UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Thinking about filming some new tech vids

10/27/13 12:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bjjtek
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For our gym website. Any ideas or suggestions?
10/27/13 12:59 AM
bjjtek
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, what do you love and hate about current tech instructionals
10/27/13 4:50 AM
Robobear
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anything you post bro is all good.  How about dealing with current trends in sport BJJ like the berimbolo or inverted stuff.  How to deal with guys who play these guards.

10/27/13 11:47 AM
JRockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The half guard bottom concepts you showed me when the guy turns to face your legs are awesome, would love to get a refresher! Phone Post 3.0
10/28/13 6:56 AM
bjjtek

Jrock, been planning on putting that series to video for a while. Probably a good time to start.

Robo, I would think their are tons of modern counters instructionals. Maybe if I took a different approach.... For example, teach a fundamental pass. Create a series on how to use that pass against various modern guards.
10/28/13 6:47 PM
Robobear
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bjjtek - Jrock, been planning on putting that series to video for a while. Probably a good time to start.

Robo, I would think their are tons of modern counters instructionals. Maybe if I took a different approach.... For example, teach a fundamental pass. Create a series on how to use that pass against various modern guards.

Awesome!

10/29/13 2:59 PM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who are you? Phone Post 3.0
10/29/13 4:07 PM
JRockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bjjtek is none other than Rylan Lizares, an extremely accomplished competitor and Pedro Sauer black belt, and one of the best instructors I've trained under. He runs Gracie Technics gym in Hawaii near Waikiki. Phone Post 3.0
10/29/13 7:33 PM
bjjtek

^^^ thanks for the intro Jrock!

Demandango, I have a rarely updated blog that has some vids I it. Check it out http://www.RefineTheBasics.com
10/30/13 11:07 AM
TBoy2
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Rylan,

I second Robobear's request. I still have problems sometimes dealing with Inverted Guard. I hate it when I just start to pass and the guy re-guards by inverting. The main concept I remember was not to give them what they need by driving into them. That has worked well. Your refined basics are Awesome! So using this to deal with modern guards would be great.

Oh, by the way. On Thursday I help teach a kids class in Salem (I have 2 of my own kids in the class). The other main instructor is an older Japanese Judo instructor who trained with Kimura!

Don't think I can make it Mike's on Fri but I plan to see you at the seminar Sat.

- Wayne
10/30/13 3:35 PM
bjjtek

Wayne! Great to hear from you. Awesome you get the chance to coach your own kids and share the art with your own family.

It's funny , I can almost visualize your and robobears passing dilemmas without even having to see them. Any type of outside, standing or over the legs passing will give your opponent an opportunity to invert.

Simple solution.... Lol. Pass under the legs.

I realize it easier said then done, but just because Jiu-Jitsu is simple..... Doesn't mean it's easy.

Most times the problems we encounter in Jiu-Jitsu has less to
do with our opponents talents and "game" and more to do with our own flaws and preferences.
10/30/13 4:39 PM
TBoy2
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep, my son is 10 and daughter 8. My daughter is kind of timid and just now starting to be a little more aggressive. A few weeks ago she threw a boy with a beautiful throw, Soto Momo Harai. Until last week she was the only girl in class. I also have the kids doing the GJJ Bullyproof at home with me.

Passing is one of the best parts of my game and I prefer standing passing because I am comfortable standing(from doing Judo). I do pass from the knees quite a bit especially when tired. Against the better I guys I prefer to pass over the legs, like when I X-Pass from the knees vs butterfly guard.

Thanks to BJJ Scout I just started to play with the Leandro Lo Knee Slide with active posting. It has been working pretty well for me so far. I tried this once to stop the Invert and it did work because my knee was pinned to the chest. But, after I passed I got into a scramble and lost the pass.

As you mention it might be easier to go under and stay tighter. You will have to show me a good way to do this against someone using butterfly guard.
10/30/13 7:40 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
867 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
10/30/13 8:24 PM
bjjtek

Wayne I share your thoughts on passing and I also prefer to stand to initiate my passing series. But it's part of the nature of passing, with increased space and forward pressure you give your opponents the necessary energy to invert.

I also like Lo's active posting method, though IMO it doesn't translate well to No-gi and MMA.

We can brainstorm some strategies when I see you this weekend.
10/30/13 8:49 PM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bjjtek, I am already a fan of your vids, anymore you post will be appreciated! Phone Post 3.0
10/30/13 10:21 PM
Poet of Gore
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lucas leite half guard

10/30/13 10:39 PM
baby-silverback
355 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
10/30/13 11:56 PM
10eroftheyear
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been trying to incorporate spider guard into my game. Up until now I've relied heavily on my half guard/deep half (it's my go to). I'm way over due to start evolving! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Phone Post 3.0
10/31/13 12:13 AM
bjjtek

Poet, Lucas' half guard is actually one of my faves. I haven't learned from him directly but have studied his style and have some ideas of my own too.

10/31/13 12:29 AM
baby-silverback
355 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BIG details please!!!

I've been working a system of options off of the Leite guard also. It was working decent when my professor made an adjustment. It's made a huge difference in efficiency & success rate

Details = success Phone Post
10/31/13 2:02 AM
El_Varaco
338 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
10/31/13 11:51 AM
TBoy2

bjjtek - Wayne I share your thoughts on passing and I also prefer to stand to initiate my passing series. But it's part of the nature of passing, with increased space and forward pressure you give your opponents the necessary energy to invert.

I also like Lo's active posting method, though IMO it doesn't translate well to No-gi and MMA.

We can brainstorm some strategies when I see you this weekend.

Thanks. It's Ok if we don't cover this over the weekend. Not sure if I can make it on Fri and on Sat I'm sure you will be busy. The inverted issue is more of an annoyance and I can wait until the next time I see you.
11/2/13 3:55 PM
demandango

To answer op, anything on guard retention, guard control, guard pass defense. Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 5:00 PM
bjjtek

Baby silver - I will put together some ideas and make a vid.

Demandango, I just finished two seminars this weekend dealing with all of the those topics. I taught six hours worth. My students filmed it, so I'll put together a few vids.
11/6/13 4:24 AM
demandango

Thanks!!! Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.