UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fedor versus Anderson: Who is the GOAT?

1/3/14 8:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
stevekt
591 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson because Dana said so. Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 8:20 PM
RyannVonDoom
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor by a fucking mile. He was 230 fighting hw, beating guys in their strengths and went undefeated for 10 years. Anderson? yeah.. no. 

1/3/14 8:30 PM
upaloompa
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor's best competition was probably better than Anderson's, and he was as dominant.

Anderson's weaknesses were always obvious and he struggled as much or more than Fedor. Cote, Leites, Maia, a Lutter fight he nearly lost to, Irvin, Bonnar are by no means bad fighters, some of them are brilliant if in the wrong weightclass but they don't scream "top competetion" either. Anderson was impressive in the fights he finished amongst these, and I wouldn't disparage them but saying Anderson fought nothing but the best is somewhat off the mark.

Now Anderson's "weak" opponents were still stronger than the cans, but if we're comparing their success over top comp I think as individuals Fedor faced the tougher guys.

Hendo and Franklin were huge wins, Vitor was a quality win as well but after that you've got Chael, Okami, Griffin which are all decent but probably not all time greats on a skills level.

Big Nog, Prime Mirko and Andrei are all at least as good with Sylvia and Herring being on the next tier, Coleman was getting on but is still an ATG, Randleman was tough as well.

Don't get me wrong, writing them out they're very very close and Anderson faced less low tier opponents but if we're looking at how they do against their best ones it's pretty close.

Also, I think GSP is the GOAT as his top competition and his average competition was better than either Anderson or Fedor and he had significantly fewer "trouble spots", lost fewer rounds than the other 2. I understand a lot of people feel stoppages are an important criteria (which to be fair he did against Hughes x2,Penn) and if that's what they value it makes sense, but Georges was as dominant against better guys. Beating Hughesx2, mauling Fitch and Penn, beating Condit are just better quality wins than most of Fedor and Andy's best except maybe Nog and Hendo and even so Hughes is an ATG on a similar level and while Condit has work to do I think he's a tougher fight than either. I didn't even touch on Penn because BJ was the smaller man. Georges fought and beat better guys SOUNDLY and while I can understand those not liking his style ranking him lower, I think history will be kindest to him compared to the other 2 and that's because he has a really good case based off of dominating the most elite.
1/3/14 8:37 PM
Genghis84

Anthomis - 
MySonTommyGunn - Fedor for me. I always think if you were to build a fighter to beat them what would you build? For Anderson you would build a good wrestler with decent BJJ but for Fedor what could you build? In his prime was the hardest man in the sport. So Fedor is the GOAT for me, just my opinion. Phone Post 3.0
Bigfoot Silva or anyone like him Phone Post 3.0

It would be someone who can take him down and elbow him in the face. His only glaring physical weakness was his skin was tissue paper thin. He also had a tendency to break his hands, and couldn't GnP later in his career. But that was due to his unorthodox casting punches.
1/3/14 9:10 PM
BreakALegAndy!

Anderson vs who? Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 9:19 PM
UGCTT_Nightkap
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man if only there was a current vote thread about this right now...
:-P Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 9:49 PM
nhbmark2

Without seeing who each fighter fought side by side and putting thought into it ( where was the fighter defeated by either GOAT was in their career. I'd lean toward Fedor. Phone Post 3.0
1/3/14 9:56 PM
Captfireeyes
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FRAT warning!

One of the reasons I hold Fedor above Anderson is that during Fedor's run he seemed to never lose a round. While Anderson frequently lost the first round or more before coming back to win (so much so that his fans claim he was baiting Weidman/ wearing him out). And when Fedor did get in trouble (Fujita and Randleman) he came back instantly and finished his opponent. He also beat fighters at their strength. In the first fight with Big Nog, nobody thought he would stand a chance inside Nogs guard. Not only did he stay there, he beat the shit out of him there. He stood with Prime Cro Cop and won by pushing him back and staying aggressive. Fedor was also considered small for a heavyweight. Most 205 fighters today weigh more than Fedor did.

When you look at Anderson's record, while impressive, a lot of his opponents are now fighting at WW (Maia, Marquart and Cote briefly) or retired (Griffin, Bonnar) or were cut shortly after (Okami, Lutter, Lietes, Cote, Irving). His victories over Franklin, Hendo and Vitor were huge... However, Hendo was coming off a loss and Vitor had a year and a half layoff before he fought Anderson. Aside from Sakurai and Franklin, he doesn't seem to have many victories over great fighters at their peak.

What makes Anderson special is the way he finished his opponents in highlight reel fashion. But he also had some downright dreadful fights (Cote, Lietes and especially Maia!). Fedor simply went in, got the job done and went about his business.

At the end of Fedor's career he lost to Werdum and Bigfoot who have consistently been top 10 since, and Hendo who is a top 10 GOAT. Fedor started winning and didn't stop until 10+ years into his career and after spending 7 years as the #1 heavyweight in the world, a division with the highest finish percentage where anything could happen (Randleman/Gonzaga vs Cro Cop, Mir vs Big Nog 1, Couture vs Sylvia). While Anderson has losses to Azuredo, Takase and Chonen before going on his spectacular run in the UFC.

Fedor fought his fair share of cans, I will admit that, but he dispatched of them quickly and viciously. And made some good fighters look like cans (Goodridge and Sylvia).

