UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Riggs: 'I'm at the end of my career'

11/2/13 9:28 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1075 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Joe Riggs recently conducted an exclusive interview with MMAMania ahead of his fight Saturday night with Mike Bronzoulis in the Fight Master finals. The fight was delayed nearly two months after Riggs suffered an orbital fracture after a kick got through his gloves and headgear.

Riggs, who has been fighting since 2001, says he is near the end.

"I'm at the end of my career," said 'Diesel'. "Not because I can't compete, but there are other things I want to do in life. I want to make one more run at the title and then hang them up. It could take one year, it could take five."

"I think it's obvious when a fighter has had too much, he doesn't have the chin he used to, there are a lot of signs. For instance, Phil Baroni should have retired several years ago, but that goes for a lot of fighters, they attach their whole identity to fighting, it's hard for them to let go. I think fighters need to have someone in their camp to step up and tell them 'it's time to let go.'

"Even the commission has a responsibility. Look at Chuck Liddell, at one time he was invincible and then at the end it was gone. There is a shelf life on MMA careers."

Read entire article...

11/2/13 9:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OmgItsTheWams
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pitbull3744 - Damn brining up baroni and chuck ooh that might not end well for Riggs. Him and baroni are in the same weight class right? Phone Post 3.0

he beat baroni a few years back

11/2/13 10:32 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diesel
11/2/13 10:48 AM
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He did not say anything offensive or untrue. Best of luck to Diesel whatever he does. Phone Post 3.0
11/2/13 11:21 AM
savage043
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm guessing he retires after tonight then. If that's the case my heart says put the house on him but my brain says how many fighters go out on a win. Phone Post 3.0
11/2/13 11:31 AM
CaptainAhab
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Riggs is one of the few guys to continue to improve as his career winds down. I would love to see him go out a champ. War Diesel!
11/2/13 12:18 PM
CindyO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love that guy and wish him the best!

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
11/2/13 12:29 PM
time traveling 12er
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope he goes out on a win.
11/2/13 12:53 PM
CaptainAhab
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Atkinson - 
CaptainAhab - Riggs is one of the few guys to continue to improve as his career winds down. I would love to see him go out a champ. War Diesel!
Not sure I agree actually. Phone Post 3.0

That he is improving late in his career or that he is one of the few guys to do so?
11/2/13 4:44 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighting for a 95k win bonus tonight
11/2/13 7:56 PM
paul117

Edited: 11/02/13 7:56 PM
I hope this gets to Riggs...why is Phil on your mind?? Worry about yourself...what a scumbag throwing another fighter's name under the bus. What Riggs doesnt know is Phil holds his own at his camps...thats why no one tells him to quit. Oh yeah and Phil almost beat Riggs
11/2/13 8:20 PM
Santino DeFranco
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paul117 - I hope this gets to Riggs...why is Phil on your mind?? Worry about yourself...what a scumbag throwing another fighter's name under the bus. What Riggs doesnt know is Phil holds his own at his camps...thats why no one tells him to quit. Oh yeah and Phil almost beat Riggs

Easy killer. Riggs is just using a couple of names as examples of the point he's getting across. The truth is Baroni is fighting on borrowed time and his best days are behind him. And, Chuck, even Dana was calling for his retirement because he had been KO'd a few times in a row. Joe wasn't being derogatory, just stating facts.

When you get hit in the head for a living there's a finite number of punches you can take before your body doesn't respond the way it once did.
11/3/13 7:08 AM
Topsyjt
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great win for him last night though. Pleased he got the W and the dosh. Go and enjoy it now. Phone Post 3.0
11/3/13 11:32 AM
DirtehSneakehs

paul117 - I hope this gets to Riggs...why is Phil on your mind?? Worry about yourself...what a scumbag throwing another fighter's name under the bus. What Riggs doesnt know is Phil holds his own at his camps...thats why no one tells him to quit. Oh yeah and Phil almost beat Riggs
Haha Phil couldn't do shit if he even wanted too. Dude's cardio is so bad it makes my head hang. I remember when he returned and had his last few fights in the UFC and one of the commenters mentioned he wanted to make his own run at the WW belt. Lol. And also I got some cream for your diaper rash if it's still making you all pouty. Phone Post
11/3/13 11:39 AM
DirtehSneakehs

ToneybyArmbar -

Why does Joe Riggs have to smear/bring other fighters' names just to make his existence relevant? He pulled this shit a few months ago when telling that story about Joe Stevenson and Jay Heiron. His claim to fame is that he dropped from heavyweight to welterweight and once competed for the UFC welterweight strap against Matt Hughes, came in overweight and got submitted. Oh yeah and that epic hospital fight with Nick Diaz, and a DIESEL tattoo across his stomach. If he would've retired 2-3 years ago, nobody would have noticed.

Why does TonybyArmbar have to smear/bring other fighters' names just to make his existence relevant? He pulled this shit a few months ago by posting some dumbshit on a thread. His only claim to fame is to go online and bitch about other successful fighters that put their blood, sweat and tears into years of training. Oh yeah and that epic thread argument with some asshole and a TonyByArmbar username across his computer screen. If he would've retired 2-3 years ago, nobody would have noticed.

You're a idiot. Phone Post
11/3/13 12:56 PM
The Sultan
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Riggs isn't smearing anyone's name. Guys need to relax. Jesus. Phone Post
11/3/13 1:10 PM
Thatsjustlikeyouropionman

DirtehSneakehs -
ToneybyArmbar -

Why does Joe Riggs have to smear/bring other fighters' names just to make his existence relevant? He pulled this shit a few months ago when telling that story about Joe Stevenson and Jay Heiron. His claim to fame is that he dropped from heavyweight to welterweight and once competed for the UFC welterweight strap against Matt Hughes, came in overweight and got submitted. Oh yeah and that epic hospital fight with Nick Diaz, and a DIESEL tattoo across his stomach. If he would've retired 2-3 years ago, nobody would have noticed.

Why does TonybyArmbar have to smear/bring other fighters' names just to make his existence relevant? He pulled this shit a few months ago by posting some dumbshit on a thread. His only claim to fame is to go online and bitch about other successful fighters that put their blood, sweat and tears into years of training. Oh yeah and that epic thread argument with some asshole and a TonyByArmbar username across his computer screen. If he would've retired 2-3 years ago, nobody would have noticed.

Vu Phone Post 3.0
11/3/13 1:17 PM
Seats Taken
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thatsjustlikeyouropionman -
DirtehSneakehs -
ToneybyArmbar -

Vu Phone Post 3.0
VU also haha Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.