogan on UFC poker. I was also doing pretty good. On the tables people would write in chat as if they were talking to Joe Rogan. I never answered back. They all played like shit and I actually won a lot of free merchandice. I believe that any edge in poker should be milked (at a table) while keeping it civil.

Fast forward a few weeks to UFC 107. I am at the local bar watching the BJ vs Sanchez title fight card. Goldberg plugs UFC poker and Joe goes on a rant about how someone is playing with his name but that its not him. Goldberg laughs about it. I realize they are talking about me! 

A week later I win the poker regionals (nothing to do with UFC poker) and go represent Newfoundland in Vegas. The trip also included UFC 109 tickets.

UFC 108 airs and again Joe rants about the Joe Rogan poker guy. I realize I might end up meeting him so I stop playing for a few weeks. I was training for the big tourney anyways so I didnt have time.

I fly down to Vegas. I have a handler and a journalist (from Newfoundland) following me around which makes me feel special. I meet a bunch of fighters which is really cool. My tourney is on a wednesday all day and I end up banking a bit (12th place out of 350 for about $12,500 USD).

The Joe Rogan standup show is sold out but I manage to gamble a ticket out of a drunk guy playing cash tables. I go to the show, get really drunk and even have to sit through Joe doing a bit about the Joe Rogan poker guy. After the show I stick around and Joe comes out and greets fans that waited around. I end up being last (by design). I am way more drunk than I wanted to be. We meet and I tell him who I am. We end up having a beer together and chit chat a bit. Joe has to go so we do a picture and he takes off. I could have tried to tag along but I knew how intoxicated i probably looked (and tired).

Next day during the broadcast Goldie plugs UFC poker and Joe mentions he met me and that its all cool and that he gave me permission to use the name.

That is all.

bwahahaha!

that was you?

I remember that

10/17/13 2:16 AM
Ace5002
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

End of Silva vs Sonnen 1, CroCop OWGP win, and BJ ko'ing Hughes Phone Post 3.0
10/17/13 3:30 AM
Chadderz
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winning my first fight, pretty much one sided domination. Best feeling ever.

The first four rounds if Sonnen vs Silva. Phone Post 3.0
10/17/13 4:49 AM
Letibleu
1716 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/17/13 4:52 AM
RickStorm - 
Letibleu - 
teamquestnorth - 
Letibleu -

That is all.

bwahahaha!

that was you?

I remember that

Yeah. Joe thought someone was doing it as a personal attack or something. He was getting messaged left and right by people that I beat or people that beat me. He told me he actually really dislikes poker and doesnt play at all (at that time). He realized it was something inadvertent and non malicious that just snowballed into something bigger than it should have been. A non event made into something sizemic. It got hot enough that I stopped using that handle for a bit.He told me and encouraged me to keep using it since it became an edge. UFC poker died not long after when they got into UFC Facebook poker which became a venture into an actual paying online poker site.

10/17/13 4:58 AM
catgobling

big nog over shaub
fedor over rogers
overeem over lesnar
10/17/13 5:02 AM
Zac Robinson
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Before UFC 105 I was interviewing Stitch for his book at the hotel and ESPN/MMA photographer Martin McNeil was taking photos of us. Made me feel important. And then after the event and after the party we hung out in a room all night to watch boxing on a big screen on the wall with Stitch, Goldie, Bruce, Burt Watson, a handful of fighters, etc. It was a cool experience to just be sitting around watching the fights.

Another really cool moment was when Stitch's book was released we did a signing at the fight club party and hung out with everyone and Stitch wrapped some hands.

Being at Weidman/Silva was a crazy moment. I lost my parlay bet when Weidman won, but it was so surreal to actually be there for Silva's first UFC loss.

10/17/13 6:43 AM
Sinful1
354 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cain vs Lesnar
Tito vs Bader (live)
10/17/13 11:14 AM
GROUNDnLB
651 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The walkouts of the lesnar Carwin fight. My heart was pumping furiously! Such anticipation Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.