UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC Fight Night 30 Only Got 32,000 Viewers In UK

11/9/13 8:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FOTN
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, it looks as if BT Sport's coverage of the UFC has got off to a bad start in the UK.

UFC Fight Night 30 in Manchester, England aired during primetime in the UK on BT Sport 2 yet only got 32,000 viewers!

The event also only pulled 122,000 viewers on FOX Sports 2 in the U.S so it seems like it was a bit of a disaster all-round.

More info here...

http://www.fightofthenight.com/news/ufc-fight-night-30-watched-just-32000-viewers-bt-sport-2-uk
11/9/13 8:08 AM
DiscoNfrno
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That because it was an atrocious card.  The only fight I even cared to see was Liz Carmouche, and she came in juiced to the gills just to get dominated by someone I've never even heard of.

11/9/13 8:09 AM
FOTN
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're thinking of UFC Fight Night 31. This was UFN 30 from a couple of weeks ago headlined by Machida and Munoz.
11/9/13 8:11 AM
guardbr8kr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DiscoNfrno - 

That because it was an atrocious card.  The only fight I even cared to see was Liz Carmouche, and she came in juiced to the gills just to get dominated by someone I've never even heard of.

You've never heard of Alexis Davis????
11/9/13 8:12 AM
Ktaco
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

guardbr8kr - 
DiscoNfrno - 

Beat me to it.
11/9/13 8:14 AM
Chromium
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Outside of Machida and Pearson vs Guillard, there was pretty much nothing I cared about on that card. Well, I suppose I cared about Rosi Sexton because she responds to my questions on twitter, but that didn't end well for her =/

11/9/13 8:23 AM
DiscoNfrno
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/09/13 8:24 AM

Well I definitely have heard of her now.  

Sorry I got the wrong card.

UFC fight night was a decent card.  

My apologies.

11/9/13 8:36 AM
FOTN

It wasn't a great card, but the fact that it was a UK card airing at prime time there instead of 3am as is the norm, then this should have done a lot better.

The fact that it wasn't well publicized and was put on BT Sport 2 meant it never really stood a chance though.
11/9/13 9:04 AM
DirtehSneakehs

Who cares? MMA is MMA, ratings are given too much consideration by people that it doesn't even concern, us the consumer. Phone Post
11/9/13 9:12 AM
FOTN

Edited: 11/09/13 9:12 AM
Of course it concerns us. If the ratings are consistently bad then that's going to affect how the networks approach their coverage of MMA.

For example - if the 'UFC On FOX' cards were doing stellar ratings then they'd be eager to have more than four of them in a year.

Conversely, the fact that TUF failed to really make it's mark on FX is a big reason why it was shipped off to Fox Sports 1.
11/9/13 11:29 AM
Jimmi fixed my sn
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ktaco -
guardbr8kr - 
DiscoNfrno - 

Beat me to it.
Wrong card guys Phone Post 3.0
11/9/13 11:36 AM
Bruham
415 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FOTN - Of course it concerns us. If the ratings are consistently bad then that's going to affect how the networks approach their coverage of MMA.

For example - if the 'UFC On FOX' cards were doing stellar ratings then they'd be eager to have more than four of them in a year.

Conversely, the fact that TUF failed to really make it's mark on FX is a big reason why it was shipped off to Fox Sports 1.
I realize you're talking out of your ass, most of us do, but isn't the UFC contracted for four events on Fox a year? That was the mutually agreed to contractual obligation. I would think that isnt really an issue that's as easy as "if we want more we will immediately have more".

And you don't think pulling TUF from FX to FS1 had anything to do with the fact Fox was starting a sports network, and needed I don't know, sports programming? Similar to how they are branding FXX as their comedy channel and took the League and It's Always Sunny from FX to FXX? Phone Post
11/9/13 11:54 AM
Tad Ghostal
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ESPN was getting better numbers for events in the early hours of the morning.
11/9/13 12:03 PM
MMALOGIC

the UFC event was the 3rd most watched show on the channel for that entire week.

11/9/13 12:25 PM
FOTN

Bruham - 
FOTN - Of course it concerns us. If the ratings are consistently bad then that's going to affect how the networks approach their coverage of MMA.

I realize you're talking out of your ass, most of us do, but isn't the UFC contracted for four events on Fox a year? That was the mutually agreed to contractual obligation. I would think that isnt really an issue that's as easy as "if we want more we will immediately have more".

And you don't think pulling TUF from FX to FS1 had anything to do with the fact Fox was starting a sports network, and needed I don't know, sports programming? Similar to how they are branding FXX as their comedy channel and took the League and It's Always Sunny from FX to FXX? Phone Post

Being contractually obliged to do four is more of a minimum requirement than anything else though. There's no way that they signed a seven year deal that only ever allows them to have a certain amount of events on each channel per year, because all sorts of things can change over the years. There's always room for manoeuvre.

