UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Shogun discusses potential cut to 185

11/8/13 11:04 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Mauricio Rua has won only one fight, vs. Brandon Vera, of his last four,. He has a loss for the ages to Dan Henderson, and most recently, lost two in a row, to Alexander Gustafsson and Chael Sonnen. 'Shogun' has a fight scheduled at 205 vs. James Te-Huna on Dec. 7, but there aftercould drop down to middleweight.

The news came during a fan Q&A prior to the UFN 32 weigh-ins in Goiania, Brazil.

"It might happen, but for now I have a fight scheduled," said Rua as transcribed by MMAFighting. "I would have to do some medical exams to check if it’s possible."

"My normal weight is 228, 231 pounds. Maybe I can, and maintain my performance. I would need to think about it, but that’s something that can happen."

11/8/13 11:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DaemonDragon
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm glad he's considering this, finally. He's always stubbornly said in the past the cut would be too much for him, which has always been BS.

He weighed 96kg in cage for the first Machida fight, that's only 211-212 pounds, and he still clearly had some fat he could cut. He could make 185 fairly easily - *if* he had the discipline.

Whether Shogun would be truly committed to the cut is the only question. Physically, he could easily make it.
11/8/13 11:11 PM
TheVileOne
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shogun previously said he'd have to cut off a leg to make 185 lbs.
11/8/13 11:12 PM
slamming
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maintain performance?  The lack of performance is entirely the issue.

Good luck Mauricio.  You are the reason i bought tickets to your next fight.

11/8/13 11:21 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he really has a cage weight of around 210-212 as a poster above said, then he could very likely cut successfully to 185. Shogun is past his prime but is still a good fighter. Perhaps fighting at 185 would be a good move if for no other reason than that he would have to work more on his conditioning to fight at MW.

How crazy would that be though? Having both Shogun and Machdia drop to MW along with the recent acquisitions of Jacare (and possibly Mousasi if he fights at MW) makes the UFC MW division thick and the LHW division a bit lacking.
11/8/13 11:24 PM
DaemonDragon
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheVileOne - Shogun previously said he'd have to cut off a leg to make 185 lbs.

And all Shogun fans knew this was simply untrue, he's never been a big 205er and there are bigger 185ers than him.

It's always been about diet, discipline and cardio work - there was never any doubt that Shogun could make 185 with those if he really wanted too. His denials about making it were either about pride, laziness, or both.

Sad that's it's come to this for him to finally seriously consider the weight cut. Hopefully whether he beats Te Huna or not is irrelevant to his decision - it's not like a win over Te Huna would make him relevant at 205, so even if he wins he'd still be better off at 185. One could definitely see Shogun as a top 10 185er. The top 5-6 at 185 has become stacked, but after Weidman/Anderson/Vitor/Machida/Jacare and maybe Mousasi, there's a big drop to the Bisping/Rockhold level.
Rambo John J - A shredded Shogun could probably kick again, hopefully.

I don't think being shredded has anything to do with his inability to kick. He can't kick because of all the knee injuries, don't see how being shredded would help with that.
11/8/13 11:27 PM
DaemonDragon

Chiron - If he really has a cage weight of around 210-212 as a poster above said, then he could very likely cut successfully to 185. Shogun is past his prime but is still a good fighter.

There's no way I could find the video now, but yes, in a video interview after the first Machida bout he stated he was 96kg in cage against Machida.

Him saying he's 230 pounds and such is his off-season flabby weight. After a camp he's much smaller than that.
11/8/13 11:28 PM
dubate
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Motivated Shogun cannot be stopped. You must hespect his cardio and his knees. Phone Post
11/8/13 11:30 PM
Snayke13
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love shogun. But the guy is gonna fight until hes legally retarded if no one stops him.

That said im pumped for his fight vs te huna and the potential matchups at 185 for him.if he decides to drop. Phone Post
11/8/13 11:33 PM
RooJitsu
456 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get him dolce. Phone Post
11/9/13 1:20 AM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaemonDragon - 
Chiron - If he really has a cage weight of around 210-212 as a poster above said, then he could very likely cut successfully to 185. Shogun is past his prime but is still a good fighter.

There's no way I could find the video now, but yes, in a video interview after the first Machida bout he stated he was 96kg in cage against Machida.

Him saying he's 230 pounds and such is his off-season flabby weight. After a camp he's much smaller than that.

I believe you, I just had to say "as a poster above said" because I haven't seen the video myself.
11/9/13 1:28 AM
DevilsAdvocate
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He wants another belt and probably thinks he can get a crack at Lyoto should Lyoto somehow get by Weidman or Silva. Phone Post
11/9/13 1:33 AM
WhoShotYushinOkami
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaemonDragon - 
TheVileOne - Shogun previously said he'd have to cut off a leg to make 185 lbs.

And all Shogun fans knew this was simply untrue, he's never been a big 205er and there are bigger 185ers than him.

It's always been about diet, discipline and cardio work - there was never any doubt that Shogun could make 185 with those if he really wanted too. His denials about making it were either about pride, laziness, or both.

