UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Where to train in Houston TX?

11/8/13 7:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cswhitey321
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys I need your help!

Ill be moving to Houston in January for a job transfer (yes I know it's muggy, yes I know there's traffic, yes I know you hate it).

Where do you recommend I go train BJJ? My MMA days are behind me and I just want to focus purely on BJJ now.

This will help determine where we live so let me know where you think is best!

Thanks trusty UG! Phone Post 3.0
11/8/13 8:09 AM
Muggler
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Houston is HUGE. What part of Houston will you be in? Phone Post 3.0
11/8/13 8:10 AM
Muggler
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nm, missed the last part of your post. You just looking for BJJ or an MMA gym? Phone Post 3.0
11/8/13 8:30 AM
cswhitey321
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm focusing on BJJ.

In leaning towards GB westchase or Daculinos just bc I'm at a GB now and id like to get my black from a GB Phone Post 3.0
11/8/13 8:58 AM
sly fox
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/08/13 8:59 AM

GB westchase is a good school for BJJ and wrestling... Ulpianos a great teacher plus there are always BBs coming through there, anderson leal world champ bjj and judo trains there a few times a week, Pablo silva teaches there I think one day and is minly at Dracs, and theres a tough BB called brian who is from new mexico I think, and the wrestling coach is an iranian olympian. Erik Wanderlay used to be there and comes and goes, he won the worlds a couple of times. One nice thing about their school is they have tons of classes.

Drac is a great dude, I think he travels a fair bit..there are a few other GBs in town but definitely those two are the two Id go for, if you are a student at one GB you can always drop in at another in Houston for free.

There are other bjj schools in houston as well, but in terms of GB schools you cnat go wrong with either of them, although id prefer not to live south east side where Dracs is.

11/8/13 9:38 AM
cswhitey321

sly fox -

GB westchase is a good school for BJJ and wrestling... Ulpianos a great teacher plus there are always BBs coming through there, anderson leal world champ bjj and judo trains there a few times a week, Pablo silva teaches there I think one day and is minly at Dracs, and theres a tough BB called brian who is from new mexico I think, and the wrestling coach is an iranian olympian. Erik Wanderlay used to be there and comes and goes, he won the worlds a couple of times. One nice thing about their school is they have tons of classes.

Drac is a great dude, I think he travels a fair bit..there are a few other GBs in town but definitely those two are the two Id go for, if you are a student at one GB you can always drop in at another in Houston for free.

There are other bjj schools in houston as well, but in terms of GB schools you cnat go wrong with either of them, although id prefer not to live south east side where Dracs is.

Thanks bro. If I go to dracs I'd rent a house in Friendswood. If I go westchase ill prob have to stick with an apartment around the galleria area unless I can find a decent neighborhood within driving distance that's affordable Phone Post 3.0
11/8/13 10:19 AM
Wade5000
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.GoldteamTX.com
11/8/13 10:26 AM
donedat34
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I trained at Ulpianos yesterday, man he is so techinacal and liek others have said there are several BB running through there.

My home Gym is GB Katy and professor Ted and Professor Pat are super great.

both teach at a super techinacl rate.

like sly fox said in Houston you just need a home gym, you can go to all of the gym in the area.

i go to ulpianos at lunch and my gym at night.

you cant go wrong at either place.
11/8/13 10:27 AM
donedat34
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ps----- i used super way to much in my last post. retard i am
11/8/13 11:25 AM
MdGeist
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just wanted to let you know that it's muggy, the traffic is horrible, and we all hate living here :-)

By the way, I live in the Friendswood/Webster area and the only BJJ school in the area is a Gracie Barra gym off at Nasa Road One and 45. Phone Post 3.0
11/8/13 11:35 AM
RowdyBec
636 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wade5000 - www.GoldteamTX.com
Yesss you know whats up :) Gold Team Houston is awesome and where I'm training atm :) Phone Post
11/8/13 11:37 AM
caseharts
510 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
4oz Phone Post
11/8/13 11:39 AM
IIAces

Elite MMA is really good too. They have 2-3 in Houston. Phone Post 3.0
11/8/13 11:40 AM
IIAces

donedat34 - I trained at Ulpianos yesterday, man he is so techinacal and liek others have said there are several BB running through there.

like sly fox said in Houston you just need a home gym, you can go to all of the gym in the area.

Your right next to me Phone Post 3.0
11/8/13 11:41 AM
IIAces

donedat34 - I trained at Ulpianos yesterday, man he is so techinacal and liek others have said there are several BB running through there.

GB Katy just had a girl in legacy fighting not long ago also. Phone Post 3.0
11/8/13 12:00 PM
Zapruder
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Prof Travis Tooke is a GB bb and has a FANTASTIC school. He is further north so it really matters where you are in Houston since it is so ridiculously huge
11/8/13 2:13 PM
cswhitey321

Awesome advice, thanks guys Phone Post 3.0
11/8/13 2:15 PM
ilovetortillas
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Team Tooke
11/8/13 2:15 PM
ilovetortillas
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zapruder - Prof Travis Tooke is a GB bb and has a FANTASTIC school. He is further north so it really matters where you are in Houston since it is so ridiculously huge

I work at the Spring location :P
11/8/13 2:34 PM
canofsticks
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MdGeist - Just wanted to let you know that it's muggy, the traffic is horrible, and we all hate living here :-)

By the way, I live in the Friendswood/Webster area and the only BJJ school in the area is a Gracie Barra gym off at Nasa Road One and 45. Phone Post 3.0

Where is this at exactly? I work off NASA Rd 1, but havent seen the gym. I'll have to look for it when I head to work on Tuesday.

There's also a Gracie Barra gym in the Woodlands.
11/8/13 2:38 PM
canofsticks

ilovetortillas - 
Zapruder - Prof Travis Tooke is a GB bb and has a FANTASTIC school. He is further north so it really matters where you are in Houston since it is so ridiculously huge

I trained at Kingwood MMA for a year or so, part of Team Tooke. Good people up there.
11/8/13 3:07 PM
jxr3008

canofsticks -
MdGeist - Just wanted to let you know that it's muggy, the traffic is horrible, and we all hate living here :-)

Where is this at exactly? I work off NASA Rd 1, but havent seen the gym. I'll have to look for it when I head to work on Tuesday.

There's also a Gracie Barra gym in the Woodlands.
It's in the same mall strip if star cinema grill and guitar center. Phone Post 3.0
11/8/13 3:32 PM
Zapruder

ilovetortillas - 

Awesome! Jace and I started training about the same time at the same school. Nothing like knowing someone since whitebelt and coming up with them
11/8/13 3:39 PM
AlphaMaleJP
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paradigm Training Center in Bellaire. Phone Post
11/8/13 5:03 PM
ilovetortillas

Zapruder - 
ilovetortillas - 

Awesome! Jace and I started training about the same time at the same school. Nothing like knowing someone since whitebelt and coming up with them

That is so cool.

A big hello to all the Team Tooke members on the thread!! *waves*

Houston is such a great community. So many great schools have been mentioned in this thread so far. So many more still to name. I say wait until you know where you will be living, find a home base and cross train all over. :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.