UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Is Glory the real threat to the UFC?

12/21/13 10:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ABE FROMAN CRE-AMED ME
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spike established themselves as the home of combat sports thanks to a lengthy relationship with the UFC.

With Glory on Spike now and Floyd Mayweather Jr. becoming personally invested in the company, should Glory be considered the #1 threat to the UFC?

The UFC by not signing guys like Ben Askren and cutting guys like Yushin Okami/Jon Fitch due to their grappling clinic style maybe has backed themselves into a corner. The fans they are catering to directly might be better served watching GLORY.

By seemingly making it known that a grappling dominant style is frowned upon by the brass of Zuffa, has the UFC in essence helped to promote the GLORY product?

Spike is providing Bellator MMA and GLORY, this makes it easy to DVR.

With the UFC making it increasingly difficult to find their product by spreading themselves over multiple TV networks and now a NEW digital network, will the lazy LCM demographic naturally gravitate to Spike's all in one package?

The UFC by not signing Askren, releasing Okami and Fitch let it be known that they are not providing a format that truly determines who the best fighter in the world is.

The UFC refuses to participate in the tournament format that would lend true credibility to a new Welterweight Champion. By excluding Askren the taint is strong, most believe Askren to be the best 170 in the world at grappling in MMA, styles make fights.

Jake Shields will probably end up the Champ @ 170, but Askren was tooling him in sparring from we have seen.
12/21/13 11:03 PM
JoshSanchez
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"the taint is strong." ...

heh

12/21/13 11:06 PM
MartialArtsMixed
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gsp actually retired because the rumors were that askren was coming to the UFC. Phone Post 3.0
12/21/13 11:10 PM
kinson

The ufc is the longest running fad in history. Phone Post 3.0
12/21/13 11:15 PM
Codex Alimentarius

JoshSanchez -

"the taint is strong." ...

heh

I teared up Phone Post 3.0
12/21/13 11:26 PM
knee smash

Nobody cares about kickboxing Phone Post 3.0
12/21/13 11:28 PM
Jimmi fixed my sn
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They dont need to compete... Phone Post 3.0
12/21/13 11:34 PM
XcessiveZ
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Idiot. Phone Post 3.0
12/21/13 11:39 PM
lifeaftrprison
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is Floyd there for glory or Viacom ? He does have a huge deal with them correct ? Could get interesting if they start doing some PR for Bellator with him. Phone Post 3.0
12/21/13 11:48 PM
DTAlexONE
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Glory is awesome.

The more that combat sports in general is promoted, the better. Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 5:28 AM
TenOfSwords
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glory does have one advantage over the UFC.

They can put on events in New York.

12/22/13 5:56 AM
r_o_y

ABE FROMAN CRE-AMED ME - Spike established themselves as the home of combat sports thanks to a lengthy relationship with the UFC.

With Glory on Spike now and Floyd Mayweather Jr. becoming personally invested in the company, should Glory be considered the #1 threat to the UFC?

The UFC by not signing guys like Ben Askren and cutting guys like Yushin Okami/Jon Fitch due to their grappling clinic style maybe has backed themselves into a corner. The fans they are catering to directly might be better served watching GLORY.

By seemingly making it known that a grappling dominant style is frowned upon by the brass of Zuffa, has the UFC in essence helped to promote the GLORY product?

Spike is providing Bellator MMA and GLORY, this makes it easy to DVR.

With the UFC making it increasingly difficult to find their product by spreading themselves over multiple TV networks and now a NEW digital network, will the lazy LCM demographic naturally gravitate to Spike's all in one package?

The UFC by not signing Askren, releasing Okami and Fitch let it be known that they are not providing a format that truly determines who the best fighter in the world is.

The UFC refuses to participate in the tournament format that would lend true credibility to a new Welterweight Champion. By excluding Askren the taint is strong, most believe Askren to be the best 170 in the world at grappling in MMA, styles make fights.