Sad that's it's come to this for him to finally seriously consider the weight cut. Hopefully whether he beats Te Huna or not is irrelevant to his decision - it's not like a win over Te Huna would make him relevant at 205, so even if he wins he'd still be better off at 185. One could definitely see Shogun as a top 10 185er. The top 5-6 at 185 has become stacked, but after Weidman/Anderson/Vitor/Machida/Jacare and maybe Mousasi, there's a big drop to the Bisping/Rockhold level.
Rambo John J - A shredded Shogun could probably kick again, hopefully.

I don't think being shredded has anything to do with his inability to kick. He can't kick because of all the knee injuries, don't see how being shredded would help with that.

Yeah I would have to agree that he could have always made 185.

Ive met him 3 times. One time right after he beat Machida and 2 others during a seminar when he was not in shape.

The 2 times he was not in shape, it was obvious he was flabby and very out of shape. He must have been 225 both of those times and I think between training camps/fights, hes always let himself go a bit and that IMO is what held him back from 185.

11/9/13 2:56 AM
kingkoopa

I hope he doesn't cut

He has a pretty thin layer of fat and little muscle underneath.

Imo he'll look like skeletor. He has no where to cut from. Phone Post
11/9/13 3:08 AM
AllAmericanBoxing
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kingkoopa - I hope he doesn't cut

He has a pretty thin layer of fat and little muscle underneath.

Imo he'll look like skeletor. He has no where to cut from. Phone Post
A 200 plus pound athlete who hits like a fucking ton of bricks has little muscle? How does one come to this assessment??? Phone Post
11/9/13 3:09 AM
TheThrill
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shogun vs vitor at 185 would be great
11/9/13 3:27 AM
CHAUNCH

I was hoping he would have done this years ago. He's just too old make much of a difference anymore.
11/9/13 5:56 AM
Sudo21
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shogun needs to get rid of homemade camps and coaches, go back to Cordeiro and he can be a force at 205 or 185.
When is is surrounded by bunch of yes man, he can cut to 170 and it won't matter.
11/9/13 8:35 AM
Blazing Knees

He's alaways looked tubby to me-spare tire around his waist and noodle arms. Look how ripped Machida looks at 185 and I always thought he 'looked' soft at 205.

It might rejuvinate his career
11/9/13 8:56 AM
Stephen Holder

The last time I made a thread on here about the need for the ufc adding a 195 lb division and a super heavyweight divison so guys like Dos Santos n Shogun/Rashad/Sonnen could potentially have meaningful careers working toward getting gold someone immediately responded 'hey no why don't we just make a division for every other pound, instead.' I have to admit I laughed but look at the alternative. Look at what's happening, guys like Shogun n Dos Santos are gonna fuckin stroke desperately trying to cut weight so they might have a shot at getting a title. Either that or we're gonna get guys who survive one or two weightcuts n drop down enought to dominate, get gold and may not be able to make weight consistently again and we're stuck with a Paulo Filo/sonnen Luter/Silva situation where they have to announce the night before the fight that the next day's bout won't be for the divison strap..
11/9/13 1:34 PM
Wasa-B
333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaemonDragon - I'm glad he's considering this, finally. He's always stubbornly said in the past the cut would be too much for him, which has always been BS.

He weighed 96kg in cage for the first Machida fight, that's only 211-212 pounds, and he still clearly had some fat he could cut. He could make 185 fairly easily - *if* he had the discipline.

Whether Shogun would be truly committed to the cut is the only question. Physically, he could easily make it.

How do you know this personally? He is now older and pretty broken down and has he ever cut to 185 in his pro career? What makes you certain that he can do it now and fight at optimum shape? He is pretty thick and even in Pride, he had to cut to make 205. In fact, 1 Pride event, he actually had to get a gimme or didnt make it on his first try iirc. Everyone thought it was Nakamura and that the hometown boys were getting a slide but distinctly remember Shogun did not make intial weight once.

So from 230 as an older, broken down fighter to 185 for the first time in his pro career is a certainty?
11/9/13 1:40 PM
Wasa-B
333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shogun was never very ripped in Pride either when he was in his early to mid 20s. Not saying he cant make 185 now but i just question those who think he can for sure and be comfortable with it.

2005 MW GP, he woulda been around 24, he's 31 now.  He looks pretty par for his age now 8 years later.

11/9/13 1:42 PM
Wasa-B

Honestly, IF he was able to do the cut comfortably, it may help but i think he is too broken down now. What good is a weight cut to a faster weight class when his speed is gone? Seems his knee or whatever it is has caught too much mileage, im not sure what can help with that.

What about this getting submitted to a MW in Chael? Granted Chael is a large MW who used to fight at LHW, i think they were pretty even in size, Shogun even took him down but ....
11/9/13 2:08 PM
Ray Cappa

He said he's walking at 230. He ain't no spring chick. I think it's a TERRIBLE idea. If we was a big weight cutter he would've done it long ago. Everybody thinks dropping a weight class is the answer to their woes. Phone Post 3.0
11/9/13 4:28 PM
Wasa-B

Ray Cappa - He said he's walking at 230. He ain't no spring chick. I think it's a TERRIBLE idea. If we was a big weight cutter he would've done it long ago. Everybody thinks dropping a weight class is the answer to their woes. Phone Post 3.0

This.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.