Those are the reasons I hold Fedor as GOAT, doesn't mean you can't rank Silva higher. But to those who are quick to discredit Fedor and his accomplishments simply shouldn't be taken seriously in my opinion.

FRAT over! Phone Post 3.0
1/4/14 12:33 PM
Jack Slack
1753 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This one didn't inspire as much discussion as I anticipated :P

1/4/14 12:45 PM
RexKwonDo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor by far
1/4/14 12:55 PM
StrikingMMA
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor no question.

Anderson lost to a guy on his talent level when he didn't have a size advantage as he was used to.

Fedor always beat everyone including larger guys than he was most of his career.
1/4/14 1:02 PM
iCameiLostiRetiredDiaz

Fedor, and if the two fought both in their primes. Fedor wins easily imo Phone Post 3.0
1/4/14 1:03 PM
OzMafioso
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kevsh - "I asked my editor to throw some click bait titles at me"

Editor must be a UGer, he knew we get this thread about 5 times a day here.
VTFU Phone Post 3.0
1/4/14 1:36 PM
GaspareBJJ
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor.

Always fought out of his weight class/tons of heavier guys, he ruled the best (at the time) HW division in Pride. He also beat 5? UFC Champions and went 9 years undefeated (10 if you do not count the cut). Phone Post 3.0
1/4/14 2:25 PM
FETT_UGCTT_LnPninja

StrikingMMA - Fedor no question.

Anderson lost to a guy on his talent level when he didn't have a size advantage as he was used to.

Fedor always beat everyone including larger guys than he was most of his career.
Um....Anderson was never a massive MW. He started fighting at 167, came in UNDER 185 for like 4-5 of his title defenses, and is proven to be 195-202 in the cage at MW.

Franklin
Okami
Sonnen
Wiedman
Bonnar
Griffin
Belfort
Irvin
Lutter

All (most likely) weighed more than him in the cage. Phone Post 3.0
1/4/14 2:34 PM
SevenLeggedSpider
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor

1/4/14 2:46 PM
hellride
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor by stoic russianism
1/4/14 2:56 PM
ufc98newb
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Slack - 

This one didn't inspire as much discussion as I anticipated :P

There was already a couple of these threads that got done to death in the last couple of weeks. If you would have waited another month or two, this would have over 200 hits by now.
1/4/14 3:10 PM
Slade Wilson AKA Deathstroke

Anderson and it isn't even close. Phone Post 3.0
1/4/14 10:04 PM
ThomasVonTommington

@ Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 8:53 AM
Entreri

GOAT is up for grabs, my list would be GSP, Anderson and Fedor.

Neither Fedor nor Anderson avenged ANY losses. Fedor's TKO "loss" to a Japanese can early in his career not counted (it was not a loss to begin with).

Anderson beat Henderson, Fedor lost to Henderson. Anderson lost early in his career in Pride.

Positives and negatives to both. Both had real reigns for about 5 years (Fedor as champ Pride, Anderson as champ in the UFC), fighting good competition, with outliers like Zulu, Bonnar...
1/5/14 9:05 AM
THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they are both pretty close IMO.

both have losses and both dominated in the most impressive fashion possible.

but one dominated the 85%+ finishing rate HW division for 10 yrs and one dominated the weakest MW division for 7 yrs.

and for the 100th time, to those mentioning the "cans" Fedor fought. those were EXTRA fights! he fought 3-5 times a year while Andy/GSP fight 1-2 times a yr. SOOOOOOOOOOO Fedor fought his 1-3 top 5 contenders, PLUS a couple EXTRA Freak show fights on top. THAT should give him EXTRA points, not hurt his legacy.

during their primes, GSP fought ONE time a yr TWICE. Fedor fought (& finished most) FIVE times a year FOUR Times.

you can say GSP had tougher comp, but not really. Fedor was fighting his top comp JUST as much as GSP, but with EXTRA Freak show fights in there.

if GSP fought a couple giants/freaks in between his top contender fights, the TUF Noobs would swing on his nuts SOOOOOOOOO Hard it would be unbearable on here. but somehow Fedor gets no credit for it.
1/5/14 9:18 AM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor beats Andy's ass and Georges ass so that makes him GOAT. After a few years we can talk Cain overtaking him but not two little dudes. My lord, come on. Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 1:11 PM
Neil McCauley

Entreri - GOAT is up for grabs, my list would be GSP, Anderson and Fedor.

Neither Fedor nor Anderson avenged ANY losses. Fedor's TKO "loss" to a Japanese can early in his career not counted (it was not a loss to begin with).

Anderson beat Henderson, Fedor lost to Henderson. Anderson lost early in his career in Pride.

Positives and negatives to both. Both had real reigns for about 5 years (Fedor as champ Pride, Anderson as champ in the UFC), fighting good competition, with outliers like Zulu, Bonnar...
Tk was a "Japanese can" !?

You are a full blown retard Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 1:20 PM
FETT_UGCTT_LnPninja

JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick - Fedor beats Andy's ass and Georges ass so that makes him GOAT. After a few years we can talk Cain overtaking him but not two little dudes. My lord, come on. Phone Post 3.0

ONe of the rare few like D241 who argue GOAT based on the "absolutes" of who would beat who and ignore divisions. It's an odd opinion to me. Sugar Ray would lost to a TON of HW boxers but he is still the GOAT in many many many opinions.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.