As for TUF on FX, of course I'm sure that was a possibility, but TUF sits in that spot between reality TV and sport so there was a case to be made for it to remain on that channel too. If it had been a hit with mainstream TV viewers as well as MMA fans then there would have been a strong case to keep it on FX, rather than move it to a dedicated sports channel where it misses out on those casual viewers.
11/9/13 12:28 PM
MMALOGIC

FOTN - Of course it concerns us. If the ratings are consistently bad then that's going to affect how the networks approach their coverage of MMA.

UFC on fox numbers beat major league basballs numbers in the same time slot.  The numbers are great.  There are only 4 because fox just launched fs1 and this is more of a priority so more ufc content is needed there. 

The last season of tuf did very well on fx... in fact there's not a single program on spike that has a better demo average than tuf17.   The last season of tuf actually beat anger management (fx's comedy series).     Again fs1 launched and fox needs programming for that network whereas  FX is already established.

11/9/13 12:33 PM
FOTN

MMALOGIC - 

the UFC event was the 3rd most watched show on the channel for that entire week.

True, it says that in the article, but it's hard to spin that as being a success.

Consider the fact that a Fight Night card airing a couple of Wednesday's earlier at a much later time of night did 26,000 viewers on BT Sport 2.

Essentially, despite putting on a live event in the UK during primetime hours, they only gained an extra 6,000 viewers.

Needless to say, that's dire. It's not the UFC's fault - a lot of the blame lies with BT Sport for not doing enough to get the word out, and for putting it on their secondary channel.
11/9/13 12:36 PM
FOTN

MMALOGIC - 
FOTN - Of course it concerns us. If the ratings are consistently bad then that's going to affect how the networks approach their coverage of MMA.

UFC on fox numbers beat major league basballs numbers in the same time slot.  The numbers are great.  There are only 4 because fox just launched fs1 and this is more of a priority so more ufc content is needed there. 

The last season of tuf did very well on fx... in fact there's not a single program on spike that has a better demo average than tuf17.   The last season of tuf actually beat anger management (fx's comedy series).     Again fs1 launched and fox needs programming for that network whereas  FX is already established.

How did those demo's compare with previous seasons of TUF back on the Spike days though?

TUF 17 did ok based on what we'd seen from the previous two installments on FX, but let's be realistic, when the UFC first arrived on FX everyone believed they were going to pull better numbers than they had on Spike, but it just didn't happen.
11/9/13 12:41 PM
SRTGEO

ffs...make a new forum for the 3 or 4 people who actually give a fuck about ratings. Phone Post
11/9/13 12:50 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 11/09/13 1:09 PM

^ what does that matter?  The numbers for tuf 17 were better than most original programming for any cable program.  It was certainly good enough to stay on fx.  It improved fx numbers in every measure. 

Tuf 17 numbers werent good becuase the previous 2 installments sucked... it was good compared to everything else in television.

11/9/13 1:11 PM
FOTN

MMALOGIC - 

^ what does that matter?  The numbers for tuf 17 were better than most original programming for any cable program.  It was certainly good enough to stay on fx.  It improved fx numbers in every measure. 

Tuf 17 numbers werent good becuase the previous 2 installments sucked... it was good compared to everything else in television.

As I said earlier, compare those demo's to when TUF was on Spike TV. I've just looked up a random example - TUF 14 episode 7 on Spike had a 1.48 ratings amongst M18-49 and 1.5 million viewers.

TUF 15 and 16 were bad, but TUF 17 was just ok, and still down on the Spike TV days despite the fact they pulled out all the stops with Jones and Sonnen as coaches.
11/9/13 1:22 PM
MarcVanBas

It was up against Kell Brook on sky sports
11/9/13 1:26 PM
MMALOGIC

^ again what does that matter?  the same way it doesnt matter that tuf 17 was up from tuf 16 and 15...   the trend was going up.  All that matters is that tuf was improving FX's audience by every measure.... that's what determines whether or not a program is successful on a network.

Tuf was the #1 program on spike.  Spike has yet to get anything even remotely close to what tuf used to pull in the key demos.

11/9/13 1:27 PM
Pancake Syrup Ali
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the highest ratings a bt sport even has gotten is around 70K for SPL games. BT sport 2 is much like Fox Sports 2 in the US it seems like. Also mma in the uk isn't big....i don't know why some people think it is but it's tiny in the uk. Boxing is and will always be the king there 

11/9/13 1:31 PM
rexthedog
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was also on the Saturday night before Halloween, that's why I didn't watch it live, I was drinking with friends before going out and there was no way the girls wanted to watch that so I recorded it.. Had it been a different weekend I would have watched live Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.