UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> during sparring today

10/27/13 3:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
armbarseverywhere
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I rolled with a big bellied guy. Slightly more experienced, he's a 4 stripe white I have 0. He probably had around 90 pounds on me (I'm about 145). He asked me to start from mount and instantly I felt disoriented. Usually when I get to mount it's with guys my size or slightly bigger and my hips end up being much lower than it was in this case, making it difficult to maintain the mount. Is there possibly a better way to hold mount or another position to maintain top control? Or possibly get back control?

I would imagine there are some riding techniques out there from wrestling or bjj such as single or double leg hooks. Any suggestions?
10/27/13 4:15 AM
dojo stormer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

with that much size difference there isn't much you can do to maintain a decent mount. you could stay on for a little bit but the guy is going to get you off.

10/27/13 4:30 AM
Robobear
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

North South or side control.  I'm 200 lbs and roll with a brown belt who is fast and technical and weighs 400lbs.  He's strong as Fahk also.  Mount ain't even in the game plan with a guy that size. 

10/27/13 5:08 AM
Goodo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Knee ride and transitions are your friend with these type of guys. You won't control him in one position so make sure you're quick and beat him in the transition. Phone Post 3.0
10/27/13 12:57 PM
Forrest Gimp

I think I saw a video of Rickson talking mount, or read it, where he talks about in mount digging your inside of the feet into their sides just above the hip-bone. This way you sort of straddle them like a rider getting on a horse or something. This makes it harder to push you down on their hip because the hipbone creates resistance, and it creates a superannoying mount because you won't feel heavy but you'll damn sure be very stuck on them when they shrimp or try bridge. It's worth giving a try unless you're still too outsized to get that mount.
10/27/13 1:03 PM
cross3dout
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seated mount. Then take the back. Always threaten chokes, chokes are free Phone Post 3.0
10/27/13 2:27 PM
Muzalini

Giraffix Inc, Graphic Designer
I use a higher mount and elbow scoop as quick as possible till I can isolate something, gotta be somewhat quick but I've found some success Phone Post 3.0
10/27/13 3:10 PM
armbarseverywhere
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys, I'll be working on it if possible this week. I didn't expect so many responses so soon.
10/27/13 4:38 PM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Muzalini - I use a higher mount and elbow scoop as quick as possible till I can isolate something, gotta be somewhat quick but I've found some success Phone Post 3.0

Dig your insteps in to big mans hips a la Rickson, stay low and ^ scoop the elbow up ^ then rush in high and tight. Prepare for a knee to sternum dismount followed by a north and south sparwl if things get upa-crazy. Good advice from your peers on here.
10/27/13 7:17 PM
Robobear
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

armbarseverywhere - Thanks guys, I'll be working on it if possible this week. I didn't expect so many responses so soon.

Also check out Rener Gracie's mount stuff. Really helped my mount retention and set ups.

10/27/13 8:04 PM
petch
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a bigger guy with the belly I will tell you what causes me trouble as a way to help.
Get a high mount. Get above the belly.
If possible forcing your knees as high in the armpits as you can. Guys that get my arms extended above my head cause me great trouble. Once there, start to threaten chokes.

10/27/13 11:43 PM
armbarseverywhere

Robobear - 
armbarseverywhere - Thanks guys, I'll be working on it if possible this week. I didn't expect so many responses so soon.

Also check out Rener Gracie's mount stuff. Really helped my mount retention and set ups.

http://youtu.be/EJeuHExDIVc

Found this video.
10/28/13 12:42 AM
athsportsnutrition
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Recovery Shakes for Combat Athletes
With that much of a weight difference Id recommend disconnection.. Ie float more instead of trying to stick the position. Knee on belly is good for that and running to their back. Phone Post 3.0
10/30/13 8:04 AM
killthetraitor
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I tap people with my mount Phone Post
10/30/13 12:31 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
596 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
11/1/13 9:03 AM
allchokedup
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i agree with floating around. I am asmall guy and when i roll with some 240+ big guys there is no way i am keeping them pinned. What works for me is moving to the next position. Like said above you have to know when to be "disconnected" and dont trap yourself to them. They turn over and you are doing with them. You want to be able to move as soon as you need to.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.