Jake Shields will probably end up the Champ @ 170, but Askren was tooling him in sparring from we have seen.

tournaments aren't always that great. the strikeforce tournament ended with an alternate winning the whole thing. not sure why everyone is so high on tournaments. one or two injuries or freak events...a shitty decision...then it's all a mess.
12/22/13 7:53 AM
Joeymarvelous
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel like you're looking at it all wrong. The best blankets are not the best fighters, and by cutting these men, they can no longer manipulate flaws in judging criteria that allow fighters to gain hollow victories by avoiding fights. Which is often all they're doing, and by saying; "I won't (can't) hurt you, so I'll hold you down so you can't hurt me" these competitors become the horizontal version of Kalib Starnes, taking no damage, and offering no damage.

On the threat of GLORY, I'd say that most younger combat sports fans already like all combat sports, and so long as there isn't much counter programming, then the growth of one ultimately helps the other. Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 8:12 AM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I started out in 1991 with kickboxing and muay thai. It has always been my first love. There have been failed attempts to get kickboxing on tv in the US. I think they have turned a corner for two reasons. Fans of the UFC love a slugfest. The fighters generally are marketed on their striking prowess and ko's. The level of kickboxing 10 years ago was not what it is today. You see fighters like Nieki the tournament winner and you see pure skill in boxing and kicking , knees. all of them are sharp sharp sharp. Clean striking. The new generation of kicboxers are way above that of ten years ago. And Glory offers 3 rounds where a person cannot coast, hold a man down and refs push the action. The heavyweights are technically far above the old guys.

I don't see it being the franchise the UFC is but damn if it isn't the vision I had always hoped it would be. Evolution. The public can stomach it.

12/22/13 8:20 AM
perenialquest

I love both Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 8:24 AM
redeye2000

now there is much more money to be made in mma then in kickboxing.

when K-1 was around Kickboxing was huge. now it is almost nothing. i see BJJ and mma rising here in the Netherlands. kickxboxing is still here on amateur level, but on profesional level it has gone down a lot.

also because of all the maffia involment, it aint possible to do anymore shows here in The Netherlands to.

actually last i heard they are trying to regulate kickboxing in the Netherlands on a profesional level. the big problem is they want to use people that have ties with the maffia, if that happens then nothing will change.

it is all a power game for money, but never for the sport itself.
12/22/13 8:27 AM
Haadogei

it's boring to most people.

It's like Rugby 7's, some hardcore fans think it is some secret path to rugby taking over America but most people don't know about it and wouldn't like it if they saw it.
12/22/13 8:37 AM
Dana Stern

Glory will never take over or compete, I watched last night and have watched before. The big gloves and limited attacking abilities meaning just stand up limits unpredictability. UFC is just too exciting and versatile. Phone Post
12/22/13 8:54 AM
ABE FROMAN CRE-AMED ME

Dana Stern - Glory will never take over or compete, I watched last night and have watched before. The big gloves and limited attacking abilities meaning just stand up limits unpredictability. UFC is just too exciting and versatile. Phone Post

Agreed.
12/22/13 9:25 AM
theGunslinger12
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I look forward to glory as much if not more as a good UFC card now. Glory Tokyo didn't have a bad fight on it Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 1:25 PM
Bry Bry

no way will Glory even become popular in USA..i thought i was going to be a big fan until i started watching it..Glory is ok, a few good fights here and there but its kind of boring tbh.,.
12/22/13 1:43 PM
MrMead
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bry Bry - no way will Glory even become popular in USA..i thought i was going to be a big fan until i started watching it..Glory is ok, a few good fights here and there but its kind of boring tbh.,.
I have no idea how you can say that the Glory shows on Spike have been boring. That's just crazy talk. Phone Post 3.0
12/22/13 2:20 PM
mkutta4

Great. Another Askren post. Phone Post 3.0
12/23/13 12:38 PM
john joe
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana Stern - Glory will never take over or compete, I watched last night and have watched before. The big gloves and limited attacking abilities meaning just stand up limits unpredictability. UFC is just too exciting and versatile. Phone Post

thats one of the dumbest things i ever read on this site

"just stand up" makes for boring fights? OK
12/23/13 12:40 PM
john joe
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bry Bry - no way will Glory even become popular in USA..i thought i was going to be a big fan until i started watching it..Glory is ok, a few good fights here and there but its kind of boring tbh.,.

your opinion is at odds with, i would say, about 97% of the rest of the comments on here and on the net

of all the words anyone could use about glory fights, 'boring' is not the one

are you a BJJ guy or something? No fight fan would find glory boring; as the poster two posts above says, that is literally crazy talk

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.